I Would Like to Start Powerlifting

For the last 10 months I’ve focused my training on bodybuilding only, how can I incorporate a power lifting type routine? I really would like to learn to power lift and focus on strength not muscularity.

Start by reading Dave Tate’s stuff here all of it “education of a PLer”, 8 Keys, Periodization Bible, might look at West Side for Skinny Bastards.

Then come back with any /'s

Learn to start training, not working out, it all has a purpose, training,. diet, recovery etc.
Main thing work hard

Phill

The book, “Powelifting Basics, Texas Style” by Paul Kelso is a very down-to-earth beginner PL-er type of book. You can learn a lot from this book. And it’s a fun read too.

It is pretty easy in my opinion to switch from a bodybuilding program to a powerlifting program, the two have more in common than different. Of course you need to squat, bench, and deadlift, and you want the vast majority of your exercises to be free weights, even the isolation exercises if you do those. Generally you will do lower reps for PL, 1-12 is common for beginners with most sets being 5-8 reps to get started.

One of the biggest differences is that you will take significantly longer rests in between sets, generally 2-5 minutes is a good start. Basically rest until you are almost fully recovered before you go again. This makes the workouts longer but it allows you lift much heavier weights all throughout the workout.

Other than that try to hook up with a powerlifter or go to a competition, powerlifting watch (website) has a bunch of info on upcoming stuff. Of course reading the above recommendations will only help. It can be great fun once you get into it. Good luck.

Elitefts.com is THE best site when it comes to PLing.

[quote]Irish Iron wrote:
For the last 10 months I’ve focused my training on bodybuilding only, how can I incorporate a power lifting type routine? I really would like to learn to power lift and focus on strength not muscularity.[/quote]

Dave Tate’s articles and elite Fts are great suggestions that have already been made. I’ll throw in Louie Simmons articles on the Westside site. Read them all and you will have a pretty good knowledge of how to start increasing your SQ DL and BP