Iceman My Fighting Life, By Chuck Liddell

Iceman: My Fighting Life, By Chuck Liddell

Admittedly, I am not a Chuck Liddell fan. I appreciate that he is a huge star and brings lots of fans to the UFC. I appreciate the hard work he puts into put on a big show whenever he is on a card. I appreciate the sacrifice he makes on behalf of the UFC, but I am just not a fan. His style isn�??t for me. His interviews are dry, I don�??t like his Mohawk. With that being said, I did enjoy Chuck�??s book.

Iceman is another book in what is the latest trend, MMA autobiographies. Just like Mick Foley�??s book opened the door for other wrestlers at the height of WWE�??s success; Matt Hughes, Chuck Liddell, Jens Pulver are now testing the waters in the MMA market with Tito Ortiz and Randy Couture rumored to be following.

Like any other autobiography, Chuck�??s story starts off in childhood giving a background to who he is. He grew up with a single mom and his grandfather was his biggest male role model. He speaks very highly of pops. Chuck is a smart guy; he went to college on an academic scholarship and developed a rep as a tough wrestler.

The interesting parts, of course, revolve around his love of fighting. Dana White has said on numerous radio and TV interviews that the reason these guys are so great, is they are wired differently. I would agree. Chuck repeatedly talks about how much he loves to fight. I think the normal reaction would be not to fight, to avoid fighting. Chuck (I assume all other MMA stars as well) loves fighting. He talks with great passion about his training session and his mentors and teachers in the Martial Arts / kickboxing scene. He clearly has a hunger and a drive to constantly improve and learn.

This story is far less nomadic than other autobiographies from wrestlers or even pro football players. Chuck spends some time fighting in Vegas, Japan, or South America, but he never has to live there. He grew up in California, went to school in California, and still lives there. Aside from the actual fighting, it seems like an easier road to follow than being an NFL star where you go to college, then get drafted, then traded etc.

What I found very fascinating was the discussion of the fights themselves. Chuck talks in great recollection about what he was thinking during key fights in his career. He discuses in-fight strategy and how it changes as the fight progresses. He breaks down stances and nuances that even a savvy MMA fan would have a tough time picking up on. He talks about how one little mistake can be your down fall (such as the Rampage UFC fight).

I had to shake my head at his hypocrisy in a few parts. He repeatedly calls Tito Ortiz a punk and a coward for not fighting him. He talks about being the number one contender for a while and Tito constantly ducking him (making a movie, which seems like smart exposure move for any athlete, whose career could end in an instant). What I feel Chuck doesn�??t look at is the money side of things. Tito has been on record as saying that he didn�??t like the deal. In his book, Chuck says he never was about the money; but to me that doesn�??t mean no one else can be. It is still a business and a job and your window is small as a pro athlete, doesn�??t it make sense to make as much as you can? The ironic part of this, Chuck talks about Dana being his manager earlier in the book. Chuck�??s first contract with UFC was coming up and Dana was telling him not to sign the next one because it wasn�??t worth it. If Chuck really wasn�??t about the money he would have told Dana to forget it and signed the contract. Instead Chuck went to fight in Pride. So when Chuck holds out for money he is making a smart move and listening to his manager, when Tito does it he is a punk. I am sure that UFC had some fights lined up for Chuck as soon as he signed that contract, by not signing was Chuck ducking someone else, could he be labeled a punk by one of his potential opponents?

More hypocrisy ensues as soon as Chuck wins the light heavyweight belt from Couture. Chuck has to fight Vernon White (who?). In his book, Chuck claims that Vernon said Chuck was ducking him. The only response Chuck has to that claim is “Not likely.” So when Chuck thinks someone is ducking him, that person must be a punk, but there is no way Chuck could ever be perceived as ducking someone else.

He continues his written assault on Tito as he talks about the events leading to their rematch. He says Tito�??s antics were designed to draw attention to himself (DUH) and that he was again being disrespectful and a punk. Since Chuck is admittedly a dull interview, wouldn�??t it be smart of Tito to create some buzz around the fight? To this day, that second fight between Tito and Chuck is one of the top two UFC PPVs of ALL TIME, in terms of buys. Chuck even takes credit for that in the book. As Rowdy Piper once said (and I�??m paraphrasing), do you really think they liked you that much, or just hated me?

Despite my criticisms, I enjoyed the book. It was a nice ride through the UFC, I await other MMA stars�?? stories as well. As I mentioned, I didn�??t come into the book as a Liddell fan and he didn�??t win me over. But I would still recommend this book to fight fans, especially those who have crossed over from wrestling fans

This is a really long first post that I did not read.

[quote]Chris Jordan wrote:
Chuck has to fight Vernon White (who?).
[/quote]

Vernon White is an OG in the MMA world. Dude was fighting in Pancrase before the UFC even existed. He was on the first Pancrase card along with Ken Shamrock, Bas Rutten, Mas Funaki, and Minoru Suzuki. He has fought for damn near every major MMA promoter. His record ain’t all that great, but Vernon White deserves respect as one of the founding fathers of the sport.

That said, he was running his mouth something fierce about Liddell. He still is to this day even after Chuck laid a beating on him.

[quote]SouthernGypsy wrote:
This is a really long first post that I did not read.[/quote]

Sorry, southern redne …er Gypsy. From now on I’ll keep my posts short and monosyllabic for you.

SouthernGypsy wrote:

Sorry, southern redne …er Gypsy. From now on I’ll keep my posts short and monosyllabic for you.[/quote]

Good. We unsmart here.

TLDNR

I know 0% about the book.
But it’s fair too assume that while Chuck is easily one of the best fighters, he is also among the dumbest.
Probably 99% is written and exaggerated by a ghost writer.

SouthernGypsy wrote:

Sorry, southern redne …er Gypsy. From now on I’ll keep my posts short and monosyllabic for you.[/quote]

Or you could do everyone a favor and quit posting entirely.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
But it’s fair too assume that while Chuck is easily one of the best fighters, he is also among the dumbest.
[/quote]

Nah.

Chuck’s just a lousy public speaker and a bit of a lush. Complete dumbasses don’t go to Cal Poly on an academic scholarship and graduate with an accounting degree.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
Schwarzfahrer wrote:

Nah.

Chuck’s just a lousy public speaker and a bit of a lush. Complete dumbasses don’t go to Cal Poly on an academic scholarship and graduate with an accounting degree.[/quote]

Yeah, give me a break. He's far from dumb.

[quote]SouthernGypsy wrote:
Chris Jordan wrote:
SouthernGypsy wrote:

Sorry, southern redne …er Gypsy. From now on I’ll keep my posts short and monosyllabic for you.

Or you could do everyone a favor and quit posting entirely.[/quote]

i think he took your advice…

I wish I had that power when my girlfriend is talking about her day at work.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
Schwarzfahrer wrote:

Nah.

Chuck’s just a lousy public speaker and a bit of a lush. Complete dumbasses don’t go to Cal Poly on an academic scholarship and graduate with an accounting degree.[/quote]

I went to Cal Poly so that’s just proof that dumbasses don’t go there. Although I didn’t get scholarships.

[quote]I know 0% about the book.
[/quote]

Why do people get this impression?

They also Wanderlei Silva is dumb, but that man speaks 3 languages.

He speaks English pretty well now.

I think that kind of talk is just jealousy from the speaker.

They figure for someone to be so physically powerful they must be retarded.

[quote]Sikkario wrote:
I…m retarded.[/quote]

These fighters dont talk much,they let their fist (Knees,Elbows,Shins,ect.,) do the talking. Im pretty sure about any professional fighter you would meet is going to be either Shy or Anti-Social. They are wire differently,remember?

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
I know 0% about the book.

[/quote]

Please go back to the political forum if you can do no better than this.

You are talking out of your ass.

It is probably even more fair to assume that Chuck is way smarter than you are. Or at the very least, Liddell knows when to keep his mouth shut when he is clueless about the subject at hand.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
Chuck Liddell sounds like an uneducated, drug addict who has been hit in the head far too many times.

Anyone who thinks that he is good for the sport is misguided. Those who are not connected with mma, or don’t follow the sport laugh at him whenever he’s on a talk show.

But, yea…he can fight…[/quote]

He is not a talker. But to think he is not good for the sport is just idiocy.

He’s the first rockstar of the sport here in the US. Too bad he got the shit knocked out of him the first fight after getting the ESPN The Magazine cover.

Show me where I am misguided. Your opinion is hardly the things facts are made of - especially when it comes to things you are so obviously wrong about.

Of course it’s possible to make assumptions about a person’s intellect based on interviews, to a certain point.

Champion or not, doesn’t matter, Chuck is by far the dumbest MMA fighter I’ve ever listened to. No shyness or anti social streek. Just plain stupidity.
And I can’t think of any other MMA athlete, champion or not, that I’d label that way.

I’m not sure if he was really bad for the sport. Though a more eloquent, charismatic speaker would have been better, of course.