T Nation

Icky!! Chalk On My Hands

So… last night while avoiding sleep, I happened to look back through “6 Lost Lifters”. It linked to a powerlifting gym directory. I’ve checked Tulsa before and not seen any hardcore gyms but thought, “what the heck”. A powerlifing gym was listed. I called the listed number and hoped to hear an answering message. I only heard ringing.

Today, while at work, the call was returned. BINGO. It’s a “new” gym and they are still painting it and getting the inside somewhat presentable. The co-owner and Mrs. co-owner were on their way to the gym so I swung by. The gym has access card so it is unattended at times.

Anyway, upon arrival I meet the gym owner, wife and son-in-law (I think. I have hell keeping up with names and who is who). The owner and in-law were HUGE. Nobody would question if these guys were serious. Also, the stereo was blaring out some newer HEAVY music - another good sign.

Once past the entryway, some of the walls were painted and some were not. There was just some basic solid equipment in the main room. It DID include TWO Forza benches, and 2, 3 and 4 boards. :slight_smile: Very nice. I’ve actually never used a regulation bench until tonight. Those things are comfy. The back room had some more basic equipment.

PLUS, they had a huge Mono Style Squat Stand. I forgot the brand but its similar to this one but has a bigger base: www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=167&pid=194

Naturally, they also had some chalk in the back room. It was in an 8" mixing bowl on top of a stand made from 2x4s. That sucker will never get “lost”.

So, I gave them $30 bucks for a month?s membership and scooted home to change clothes. I learned my lesson long ago about working out commando. I still think one testicle is smaller. I also hit some Power Drive and got Spiked.

I return to see more big guys in this modest gym and one kid that looked young (turned out he was 17) and had a little muscle on him. He did DB presses with 105 lbs. I almost shat myself. The guy on the bench had 10 plates on the bar… 0.o … Yeah, these guys are serious.

Tony, the co-owner I had already met introduced me, to the other owner. He asked me if I competed. Before I could answer “No”, Tony said, “Oh, he’s going to”. The owners are friends with Kim Brownfield the powerlifter who was stricken with polio as a child.

www.benchpresschampion.com/CHAMPIONS/KimBrownfield.htm

So they were ready to push me about 30 seconds after entering the gym.

I just had a modest shoulder/bi/tri workout. Disturbed was BLARING through the speakers. It was soooooo much better than the gag reflex caused by Madonna at my last gym. People were sweating, pushing big weight and TCB.

By the time I was leaving, one owner, Terry (I think he was one of the owners … I met too many people tonight) and a different kid around 17 were the only two left. Earlier, the kid had been pushing some decent weights on bench but I was not paying too much attention at the time as my delts were cursing me.

On my way out, I was introduced to this guy. Chris was his name and he was sticking around to help paint the walls. He just seemed like your average unassuming kid. After Chris and I shook hands, Terry said, “Chris is the guy I was telling you about earlier. He set 8 world records last weekend in Missouri and he’s only 17”.

My jaw hit the floor. Then Terry said, “That puts him up to 17 world records now.”

Yeah… I shat myself.

I so wish there was a gym like that near me. The closest ones are too far to drive to work out everyday and it pisses me off. I mean, the gum I go is fine, but I wish there were more serious lifters there, because there are only a very small few, and I’m part of that group, which is pathetic. I’d love to see people lift weights that make me go “god damn!” But alas no one does.

I’m moving to Tulsa (wherever the fuck that is).

I can only dream of working out in a gym like that.

I’m definitely one of the smaller, weaker guys there. However, I will be surrounded by a lot of greatness. Now I just have to keep my mouth shut and listen to them.

[quote]4est wrote:
I’m definitely one of the smaller, weaker guys there. However, I will be surrounded by a lot of greatness. Now I just have to keep my mouth shut and listen to them.[/quote]

See, that’s what I want. I want to walk in a gym and think to myself “I aint shit compared to these dudes” and feel humble. That feeling gives me drive, and there aren’t many I see in my gym that gives me that drive.

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
See, that’s what I want. I want to walk in a gym and think to myself “I aint shit compared to these dudes” and feel humble. That feeling gives me drive, and there aren’t many I see in my gym that gives me that drive.[/quote]

Back when I was in college, Thelonius Monk JR. came to the school to play at the new Jazz Lab. He gave a very informal and personal Q and A in one of the conference rooms too. The room was mostly filled with music students.

Thelonius was asked how he got to his high, professional level. He explained that thanks to his dad, he was always surrounded by “greats”. He continued to surround himself by people of higher caliber. He suggested that everybody surrond themselves by people who are at a higher level. That is advice I’ve attempted to follow over the years.

Your post is spot on.

UPDATE!

Tonight the co-owner, Tony, trained me on chest.

• First bench routine on a comp bench

• First use of Chalk

• First use of Wrist Wraps

• Worked on “powerlifting” style with a greater emphasis on tris.

• PR on incline DB press by about 20lbs

• PR on DB pullovers

• I’ve been invited to train chest days with Tony and the other big mofos.

• I’m still weaker than a LOT of people here BUT Tony said when I’m benching 300+ we will get me a shirt. :slight_smile: BTW, this is the first time I’ve actually done Barbell bench in years. I’ve just been using DBs and working out alone.

• Tomorrow night, the strongest man in Oklahoma and multiple record holder will be there TRAINING - Kim Brownfield. He is a record holder in both Paralympics and regular bench meets. He’s mostly competed in standard contests and is the coach of the Paralympic team. I’ve been invited to meet him. Two main things I want: 1) just to meet him and shake his hand 2) To see a person that benches over 600 lbs train!

To say I’m excited about this gym is an understatement.

Kim Brownfield

Kim Brownfield 2

Damn man! Looks good.

Go get 'em.

-MAtt

Powerlifting gyms for the win.

Dude, I’m jealous. Sounds like a sweet set up. Now you need to get a real high n’ tight with a horseshoe flat top to really show them your serious.

[quote]4est wrote:
Now I just have to keep my mouth shut…[/quote]

HA! I dont think thats possible!

That gym sounds badass! I wish you the best of luck Forest! :slight_smile: I know you’ll push yourself as you have in the past (much harder of course) and make better gains than you ever have!

Hopefully they get you so fucking jacked you can kill the person that gave you that haircut…

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

You are a lucky bastard. My gym here in the UK is definitely more hard core than a standard fitness center, but still a far, far cry from your new setup. You’re gonna make great gains.

Hey 4est, I live in OKC. What part of town is this gym located? I actually don’t have a current phone book for some reason.
Thanks

Ooops, never mind. I re-read and saw that you said Tulsa. Oh well. You are VERY lucky to have found such a place.

[quote]vinnie the nose wrote:
Hey 4est, I live in OKC. What part of town is this gym located? I actually don’t have a current phone book for some reason.
Thanks
[/quote]

It’s on Admiral PLACE between Harvard and Yale. That is just North of I-244. The gym uses access cards and is empty part of the time. If you show from about 5-8 PM, the owners are usually around.

Damn that gym sounds sweet! I have to workout at the local YMCA and it sucks balls. It’s small, but atleast they have 2 power cages. So, it’s not all bad.

I would love to workout in a gym that would strike fear into the hearts of the pop-collared 100 set curl boys. Did that last sentence make any sense?

To sum up, i’m jealous. Now go lift some weights ya pansy! LOL

Outstanding. Gets me pumped just reading about it.