T Nation

Ibuprofen Interactions

OK so I had an injury to both my shoulders. Lots of physiotherapy, ice, heat and of course.... ibuprofen. Lots of ibuprofen.

Let us skip the diet and training and just call it good for the sake of keeping this short.

I would think that ibuprofen would be the number one most common drugs taken by T-Nation. It goes across the spectrum of readers and users of Biotest products. Have an injury? Are you sore? Got some inflammation in a joint? Outside the Biotest line of fantastic products I would think that 99% of the time one would reach for ibuprofen for the immediate relief.

I was just wondering about interactions between ibuprofen and Biotest products. Like are there any detrimental effects with say the ingredients of HOT-ROX, or what does it do to protein? Does it nullify the effects of Alpha Male? What about TRIBEX or Carbolin 19 or does it make them somehow mildly toxic if taken together with ibuprofen? Not just these products but all of Biotest's line. Is trans-dermal ibuprofen the answer to inactions?.. Any thoughts?

Ibuprofen has 1 nasty little side-effect: it hinders muscle growth.

That's why it's not very popular in my book and I try to limit it's use.

How does it limit muscle growth?

How does it hinder growth, by what mechanism? For instance, does it stop or halt protein synthesis?

MODOK has great advice.

There are no known interactions between ibuprofen and the supplements you've mentioned.

Having said that, there are always hypothetical ways in which interactions could occur and there's never a way to definitively say yes or no unless it has clearly been established.

I suppose if there were one hypothetical concern, it might be the guggulsterone in HOT-ROX, as it, along with ibuprofen could perhaps result in an increased risk of bleeding.

If you have concerns, please consult with your physician and inform him/her that the guggulsterone in HOT-ROX may inhibit platelet aggregation.

Hope that helps.

"Given the mechanisms of action and the widespread
use of ibuprofen and acetaminophen, we believed it
was necessary to better understand the potential
metabolic implications of consuming these over-thecounter
drugs after eccentric resistance exercise. The
primary findings of this study were that ibuprofen
blunted the protein synthesis response that is normally
seen after the type of exercise used in this study;
surprisingly, acetaminop"

http://www.kinemed.com/files/Effect_of_Ibuprofen_and.pdf

I actually just gave a presentation on anti-inflammatory treatment and impaired muscle adaptation. NSAIDs (i.e. ibuprofen) blunt the immune response caused by inflammation. Working out the muslce, especially with heavy eccentric contractions, causes muscular damage. One side effect of this is inflammation of the damaged tissue, caused by neutrophils and macrophages (immune system cells). Inhibiting this immune response is presumed to either partially inhibit or slow the repair of the damged muscle.

The two main macrophages looked at in most studies are ED1+ and ED2+. ED1+ is responsible for clearing the necrophilic (dead/damaged) tissue and proliferating type 1 collagen production (which is used for structural integrity of the muscle). ED2+ is responsible for stimulating the action of satellite cells, which repair the damaged muscle fibers. Inhibiting these factors using anti-inflammatory agents thus inhibits the muscular adaptation to exercise.

It is also a dose- and time-dependent response, meaning that the higher the dose and the longer you take a certain dose the more impaired this adaptation is.

As far as protein synthesis being inhibited, while I have not directly looked into it myself, it has come up in a lot of the research I've come across.

Taking high doses of anti-inflammatory agents is fine as it will help with any injury you may have. After the inflammation is gone (typically treatment is ten days) you can resume training, at least in a rehabilitation phase if not healed. It would be better, IMO, to locally inject these agent so you don't have a systemic response to them. Chronic ingestion of NSAIDs is not recommended unless you absolutely need them.

You should also still train while taking anti-inflammatory agents, as there will still be an adaptive response. During the NSAID treatment phase I would recommend focusing on concentric contractions, which cause less muscle damage than eccentric contractions.