T Nation

I Wonder If Lumberjacks Kept Logs...

So, here’s me:

5’10ish

(gets up to check weight/bf% on scale)

185lbs

18.5% bf

so LBM = ~150lbs

Overall plan: Get down to a bf% I’m happy with, then bulk up. Rather, linse, repeat. I know many would say to just start bulking now, but I’d rather not bulk to anything more than 15-20% bf. I would simply be too uncomfortable with my self image at any higher a bf%. So, I’m going to cut first, that way I can get a better amount of time to bulk.

Diet: T-dawg, version 1.5. Basically, I started with the T-dawg, then read about v.2.0. So I made a few changes, but the carbs during the week are still around 30 (except for post workout Surge). Still high protein/high fat monday-saturday. With every meal I mix a TBS of benefiber with some water, keeps me from getting constipated. 5 of the meals involve a TBS of liquid fish oil, but thats ok because 2 of the meals are shakes (so I dont even taste it, really).

For the other three, I just deal. Havent planned out my high carb day, going to let myself loose a little without going completely crazy on the cheeze whiz.

Training: Full body EDT.

(A)
squat
bent over row

thrusters
RDL

(B)
chins
snatches

front squats
dips

Exercise M/W/F, alternating A and B. The workouts are tough. I enjoy them.

Otherwise, I tend to play tennis/racketball with my friends for some NEDA/cardio. I should probably take some light jogs on the days I dont lift.

Gonna use this thread as space to ramble, but mostly to piss and moan about the diet and track my progress. I plan to stick with this for 8 weeks.

Oh yeah, my supps:

1 multi in the morning
HOT-ROX Extreme (got them yesterday, get great results with one, but if I take too I get kinda woozy since I’m really sensitive to stimulants [and recently quit coffee]. I hope this lasts a while before I have to bump up to two twice a day)
Biotest BCAAs- 6 before, during, and after training. Not sure if I plan on taking them on nonworkout days.
Surge post workout (stuff tastes amazing).

Yeah, thats about it for now.

I asked this question in the AD thread, but what the hell, I’ll ask here in case someone reads this but not that (seeing as I asked in there in case someone reads that and not this).

Since I’m just starting out, should I stay low carb till I’m sure I’ve fat adapted?

Will “carbing up” before I go through the “metabolic shift” make it take that much longer for the shift to actually happen?

Or should I just start out with the carb cycling and not worry about it?

[quote]CappedAndPlanIt wrote:
I asked this question in the AD thread, but what the hell, I’ll ask here in case someone reads this but not that (seeing as I asked in there in case someone reads that and not this).

Since I’m just starting out, should I stay low carb till I’m sure I’ve fat adapted?

Will “carbing up” before I go through the “metabolic shift” make it take that much longer for the shift to actually happen?

Or should I just start out with the carb cycling and not worry about it?[/quote]

If your going to do the AD DO!!! the AD you need those initial weeks

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
CappedAndPlanIt wrote:

Or should I just start out with the carb cycling and not worry about it?

If your going to do the AD DO!!! the AD you need those initial weeks

Phill
[/quote]

Do… stay low carb without a carb up?

So, I’m thinking I’ll have a moderate carb up day this sunday, then back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Thing is, I dont know if I’ve “fat adapted”. I went through a few foggy days (I actually think they feel kinda cool), and now I’m a lot more clear headed. Another poster said they went through some fog a few times before they fully shifted. So I dunno.

I’ve lost a few pounds (water weight, I’m sure), and my muscles are starting to look/feel a little “flat”. Not really a big deal considering the slight definition I have thanks to the few lost pounds.

Well, thats all. I plan on posting my weight/bf% readings each sunday, in the morning, post bathroom/pre food.

So we’ll see how I’m doing tomorrow.

Quick update: Got some advice in the Anabolic Diet thread.

Carbing up tomorrow, but then going low carb/high fat for 2 weeks without carbups (just to make sure I’ve made the shift).

Somethings wrong with that scale.

Just to explain, with this scale, if you just step on it, you just get your weight. But you have to press this button on the center a few times for it to read your bf% too.

So I get up, take a tee tee (+50 points if you get the reference), and hop on the scale. 185.5. Thats cool, I can deal with that. Lets see what my bodyfat percentage is…

hop off the scale… press the button a few times… hop back on…

??

Check again

Clearly, wtf. Let me go check one more time.

Screw this thing.

Just to explain, with this scale, if you just step on it, you just get your weight. But you have to press this button on the center a few times for it to read your bf% too.

So I get up, take a tee tee (+50 points if you get the reference), and hop on the scale. 185.5. Thats cool, I can deal with that. Lets see what my bodyfat percentage is…

??

Check again

Screw this thing.[/quote]

Those scales are pretty much worthless for getting a consistent measurement week after week.

You might wanna try wrapping a tape measurer around your stomach at the belly button every other week. ;]

[quote]thrasher wrote:
CappedAndPlanIt wrote:

??

Check again

Screw this thing.

Those scales are pretty much worthless for getting a consistent measurement week after week.

You might wanna try wrapping a tape measurer around your stomach at the belly button every other week. ;][/quote]

Ya know, that just may be crazy enough to work.

Thanks.

Had to bump the HRX up to two twice a day. Still getting some of that nice warm feeling. Sadly, dont know how long it’ll last. Not going up anymore, though.

Enjoying my day off. Had a little candy. Went to IHOP for breakfast.

Also kinda looking forward to the next two weeks of getting fat adapted. Really, its only 13 days since I’ll only be skipping one “carb up” day.

Yeah, so… this sucks.

No Surge for the next two weeks.

Normally, I wouldn’t care. Its not even an issue of the carbs. Its just that chocolate Surge is so damn good.

Dear Surge,

I miss you.

Love,
Capped

Yeah, so… this sucks.

No Surge for the next two weeks.

Normally, I wouldn’t care. Its not even an issue of the carbs. Its just that chocolate Surge is so damn good.

Dear Surge,

I miss you.

Love,
Capped[/quote]

Isn’t chocolate Surge just ridiculously good? Its like chocolate milk without milk! wtf!!

I did a lot of thinking today.

Lately I’ve been considering the Anabolic Diet.

But then I realized what I was doing (the same shit I always do): Ditching a program before I get real results from it.

Someone made a list of dumb newbie thought processes, one of them was “change workouts every 6 weeks. you need to suprise the muscle into growth. well suprise motherfucker, you look the same as you did five years ago!”

Sadly… yeah. Thats been me. Its always this constant fear of “What if there is something better out there and I’m wasting my time?”

And now I’m doing that with diets. A week into t-dawg and I’m about to jump ship.

I’m sticking with the t-dawg for 7 more weeks. Then, I’m considering the AD when I’m done. but for now, thats on the back burner.

Till then, if it ain’t broke…

dude stick with the tdawg diet if you are wanting to lose body fat. ive been on it a month and lost 20 lbs while at the same time increased the weight of all my workouts by at least 10 lbs some up to 45 lbs.

i don’t think the tdawg diet says anything about a carb-up day i dunno if you are trying to incorporate two different diets or what??? i think it says you can have one cheat meal, which sometimes leads to two or 3 for me in a week but the key is to get right back to the C+P or F+P meals asap.

You’re a fuckin lumberjack?!!

[quote]bloodandtears wrote:
dude stick with the tdawg diet if you are wanting to lose body fat. ive been on it a month and lost 20 lbs while at the same time increased the weight of all my workouts by at least 10 lbs some up to 45 lbs.

i don’t think the tdawg diet says anything about a carb-up day i dunno if you are trying to incorporate two different diets or what??? i think it says you can have one cheat meal, which sometimes leads to two or 3 for me in a week but the key is to get right back to the C+P or F+P meals asap.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure t-dawg has one carb up day a week, along with Surge PWO on low carb days.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
You’re a fuckin lumberjack?!![/quote]

Well… I’m keeping a log. So I guess you could compare me to one.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
You’re a fuckin lumberjack?!![/quote]

It was a play on words.

You would have gotten it if you spent less time watching pro wrestling (judging by your avatar, I gather that’s what you’re into) and more time reading.

it isn’t a carb-up day, it’s a “cheat day” where you can have one meal without giving a shit about what you eat, although i sometimes slip and have 2 or 3 of these a week. like a slice of pizza or a chocolate bar for one of my meals.

And it doesn’t necessarily have to be Surge, although it is probably easier since it is a measured amount. ill usually just eat a couple handfuls of fruitloops or some fruit like banana after working out, just simply because i cant afford Surge atm.

but if i could i would definately buy it cuz it has other things in it too other than just carbs to help stop the catabolic reactions.

[quote]bloodandtears wrote:
it isn’t a carb-up day, it’s a “cheat day” where you can have one meal without giving a shit about what you eat, although i sometimes slip and have 2 or 3 of these a week. like a slice of pizza or a chocolate bar for one of my meals.

And it doesn’t necessarily have to be Surge, although it is probably easier since it is a measured amount. ill usually just eat a couple handfuls of fruitloops or some fruit like banana after working out, just simply because i cant afford Surge atm.

but if i could i would definately buy it cuz it has other things in it too other than just carbs to help stop the catabolic reactions.[/quote]

Ok, well, I’m gonna have one carb up/cheat day a week for now. And if it seems like I need to, I’ll cut it down to one cheat meal.