Idea to Gain Lean Muscle

I’ve come up with an idea that sounds good on the surface to me but I’m not sure if it would actually work?

I’ve always been told to eat/drink protein before bed because thats when your body uses it best etc. So I thought why not do that, and wake up in the middle of the night to eat tuna.

It has 30g protein per can, with no fat and no carbs (hence lean muscle mass)… would this work, any thoughts?

Dont they give out nobel peace prizes and shit for ideas like this?

[quote]MAV07 wrote:
I’ve come up with an idea that sounds good on the surface to me but I’m not sure if it would actually work.

I’ve always been told to eat/drink protein before bed because thats when your body uses it best etc. So I thought why not do that, and wake up in the middle of the night to eat tuna.

It has 30g protein per can, with no fat and no carbs (hence lean muscle mass)… would this work, any thoughts?[/quote]

i think the sleep you would miss would be more benificial then the tuna

Yeah, if you can muster the discipline to do it. Eating a can of tuna in the middle of the night will get old fast however. Why don’t you invest in some BCAA’s instead?

Have a shake containing casein protein before bed like Metabolic Drive. Casein is slow digesting good protein source at bedtime. Then when you wake up in the middle of the night you can have your BCAA’s bedside with a glass of water and down them and right back to bed.

Take care,

D

[quote]MAV07 wrote:
I’ve come up with an idea that sounds good on the surface to me but I’m not sure if it would actually work?

It has 30g protein per can, with no fat and no carbs (hence lean muscle mass)… would this work, any thoughts?[/quote]

That concept has been around a while. I don’t reccommend setting an alarm to wake up, but if you happen to wake up to use the bathroom, etc. then its a good idea to consume some protein. I don’t know about you but the easiest way for me would be a pre mixed shake by my bed. Who wants to take the time to eat tuna at 3am anyway?

If you are eating enough of the right foods throughout the day you should have no problem putting on muscle mass.

As far as night-time goes, just use a slow-digesting protein and some olive oil and SLEEP!.

In my opinion you should not disturb yourself in the middle of the night by waking up and eating, unless for some reason you cannot eat very much during the day and it is still possible to get a lot of sleep.

Thanks for the responses everyone… I didn’t know it was an idea thats been around before, just a thought on my part.

I understand the importance of sleep though so I may just limit it to when I get up. As far as the BCAA’s go- what would they do for you in the middle of the night in comparison to just regular protein in Tuna. I understand there amino acids but I’m unfamiliar with what they actually do. I thought they were to prevent muscle breakdown while training?

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Dont they give out nobel peace prizes and shit for ideas like this?[/quote]

LOL!!

As already stated. Try a protein shake containing casein. I use a 12 hr. muscle feeder that contains casein and BCAA’s. I mix the powder with milk. I wake up feeling much more rested and recovered. Just my 2 cents.

[quote]MAV07 wrote:
Thanks for the responses everyone… I didn’t know it was an idea thats been around before, just a thought on my part.

I understand the importance of sleep though so I may just limit it to when I get up. As far as the BCAA’s go- what would they do for you in the middle of the night in comparison to just regular protein in Tuna. I understand there amino acids but I’m unfamiliar with what they actually do. I thought they were to prevent muscle breakdown while training?[/quote]

Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. You would be getting amino acids from the tuna you ate. Go into the T-Nation store and read the info article for BCAA’s for a better understanding.

D

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Dont they give out nobel peace prizes and shit for ideas like this? [/quote]

That was good!

[quote]MAV07 wrote:

I understand the importance of sleep though so I may just limit it to when I get up. As far as the BCAA’s go- what would they do for you in the middle of the night in comparison to just regular protein in Tuna. I understand there amino acids but I’m unfamiliar with what they actually do. I thought they were to prevent muscle breakdown while training?[/quote]

If you really want to work tuna into this schedule, eat it before bed. It’s one thing to wake up for a piss and down either a pre-made protein shake or some tablets, but its a waste of sleep time to eat tuna.

Also consider a whey protein shake as soon as you get up. Most people don’t have breakfast until about an hour after waking so a quick protein shake will get the body going.

MAV07, your idea may not have been original, but at least you’re thinking!

Alright cool, thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it and will keep all suggestions in mind!

Why not just make friends with a nurse that can hook you up with an IV? That way you could have a Metabolic Drive shake drip going all night long.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Why not just make friends with a nurse that can hook you up with an IV? That way you could have a Metabolic Drive shake drip going all night long.[/quote]

I second this. Although, I did this with Spike Shooters in my last week of 20 rep squats. Worked like a charm.

Ok, I know this may sound simple but it really is the best advice. Eat above your maintenance level calories with clean foods, then work your ass off in the gym using a smart program focusing on strength. A can of tuna is not going to make up for being in a hypocaloric state and if you are in a hypercaloric state, a can of tuna isn’t going to make any difference.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Why not just make friends with a nurse that can hook you up with an IV? That way you could have a Metabolic Drive shake drip going all night long.[/quote]

I used to make these IV solutions for protein studies and should warn you that Metabolic Drive will clog the catheter. I’d stick to dilute Surge if using IV.

[quote]MAV07 wrote:

When you sleep your GI system shuts down. Your normal digestive enzymes are not produced during sleep. So the normal process of food being broken down and being transported throughout the body does not function when you are sleeping.

Food in the stomach when you sleep is quickly stored, mostly as fat. Protein, carbs, and fat are all stored as fat if you eat and then sleep a few minutes after. The process of fats carbs and sometimes protein being broken down into glycogen and being stored in the muscle does not occur while you sleep.

The only thing that really occurs when you eat just before sleep is that you gain fat. This fat may be later used, but that is not what occurs during sleep.

So if you need to gain fat, eat before you sleep. If not, don’t do it.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
Why not just make friends with a nurse that can hook you up with an IV? That way you could have a Metabolic Drive shake drip going all night long.

I used to make these IV solutions for protein studies and should warn you that Metabolic Drive will clog the catheter. I’d stick to dilute Surge if using IV.[/quote]

IV solutionS designed for nutritional purposes are called Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN). These mixtures have to be precisely designed to avoid vein irritation or inflammation and possible infection. So aside from a non-sclerotic mixture, the solution needs to be prepared in a sterile environment.

So the bottom line of sticking non-homeostatic solutions in your veins is; DON’T DO IT!

[quote]Lorisco wrote:
David Barr wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

I used to make these IV solutions for protein studies and should warn you that Metabolic Drive will clog the catheter. I’d stick to dilute Surge if using IV.

IV solutionS designed for nutritional purposes are called Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN). These mixtures have to be precisely designed to avoid vein irritation or inflammation and possible infection. So aside from a non-sclerotic mixture, the solution needs to be prepared in a sterile environment.

So the bottom line of sticking non-homeostatic solutions in your veins is; DON’T DO IT!
[/quote]

I’ve been way off before, but I have a feeling that Dave was joking :]

Here’s a novel idea: eat more. This shit isn’t rocket science.