T Nation

Ibuprofen to Help DOMS?

i have a baseball tourny next weekend and

i lift on saturday and normally get pretty sore after my chest/tri's workout. would it hurt my gains if i took a couple of IBprofens before the game to help the DOM's?

Take the day off from lifting.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
Yes, it does hurt muscle hypertrophy to take ibuprofen on a scheduled basis. One dose? Na.[/quote]

Thats said all true and well many an elite athlete eat them like candy on a regular basis, strenght sports and the like

Phill

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Take the day off from lifting.[/quote]

Once again Captain Obvious failed to pay a visit to the OP and answer what should have been a self-evident question :wink:

THat said, if I was in the OP’s shoes I’d probably not a few anti-inflamms back too and do both. Not what I’d recommend tho!!

won’t hurt your gains at all. ibuprofen will reduce doms, but only the sensation of it - your performance will still be just as limited. take some, but make sure you warm up thoroughly, as this is more important.

I honestly do not think one time is going to cause any issues. If you were taking ibuprofen on a regular basis then maybe. Don’t stress.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

Once again Captain Obvious failed to pay a visit to the OP and answer what should have been a self-evident question :wink:
[/quote]

Why does ibuprofen hurt hypertrophy? Serious question.

[quote]rsg wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

Why does ibuprofen hurt hypertrophy? Serious question.[/quote]
I hear it lowers protein synthesis, or something along those lines.

It has been mentioned in several T-articles. It’s a known bad idea.

One thing that could help, is active recovery.

Do a search on active recovery techniques, you’ll find a lot.

what about icing my chest for about 15 mins would that be better??

I’d recommend “Don’t Be A Pussy”, I heard it works wonders.

Just messing with you, as long as your consistent with your diet and training, it is highly unlikely to hurt your gains.

[quote]richardson23 wrote:
what about icing my chest for about 15 mins would that be better??[/quote]

Massage, contrast showers etc all kinda of things you can try to speed recovery

phill