I Want Traps and Quads!

Ok,

So i’ve been working out since september 19th after a 16 month fitness lay off due to a round the world backpacking trip.

I am a skinny bastard and when i got back i was a cringe worthy 136lbs and have got up to 155lbs.

I’ve been following westside for skinny bastards, 3 days per week. I hit 275lbs (cringe) on the deadlift this week and 155lbs on the bench (cringe)

One thing i’ve always envyed are people with big quads and traps…and i’ve never been able to get any size or definiton in these areas. I know at this stage of my body development i should probably just concentrate on everything but i really want to bring my quads and traps along in particular.

So given my current state, can anyone give me some advice on how to improve these areas quick smart.

Cheers

Squats, deadlifts with shrugs and food.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/the_yoke.htm

As far as quads go, squats are always the best. Use different variations, but I always find that ass to grass olympic style squats hit my quads more than parallel squats. Front squats as well.

Good luck.

-MAtt

Close-stance squats, wide-grip deadlifts with a shrug at the top.

Squats, power cleans and milk.

Front squats without locking out really kill the quads.

Overhead shrugs are a good variation for traps too.

Heavy DL
High pulls
Cable rows to neck

hang cleans hit the traps pretty hard. I love this exercise.

Thanks guys.

I do a lot of single and triples in the deadlifts so i think im ok there. Should probably add shrugs at the top if the lift then. Will also try to apply stuff from the yoke article.

As for squats, i have a definite flexibility problem here. I cant go past parrallel with a narrow stance and front squats are just plain awkward and uncomfortable. I guess practice these and in the mean time put in some heavy leg pressing to compensate for the lack of weight i will be using?

[quote]AdamC wrote:
Thanks guys.

I do a lot of single and triples in the deadlifts so i think im ok there. Should probably add shrugs at the top if the lift then. Will also try to apply stuff from the yoke article.

As for squats, i have a definite flexibility problem here. I cant go past parrallel with a narrow stance and front squats are just plain awkward and uncomfortable. I guess practice these and in the mean time put in some heavy leg pressing to compensate for the lack of weight i will be using?

[/quote]

Why do you think you need a narrow stance?

None of the advice given to you will mean shit until you add much more body weight than you are carrying. Most people with big traps and big quads…are big everywhere else also.

Just stick the compound movements such as bench,squat, and deadlift. Maybe do cleans either from the hang or the ground before deadlifting. Trust me this will hit your traps HARD. As for the squat just keep working on it, practicing the movement, and maybe watch videos of correct form.

[quote]alocubano1110 wrote:
Just stick the compound movements such as bench,squat, and deadlift…[/quote]

…and also isolation movements like biceps curls, side lateral raises, and bent over raises.

Avoid being a lifter with blinders on who can’t see the big picture.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
alocubano1110 wrote:
Just stick the compound movements such as bench,squat, and deadlift…

…and also isolation movements like biceps curls, side lateral raises, and bent over raises.

Avoid being a lift with blinders on who can’t see the big picture.[/quote]

I’m just saying that he should first build mass before going ahead and doing iso movements, dont worry im not against isolation movements. I’m also giving him tips on the goals he wants to accomplish such as big traps. If he asked me how to build biceps or something i would have probably suggested a split routine.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
AdamC wrote:
Thanks guys.

Why do you think you need a narrow stance?

None of the advice given to you will mean shit until you add much more body weight than you are carrying. Most people with big traps and big quads…are big everywhere else also.[/quote]

I was responding to the poster who recommended narrow stance squats. When i squat i use a wide stance because these i can go deepest and heaviest with. If i use a stance thats more shoulder width i really struggle to get any depth and feel like a bit of a puff…

Thanks for the advice…at 155 i certainly want to be bigger

You have my two previous goals, get rid of my stick figure legs and build some traps. The number one thing is I would NOT focus on the quads, if you think your quads are lacking I would hate to see your hamstrings. Build your legs all over and build a big squat and your quads will be doing great.

So basicly:

Do squats: I use a weight for rep goal, such as I want to squat 300lbs for 5 reps by the end of the year.

Do deadlifts: most will agree keep these in the lower rep range.

Throw in a compound exercise for quads, and another for hams/glutes. I keep my squats/deads at lower reps so this is time for higher reps 8-12 range

Do some shrugs: You got the heavy weight coverd with deads so again use a different rep range

That was the plan that worked for me… though I didnt do anything else but squats for quads, but I’m questioning that now as I just strained a quad.

Since isolation movements came up, I figured another article from elitefts.com is in order.

The “I” Word:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/i_word.htm

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Since isolation movements came up, I figured another article from elitefts.com is in order.

The “I” Word:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/i_word.htm[/quote]

Good article.

I wish one like it was on this website for those dumb enough to get everything they think they know from only one resource.

[quote]AdamC wrote:
I’ve been following westside for skinny bastards, 3 days per week. I hit 275lbs (cringe) on the deadlift this week and 155lbs on the bench (cringe)
Cheers
[/quote]

Whenever you deadlift, try and get your grip as wide out to the collars as possible:

1. gets you lower in the deadlift = more range of motion for your legs, and

2. really recruits the trap muscles…

3. If you are able to do behind the neck military presses(shoulder impingement for some people); then do those as wide as possible as well…once again the traps are recruited to control the weight you are pressing!!!

[quote]alocubano1110 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
alocubano1110 wrote:
Just stick the compound movements such as bench,squat, and deadlift…

Avoid being a lift with blinders on who can’t see the big picture.

I’m just saying that he should first build mass before going ahead and doing iso movements, dont worry im not against isolation movements. I’m also giving him tips on the goals he wants to accomplish such as big traps. If he asked me how to build biceps or something i would have probably suggested a split routine.[/quote]

Isolation exercises BUILD MASS. What the fuck else did you think they did? Burn fat?

[quote]Roy wrote:

Isolation exercises BUILD MASS. What the fuck else did you think they did? Burn fat?
[/quote]

my point is that the compound movements build more mass overall and faster the isolation movements. Would you do bicep curls as a beginner or chins or rows to work the biceps and also the back. I’m just saying that I think that compound movements are better if you are a beginner and will get more mass on you quicker and all over. get my point?