I Will Not Lay Down and Die

It’s about time that I make a training log and get more active in these forums. I’ve been reading them for so long, but I’ve never really participated. My training has had a lot of ups and downs lately, and this is my place to organize it all and maybe get some input from others.

MY STORY
I’ve been overweight my whole life. At my worst I was almost 300 pounds of pure fat. Right now I’m at around 184 pounds, and still carrying a little more bodyfat than I would like, but after some serious crashing of my testosterone levels and what felt like the end of my world as I knew it, I’m bulking a little as I’ve realized that being strong is the bigger priority right now. You can read about my medical issues here

I still don’t know what’s really wrong, but my testosterone levels dropped and I felt like crap, I’ve been doing better and I would like to keep it that way. I wasn’t severely cutting calories or anything, but since I’ve been eating more I’ve gotten better so I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it. I feel like I’m pretty much better now, and I hope that I actually am haha. The whole thing has me terribly frustrated as I don’t really know what the problem was.

MY CURRENT GOALS
I’m looking to gain weight and put on some muscle right now, while minimizing fat gain. I want to compete in powerlifting, badly, and I need to get alot stronger to be happy with my lifts. My first couple of weeks have caused an increase of about 8 pounds really quick, on a diet that I would say is not nearly as big as most. I plan on messing around to try and slow it down and make sure my lifts go up.

This is just sort of an intro, I’ll start posting my training and diet in tomorrow.

MY CURRENT STATS

Height - 5 foot 9
Weight - 184 lbs
Military Press - 160 training max (140 x 6 PR)
Squat - 315 training max (270 x 9 PR)
Bench Press - 230 training max (215 x 8 PR)
Deadlift - 370 training max (320 x 9 PR)

My training is 5/3/1 for powerlifting and I’ve been messing around with the boring but big template

Today’s Training

Military Press
65 lbs x5
80 lbs x5
95 lbs x5
120 lbs x5
135 lbs x3
155 lbs x1 (3 sets)
95 lbs x 12 (5 sets)

One arm dumbell row
100lbs x 12 (5 sets supersetted with last 5 sets of military)

Chinups 5 sets

Today’s diet
1/2 gallon of milk throughout the day (Thinking about replacing this with other things, but using it for now)

6:00 am - 3 eggs with cheese and 8 ounces of v8 fusion mixed with creatine
9:00 am - chicken breast with broccoli and carrots
11:00 am - scoop of whey protein
1:00 pm - chicken breast with broccoli and carrots
3:15 pm - Scoop of whey protein
4:00 pm - lifting
5:30 pm - Scoop of protein mixed with a serving of oats
6:30 pm - Asian ground turkey wrap (about 1/2lb ground turkey and lots of veggies)

Really feeling great and motivated in the gym lately, I’m just worried about fat gain, but I have to just hope for the best and keep adjusting my diet. I’ll see how this week plays out and take it one week at a time.

Diet today

1/2 gallon of milk throughout the day

6:00 am - 3 eggs with cheese and 8 ounces of V8 Fusion with creatine
9:00 am - handful of nuts and raisins and a scoop of protein powder
11:00 am - leftovers from the asian ground turkey wraps last night
1:00 pm - Can of tuna, banana, broccoli, and carrots
3:00 PM - scoop of protein
4:00 pm - scoop of protein
6:30 pm - 1/2lb ground turkey with cheese, onion and green pepper, and 2 slices ezekiel bread

I must admit, the thought of going back to a cut to finally get lean for the first time in my life is starting to creep back up on me. I have a hard time justifying bulking when I’m unhappy with the amount of fat that I’m carrying now. I’m just so sick of feeling like my lifts are weak. I’ll see how things start playing out with what I’m doing now. My weight was shooting up with this diet, but now it seems to be stabilizing a bit.

I’m realizing how much I had probably cut back too much when trying to lose weight. It just sort of happened over time, and I really lost track of myself. I started out losing weight just fine, but somewhere along the way I just let myself keep saying that less was more, and I constantly tried to make everything easier on myself. I know that if I want to ever reach my goals I have to keep focused, I can’t let things get in the way.

I still have this whole low testosterone thing looming over my head, but I can’t let it get me down. I have to believe that I’m better or I’ll never get anywhere. I have a doctor’s appointment at the end of the month, so I’ll have to see what he says, since my last doctor was a complete idiot with no desire to put any effort into helping me.

Training for the day

Squat
125 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 5
235 x 5
265 x 3
295 x 1
315 x 1
315 x 1
155 x 12 (5 sets)

Back extensions 5 sets of 12 with 45lb plate

Hanging leg raises 5x20

Diet for the day

1/2 gallon of milk during the day

6:15 am - 3 eggs with cheese and 8 ounces v8 fusion with creatine
9:00 am - protein shake
11:00 am - can of tuna with broccoli and carrots
1:00 pm - ground turkey and refried beans
3:00 pm - protein shake and a banana
4:00 pm - weight lifting
5:30 pm - protein shake with oats
6:30 pm - 8 ounces chicken with salad
8:00 pm - Quesadilla

Diet for the day

1/2 gallon of milk throughout the day
6:00 am - 3 eggs with cheese and V8 Fusion with creatine
9:00 am - scoop of protein with a banana and handful of mixed nuts
11:00 am - 1/2 lb ground turkey with veggies and refried beans
1:00 pm - can of tuna
3:00 pm - 2 scoops protein and a serving of oats
6:00 pm - Chicken and Sun-Dried Tomato Bruschetta

Training today

Bench
95 x 5
115 x 5
135 x 5
175 x 5
195 x 5
225 x 2
225 x 1
135 x 12 (5 sets)

Dumbell Rows 100lbs (5 sets supersetted with last 5 sets of bench)
Chinups 5 sets
Tricep extension and bicep curl 3 sets each on freemotion machines 70lbs

Diet today
6:00 am - 3 eggs with cheese, V8 Fusion with creatine, and 1 scoop protein
7:30 am - lifting
9:00 am - scoop of protein with a serving of oats
9:30 am - can of tuna with 2 pieces of ezekiel bread covered in peanut butter
12:00 pm - Chicken Parmesan melt with carrot sticks
2:00 pm - 12 ounces of milk with scoop of protein, a banana, and peanut butter
6:00 pm - chicken quesadilla with black beans and an apple

Tomorrow will be interesting with diet since I’m driving an hour to spend the day at king of prussia mall in philly with my girlfriend. Will probably just end in a disaster haha, but I think I can afford one day right now.