Icky!! Chalk On My Hands

Ok so I have a question:
I live down here is South Carolina ( Yea I never heard of the place either until 3 years ago when I heard Clemson was in this “state”) and South Carolina Barbell Club isn’t far from me. Another Spud recommended powerlifting gym is about 2minutes from my place.

My question is, do you think the really strong guys get annoyed when a weak kid joins their gym? I’m not strong by powerlifting standards but I really want to learn and get better. haha I guess I should sack up and join, I just don’t want to be that weak kid that every looks at and thinks “why is he here?”

From what I understand, most of the powerlifters are nice guys and like to help others. You just have to listen, work hard and make sure you are not always under thier feet.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Ok so I have a question:
I live down here is South Carolina ( Yea I never heard of the place either until 3 years ago when I heard Clemson was in this “state”) and South Carolina Barbell Club isn’t far from me. Another Spud recommended powerlifting gym is about 2minutes from my place.

My question is, do you think the really strong guys get annoyed when a weak kid joins their gym? I’m not strong by powerlifting standards but I really want to learn and get better. haha I guess I should sack up and join, I just don’t want to be that weak kid that every looks at and thinks “why is he here?”[/quote]

I would say the vast majority of us started out as the skinny weak kid. As long as you aren’t doing barbell curls in the squat rack you will be fine.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Ok so I have a question:

My question is, do you think the really strong guys get annoyed when a weak kid joins their gym? I’m not strong by powerlifting standards but I really want to learn and get better. haha I guess I should sack up and join, I just don’t want to be that weak kid that every looks at and thinks “why is he here?”[/quote]

I don’t want to claim this is my quote because some big guy is going to come and use me for hammer curls for stealing his line but IMO it’s NEVER where you start off that counts, it’s NEVER your genetics that matters, it’s NEVER the numbers you put up. All that counts is you busting your ass. IF you go to a gym where the majority of guys think the opposite, then I’m sorry, but they are a bunch of assholes.

I remeber two guys in HS football. One was BIG. Maybe 6’4" and 340 pounds. The other was 5’8" ish and under 200 I believe, small guy in terms of actual space taken up.

Want to know who lifted more, who looked better, who was the kickass contender? The small guy. But WAIT! The other guy is bigger! YES, he was. But he didn’t do his job in the weight room and he screwed around a lot while the other guy had passion and commitment to excellence.

I’m not powerlifter, body builder, or world renowned or even locally known guy, but I’d bet you the real men of the sport would rather lift with some 100 pound guy who does his job then some 350 pound animal who doesn’t take anything serious.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh ye and 4est, make some space on the floor because I am going to be your new roommate. I ENVY YOU.

This is an awesome thread. You’re lucky 4est.

4est,
Have you had a chance to use the mono squat atand yet? That is one piece of equipment I have not seen in a gym yet, but would like to try out someday? If so, have you used one before? I’d be interested in hearing how it compares to walking out.

[quote]superdad4 wrote:
4est,
Have you had a chance to use the mono squat atand yet? That is one piece of equipment I have not seen in a gym yet, but would like to try out someday? If so, have you used one before? I’d be interested in hearing how it compares to walking out.[/quote]

I don’t think he can squat. Something about a wheelchair.

[quote]superdad4 wrote:
4est,
Have you had a chance to use the mono squat atand yet? That is one piece of equipment I have not seen in a gym yet, but would like to try out someday? If so, have you used one before? I’d be interested in hearing how it compares to walking out.[/quote]

lol… Nope. I’m a paraplegic. It’s been 21 years since I’ve squated. I had horrible form too.

congrats on finding an good gym. they are few and far between in tulsa. I use to work out at access fitness off of 46th and mingo. that was a pretty cool gym. it used those proximity cards too and you could anytime 24/7 all year.

[quote]4est wrote:

lol… Nope. I’m a paraplegic. It’s been 21 years since I’ve squated. I had horrible form too.
[/quote]

Oh, sorry 4test. I didn’t realize.

Make T-Nation proud, 4est :slight_smile: And then post the requisite photos, OK?

PS: Have you started growing a goatee yet?

[quote]Miserere wrote:
Make T-Nation proud, 4est :slight_smile: And then post the requisite photos, OK?

PS: Have you started growing a goatee yet?[/quote]

That’s a great idea! Add that to the horseshoe flat top. Seriously. New gym needs a new attitude.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
Miserere wrote:

That’s a great idea! Add that to the horseshoe flat top. Seriously. New gym needs a new attitude.

[/quote]

I can only grow a goatee on my chin and I’ve had one of those for about a decade. It’s just really short right now. If I grow the full thing, blonde hairs make it look all lopsided. I may give it another try. Getting flat top redone in one or 2 days - it will be VERY close to a high-n-tight. I think shaving a horseshoe would cause me to have a REALLY bad zit outbreak. Stupid nancy-boy skin.

Kim did not make it to the gym tonight. He got called out on uh…Juvenile officer thing. :frowning: He is doing his last regular (able bodied) meet on the 15 but I can’t go to it due to a family reunion. Kim is competing on the 29th in a paralympic/disabled type meet so I can go to that one. I’ll definitely post pics when able.

Also, I may get some pics of Monday’s chest training.

-edit I just ordered a Testosterone T-shirt. I’ll wear it to meets and whenever I get pics with Kim.

[quote]4est wrote:
PGJ wrote:
Miserere wrote:

I can only grow a goatee on my chin and I’ve had one of those for about a decade. It’s just really short right now. If I grow the full thing, blonde hairs make it look all lopsided. I may give it another try. Getting flat top redone in one or 2 days - it will be VERY close to a high-n-tight. I think shaving a horseshoe would cause me to have a REALLY bad zit outbreak. Stupid nancy-boy skin.

Kim did not make it to the gym tonight. He got called out on uh…Juvenile officer thing. :frowning: He is doing his last regular (able bodied) meet on the 15 but I can’t go to it due to a family reunion. Kim is competing on the 29th in a paralympic/disabled type meet so I can go to that one. I’ll definitely post pics when able.

Also, I may get some pics of Monday’s chest training.

-edit I just ordered a Testosterone T-shirt. I’ll wear it to meets and whenever I get pics with Kim.[/quote]

Post some pics of the new flat top. The only time I ever got those bumps was when I used to have my head shaved with a razor. Clipper-short won’t cause bumps.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
Post some pics of the new flat top. The only time I ever got those bumps was when I used to have my head shaved with a razor. Clipper-short won’t cause bumps.
[/quote]

Lovely…just … Lovely.

The flat top was off center by at least an inch. When I got home and saw just how lopsided the damn thing was, I took the clippers to it. >:| I am not amused. In a month I’ll go looking for another barber and get a flat top again.

anyone looking for a gym in the mass area shoot me a p.m.

[quote]4est wrote:
PGJ wrote:

Lovely…just … Lovely.

The flat top was off center by at least an inch. When I got home and saw just how lopsided the damn thing was, I took the clippers to it. >:| I am not amused. In a month I’ll go looking for another barber and get a flat top again.[/quote]

That sucks! A bad flat top is a terrible thing. Good luck.

[quote]4est wrote:
UPDATE!

Tonight the co-owner, Tony, trained me on chest.

• First bench routine on a comp bench
  • First use of Chalk
  • First use of Wrist Wraps
  • Worked on “powerlifting” style with a greater emphasis on tris.
  • PR on incline DB press by about 20lbs
  • PR on DB pullovers
  • I’ve been invited to train chest days with Tony and the other big mofos.
    [/quote]

You’re powerlifting now. You no longer train bodyparts. You didn’t train chest today, you trained bench.

[quote]Ike wrote:

You’re powerlifting now. You no longer train bodyparts. You didn’t train chest today, you trained bench.[/quote]

That’s the question I have: I wanna get bigger first and foremost, and in accordance with that goal I put alot of effort into getting stronger. However, training powerlifting only is not what I’m about.

So, assuming that I train seriously and do go through the occasional strength-focused cycles, but still directly train arms and abs and such, how would a guy like me fit in at a place like that?

I wanna train at a place that bleeds intensity and focus and blasts heavy music, but because I’m not a powerlifter I don’t wanna get shit-talked behind my back.

What do you guys think, honestly?