Ice Cold... Glove... After Your Workout?

So… researchers at Stanford invented a “glove” that cools core body temperature:

The wild thing is that they claim it greatly improves athletic performance. They claim it’s used by several pro football teams. But what really caught my eye was their one early test subject. The guy tripled his pull-ups in six weeks–all the way to 616 pull-ups per workout session. Go figure!

I’m not sure of the physiology of all this and how it’s possible. What are the effects on hypertrophy, for example? But if the claims are even half-true, you’ll be seeing this at a powerlifting competition near you.

Pretty “cool” idea. Let’s give those guys a big hand!

It helps to lower your body temperature when you’re working hard. I’ve known of alot of IM triathletes using this ice glove as well to maintain a lower body temp.

I have heard about this, a kid I did my internship was telling me about something similar a few years back… interesing idea.

I did a little experiment with myself 2 years ago doin 6 sets of chin-ups to failure. When I did 5 minutes rest holding a bottle of frozen water, there was less drop off in the last 3 sets of chins than when I just did 5 minutes rest.

The 4 women rowers that did a strongman contest this past summer used it between events. They said the thought it helped them. Actually a couple of them set Personal Bests in the competition. We just had a cooler full of ice and water. Pretty cheap and easy and worth a try.

TNT

Acually, i think i remember this coming up on this forum before, but it disappeared into the ranks of the threads. This should definitely be looked into. anyone with more info about it? keep this thread alive! haha.

Hmmm…nice idea TNT, i’ll have to try that one one of these days, homemade version of it.

Very interesting, it would make sense if dropping the temperature lessened the amount or effect of metabolic byproducts that interfere with muscle contraction, I wonder if it has anything to do with the nervous system directly.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
Pretty “cool” idea. Let’s give those guys a big hand![/quote]

We can use these gloves to build a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude.

And yet the 49ers still suck. Go figure.

But besides that, I would love to use this one day to try it out.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:

But besides that, I would love to use this one day to try it out.[/quote]

Get yourself a pail and some ice cubes. Experiment a little bit and see if it works for you.

TNT

[quote]TNT-CDN wrote:
ukrainian wrote:

But besides that, I would love to use this one day to try it out.

Get yourself a pail and some ice cubes. Experiment a little bit and see if it works for you.

TNT
[/quote]

I will. I have always hated the high altitude sun.