Ibuprofen Blocks Muscle Building?

Hmm, call me a skeptic.

First, inflammation is not an “all or nothing” situation in the body.

Second, due to our diets, we often have “excess” inflammation.

Third, the body is able to “request” or “cause” inflammation when it decides to do so. When muscles are damaged by exercise might be a good example.

Fourth, there are often competing uses for nutrients. As an example, reducing overall inflammatory processes in the body may make more recovery capability available for muscle repair.

Fifth, nutrients can have competing effects in various processes. For example, while some fats can reduce inflammation, they can also increase production of anabolic hormones.

So, what am I saying? I’m saying I’m not sure what any of this means. There could be any number of competing effects and I don’t think the research gives us the entire picture yet.

[quote]Remnant wrote:
Which brings up the question: Since Omega-3s are widely reputed to help inflammation, if this is true then should omega3s inhibit muscle growth?
[/quote]

I think we need to differentiate between reducing chronic inflammation secondary to the excessive production of pro-inflammatory eicosanoids and actually SUPPRESSING the body’s ability to produce an inflammatory response in response to injury. EPA and DHA do not worry me. CLA does, as do all anti-inflammatory medications.

By the way, anybody who takes ibuprofen or any other anti-iflammatory drug to reduce muscle soreness after workouts is a world-class pussy.

nolan ryan, world class pussy.

there is a difference between taking stuff for joint pain and taking it for post-workout muscle soreness.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
By the way, anybody who takes ibuprofen or any other anti-iflammatory drug to reduce muscle soreness after workouts is a world-class pussy.[/quote]

For sure. If I’m not sore in at least 33% of my muscles at any given time I’m not alive.