T Nation

Ice Hockey Routine Help Needed

Hi all. I am an ice hockey official and am heading to a prospects camp in late August. So, I have roughly 3 months to prepare. I currently have a basic Push-Pull workout routine, which I will outline below. I need help adding in things, or altering things, that would directly help my ability to skate, move, agility, speed, size, strength, etc.

My first and foremost goal is to gain weight. I am 20yrs old, 6’3" 179lbs. I want to hit about 190 if possible before the camp. I am currently taking Creatine Liquid 5mg, just finished the loading phase, and am doing the maintenance phase by taking one dose everyday.

Now the workout I currently have:

All sets are done as follows:

Set 1 - 10 to 12 reps - Medium Weight
Set 2 - 8 to 10 reps - Medium to Heavy Weight
Set 3 - 8 to 10 reps - Medium to Heavy Weight
Set 4 - 8 to 10 reps - Medium to Heavy Weight
Set 5 - 8 to 10 reps - Medium to Heavy Weight (Optional Set)

Monday - Push Day
Flat Bench [or Incline Bench] - Chest
Dumbbell Press [Flat or Incline] - Chest
Military Press - Shoulders
French Curls [Brain Busters] - Triceps [Substitute Close Grip Bench]
Standing Cleans - Upper Body [Substitute Dips]

Wednesday - Pull Day
Lat Pull Down - Outer Back [Substitute Low Row]
Deadlifts - Overall Back [Substitute T-Bar Rows Close or Wide Grip]
Barbell Curls - Biceps [Substitute Dumbbells]
Shrugs - Traps [Substitute Upright Rows (angle)]

Friday - Legs
Leg Extensions - Front Quads
Leg Curls - Hamstrings
Squats - Over All Leg [Substitute Hack Squats]
Leg Press - Over All Leg
Lunges - Over All Leg [Substitute Straight Leg Deadlifts]
Cal Raises - Calfs

Among these exercises I am incorporating various sit-ups, crunches, pushups, and wide grip chinups. Also, I am running roughly 1.5 to 2 miles every other day

Now, what I am looking to change is things that I use to do. I use to stand with one leg bent on an air pocket thing while doing my curls and balance, used the big balls in the gym, etc. I’m not to well-versed here with workouts, so bear with me.

Like I said, I need to gain size as quickly as possible without losing mobility, agility, and speed. It would be great if I could further work on those areas too!

Thanks in advance.

Hey Ex,

If you’re looking to drop hockey and become an amature bodybuilder, that’s an awesome set/rep scheme. But since you want to stay on the ice, get bigger, and perform better, I’d like to drop the reps, increase the sets, and increase the weight a bit.

I believe Thibaudeau has worked with many hockey players. I hear, in Canada, they teach you to skate before they teach you the alphabet. So, you might want to ask him a question on his Locker Room thread.

Also, I think a general strength/size routine like Thib’s Renassaince Bodybuilding:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=700722

or Waterbury’s SOB Training:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=561180
could be a good choice.

Question: Why are you taking creatine? It’s been pretty much agreed on by ‘those in the know’ that the liquid form is crap. If you’re going to take it, take the micronized powder and mix it right after your workout.
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1085045
I’d also stick with the basics: A protein supplement, fish oil, ZMA, and a specific post workout drink.

[quote]Among these exercises I am incorporating various sit-ups, crunches, pushups, and wide grip chinups.[/quote] Probably unnecessary. Choose a well-designed program and stick with it. Tossing in extras like that, in addition to regular hockey practices, will only drain your energy.

[quote]Also, I am running roughly 1.5 to 2 miles every other day[/quote] Very unnecessary. Stick with sprint intervals. Running very fast for a while, then slower for a while. It’s much more sport specific.

And, for the record (before anyone else chew’s you out for it), at 6’3 and 179 pounds, I don’t know how you haven’t been snapped into pieces already. Bro, for the love of Wayne Gretszky, eat some freakin’ food. Even if you get up to 200, you’ll be on the slender side.

Hello Colluci.

Sorry in taking so long to reply, I had completely lost this thread but finally managed to find it.

I just went ahead and looked at both of the programs you recommended and have come across a few problems. First off, Thib’s program that features things like the sled pulls and the sledgehammer movements, I don’t have access to those types of materials and exercises here. I am working out in a facility that is state of the art, but it doesn’t allow me to take weights outside of the weight arena.

The next problem I noticed is the second workout, the SOB Training Program. It doesn’t really feature anything for speed and mobility and balance, it seems to be relatively the same as my push pull exercise with some alterations. Also, I am not experienced enough to know what exercises to put into place here with each suggested target area on each day.

On top of all of that, I am taking Creatine in order to try and put some mass on now, then fill in later. I added quite a few pounds (roughly 5 in the first week alone after loading) when doing the push/pull routine with the creatine liquid (5mg dosage).

Also, I ended up killing the running as that has nothing to do and won’t help me in hockey. Ice hockey requires explosion movements and rapid bursts of speed, so I started using sprints as you suggested and 30 seconds high intensity 30 seconds normal on a bike.

However, Thibs program looks like exactly what I am looking for! It ideally has everything I want in it, I just need to make a few alterations and such. I am going to post to him and see what maybe he could suggest to me.

Thanks again, and look forward to hearing back from you.

I believe Thibs has a program specifically for ice hockey players. I don’t remember exactly where I remember reading that, but I believe it was Christian.

You might want to send him a PM and ask him about it.

[quote]Myllz wrote:
I believe Thibs has a program specifically for ice hockey players. I don’t remember exactly where I remember reading that, but I believe it was Christian.

You might want to send him a PM and ask him about it.[/quote]

Hey, yeah thanks. I ended up leaving him a post in his Locker Room thread, so hopefully he will reply on that and get back to me on it.

Thanks for the advice.

Is there any way to possibly search for it on the site, or is there no real section for routines etc?

There’s a lot of good stuff in this thread. Good luck!

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=797670

[quote]Exdeus wrote:
I am taking Creatine in order to try and put some mass on now, then fill in later. I added quite a few pounds (roughly 5 in the first week alone after loading) when doing the push/pull routine with the creatine liquid (5mg dosage).[/quote]

So what’s your current weight? I’ve always considered creatine more of a strength-enhancing supplement (by way of improved recovery) as opposed to a mass building supplement, but it will help as a secondary effect.

For mass/size/whatever it’s called, you simply want calories. Granted, you don’t want to gain so fast that it impacts your speed skills, but the number on the scale should be upwards, slowly and steadily.

At the top of the screen, click the “Search” button. that should open a pop-up window (make sure your computer allows them). On the right side of that window, click “Search in Articles”, then type in whatever criteria you want.

Glad to hear it’s working out for you, man. Keep at it.

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
There’s a lot of good stuff in this thread. Good luck!
http://www.T-Nation.com/...ic.do?id=797670[/quote]

A lot of good info in that thread. Nice stuff, Jilly.