T Nation

Ibuprofen vs. Fish Oil?

A doctor has recommened a friend take ibuprofen as an anti-inflamatory. I told him about fish oils. Any T-docs out there who could weigh in with an educated opinion on this? Also would there be an additive effect if you combined the two? The doc recommned 400 mgs.

Ibuprofen is generally not recommended for long term use (more than 10 days). It is metabolized in the liver and long term use can be kind of tough on it.

I’m not a doctor. (nor have I played one on TV) What is the cause of your friend needing to use ibuprofen? If it’s something that needs immediate relief and is temporary then go with the ibuprofen. But in either case fish oil is the way to go in the long run because of it’s accumulative effects.

[quote]blueknight wrote:
…But in either case fish oil is the way to go in the long run because of it’s accumulative effects.[/quote]

Agreed.

Fish oil isn’t something you “feel” working the next day, it’s effect builds up over time (weeks to months), whereas Ibuprofen is more a of temporary quick relief.

[quote]blueknight wrote:
I’m not a doctor. (nor have I played one on TV) What is the cause of your friend needing to use ibuprofen? If it’s something that needs immediate relief and is temporary then go with the ibuprofen. But in either case fish oil is the way to go in the long run because of it’s accumulative effects.[/quote]

He was having some shoulder pain. The doc recommended 400 mgs. of Ibuprfen. I am having some pain in my knee. He told me what the doc told him and said give it a try. I told him I was already taking fish oilsa(which are anti-inflaatory) so I didn’t see the point.

The doc said he could take it for a long period of time - much like taking an asprin to help combat a heartattack. I am skeptical of this advice but didn’t have any evidence to support my intuition. This is why I’m asking for some input on this forum.

[quote]Zeppelin795 wrote:
A doctor has recommened a friend take ibuprofen as an anti-inflamatory. I told him about fish oils. Any T-docs out there who could weigh in with an educated opinion on this? Also would there be an additive effect if you combined the two? The doc recommned 400 mgs. [/quote]

I love fish oil and take it daily, but it does not compare to ibuprofen for joint, skeletal, or muscular injuries. I’ve taken 800mg three times a day for two months with no problem as long as it was taken with food. It can be hard on an empty stomach.

My doc told me it was better to go with the larger dose upfront for the inflammation control vs pain relief. In the army ibuprofen is called “ranger candy” and it is reputed to fix everything short of a bilateral femur fracture. I wouldn’t worry about liver damage, your liver can regenerate.

I think fish oil is better due to the overall positive health benefits of omega 3’s.

Something interesting that came up in this article (uncited, sadly) is that taking ibuprofen to treat DOMS resulted in slighter gains in muscle among athletes. I’m assuming that we can take that to mean taking the stuff in conjunction with DOMS (i.e. not just to treat it) will inhibit muscle gains.

What happens when you take fish oil as a weightlifter? Well, certainly not that! My Flameout should be arriving tomorrow, and I’m giddy as a schoolgirl.

[quote]Fitnessdiva wrote:
I think fish oil is better due to the overall positive health benefits of omega 3’s.[/quote]

For over all health yes, but if you have an actual injury there is no contest. I once did a 12 mile ruck with an injury. I survived by eating an 800mg motrin every few miles. I doubt fish oil would have alleviated much of the pain or swelling during the activity. I will say that motrin burps pale in comparison to fish oil burps.

Unless you have a chronic joint injury, you shouldn’t be taking ibuprofen on a regular basis. Fish oil for general joint health. Ibuprofen for chronic injuries or in short stints for occassional bad flare-ups.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Unless you have a chronic joint injury, you shouldn’t be taking ibuprofen on a regular basis. Fish oil for general joint health. Ibuprofen for chronic injuries or in short stints for occassional bad flare-ups.[/quote]

A concept some people have a hard time grasping.

Agreed. My doc, who’s a sports related Orthopedist, recommended taking 800mg dailey Ibuprofen for 2 weeks only for my rotator cuff tear. That definitely reduced both pain and inflammation and the fish oil now keeps everything in check.

Another issue here is that there are many different elements which affect the bodies inflamatory system. Anti-inflamtory drugs or fish oils do not directly react upon inflamation but react on the smaller elements which mediate the process.

Complicating this there exist different levels of inflamtion.

It is unlikely that fish oil will have close to the anti-inflamatory effects of ibuprofen.

Think of the underlying processes which govern inflamation as a balance where one side gets on top of the other for extended periods of time negative outcomes will result

Advice, target the cause of the problem and ween yourself off ibuprofen as soon as possible

Long live the bodyscience