T Nation

I Work for Nothing but My Own Profit

�??I work for nothing but my own profit�??which I make by selling a product they need for men who are willing and able to buy it. . . . we deal as equals by mutual consent to mutual advantage and I am proud of every penny I have earned in this manner.�??

�??My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.�??

http://www.atlasshrugged.com/

uh Ayn Rand…

Enough already!

Free market capitalism at it’s best. It’s ashamed we have gone away from that.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=avFnuh9oWHVo

It never stops…the insanity.

HH,

Tomorrow, do me a favor when you wake up. Look at yourself in the mirror, and repeat as many times as necessary “I will not be a douchebag today.”

Have a nice day, asshat.

Invest in vibrators… and fructose.

[quote]SouthernGypsy wrote:
HH,

Tomorrow, do me a favor when you wake up. Look at yourself in the mirror, and repeat as many times as necessary “I will not be a douchebag today.”

Have a nice day, asshat.[/quote]

Is your post proof that man is NOT a heroic being?

Seriously, how does expressing admiration for the heroic spirit of Man make one an ‘asshat’, in your estimation? I’m simply curious.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Seriously, how does expressing admiration for the heroic spirit of Man make one an ‘asshat’, in your estimation? I’m simply curious. [/quote]

Hush! This is getting old and we all know better than to bite.

Now go frantically masturbate at your big poster of Ayn Rand.

Believe it or not I have taken many philosophy courses over the years. In one class every time you said something that didn’t make sense the professor would walk over and ring a gong.

There was one girl in class that just loved Ayn Rand. She would quote her or use her as an example in everything. Well she would get “gonged” every day. Finally she dropped the course.

HH if I could I would walk over to the gong and ring it in your honor.

I got about 100 pages to go in that bear of a book. Ms. Rand could’ve shaved about 750 pages. The last 300 is essentially all about her anti-government, self-based ‘objectivism’ philosophy.

I can understand belief in reason, but why this book was so influential I can’t understand. I’m a liberal though, so I don’t believe in small government and a completely free market. There’s way too many idiots in the world for that system to work.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Hush! This is getting old and we all know better than to bite.

Now go frantically masturbate at your big poster of Ayn Rand.[/quote]

Thanks lixy

I agree with Headhunter and I often wonder why this doesn’t go without saying. Why was it necessary for Ayn Rand to write a 1200 page book to illustrate the point? Is society really that mindfucked? I don’t associate with the objectivist movement but I find the philosophy very sound.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Believe it or not I have taken many philosophy courses over the years. In one class every time you said something that didn’t make sense the professor would walk over and ring a gong.

There was one girl in class that just loved Ayn Rand. She would quote her or use her as an example in everything. Well she would get “gonged” every day. Finally she dropped the course.

HH if I could I would walk over to the gong and ring it in your honor.[/quote]

Did he “gong her” (I hope he used protection) because he rejected the argument or because it was not her argument?

[quote]reshumate wrote:
I got about 100 pages to go in that bear of a book. Ms. Rand could’ve shaved about 750 pages. The last 300 is essentially all about her anti-government, self-based ‘objectivism’ philosophy.

I can understand belief in reason, but why this book was so influential I can’t understand. I’m a liberal though, so I don’t believe in small government and a completely free market. There’s way too many idiots in the world for that system to work.[/quote]

You could make the argument that Government (big or small) is a product of capitalism. People establish rules to protect their wealth and these rules are enforced by a body created for that purpose.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:

HH if I could I would walk over to the gong and ring it in your honor.

Did he “gong her” (I hope he used protection) because he rejected the argument or because it was not her argument?[/quote]

Rejected most of the aruments because of fauly reasoning. It was a religion course and the ideas behind all of the major religions as well as some smaller ones or subsets of major religions.

Of course Ayn Rand didn’t believe in religion which didn’t fit well with this course nor philosophy of logic.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Of course Ayn Rand didn’t believe in religion which didn’t fit well with this course nor philosophy of logic.[/quote]

I’ve always seen Rand’s atheism as a flaw, rather than a strength, of her philosophy. However as purely rational and logical thought she holds up rather well. She is rarely viewed with approval by academics who seem mostly content to present mere caricatures of her ideas or to engage in only decidedly nonserious discussions thereof.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:

Rejected most of the aruments because of fauly reasoning. It was a religion course and the ideas behind all of the major religions as well as some smaller ones or subsets of major religions.[/quote]

Oh, I doubt that. You can reject a lot of things about her, but she based most of her reasoning as extensions of Aristotle, so I don’t think it was due to fault reasoning. Premise maybe but not logic.

I consider myself an objectivist as use many of it’s base constructs for my personal philosophy.

But I refuse to relate with any other “objectivist” because they are such self-centered egotistical pricks that you want to donkey punch them.

[quote]BackForMore wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:
Of course Ayn Rand didn’t believe in religion which didn’t fit well with this course nor philosophy of logic.

I’ve always seen Rand’s atheism as a flaw, rather than a strength, of her philosophy. However as purely rational and logical thought she holds up rather well. She is rarely viewed with approval by academics who seem mostly content to present mere caricatures of her ideas or to engage in only decidedly nonserious discussions thereof.

[/quote]

Hmmm, I always thought her main flaw was being manipulative and warping her own philosophy to suit her imminent needs.

I actually like her non-fiction (The Virtue of Selfishness for example) better than her fiction. Atlas was a tough read, not for the length, but for because she seemed to swing her theories like baseball bats at every page.

Here’s a word to try out: inference. Good writers let the reader meet them halfway, not knock on their door and ram a manifesto down their throat.

Good commentary on Rand, but I still wonder about her premise: does your life belong to YOU, or does it belong to someone else (a group, a government, a society,…)?