I Want to Do My First Cut

Hi guys, ive lurked for a few years but i just recently made an account.

Ive decided to start my first real official cut.

I have a few questions mainly about nutrition and would appreciate any feed back and advice.

I am 300lbs estimated 34% bodyfat, i plan to cut to 230lbs over the course of 9-12 months.

My stats:
Im 20 years old.
Exactly 6’0 tall
300lbs (give or take 5lbs)
Estimated 34% bodyfat.
18.5" arms
Bench: 320lbs (pause)
Squat: 430lbs (Atg, no belt)
Deadlift: 520lbs (belt, straps)
OHP: 225x3 (strict)

How do i calculate my TDEE? Every calculator seems to give me a different result.

How many grams of protein should i eat?

What should my main source of protein be?

What should my macros look like?

I plan to meal prep and eat 4 meals a day would this be best way to go about this?

When should i introduce cardio?

No offence mate however at your weight and size, just eating 3 healthy square meals a day is going to kick start the cutting process with a bang.

Take care of that for a couple of months then you can start to play about with macros, calories etc.

1 Like

I just want more control over my caloric intake. What would i do if i hit a plateau in weight loss eating so little a day? I also want to hold onto any mass i have.

First off, if you want to cut down you need to actually know your weight. Within five pounds suggests you don’t know, so you could be a fair bit over 300 lbs.

Or, you could ignore the scale and use the tape measure instead. Waist and hip measurement would be good indicators of your bodyfat reducing. Arm measurement, not so much.

If you’re considering body fat percentages, how did you estimate that 34 per cent? Actual body fat percentage is very hard to measure correctly, with DEXA being about the only accessible method that is accurate. If you have a bodyfat scale, while they are hideously inaccurate they are also quite often consistent so you could use that as a marker - provided you use the same scale at the same time of day. On waking after using the bathroom is often good.

It’s also a bit of a concern that you consider three healthy square meals a day to be very little. This suggests that you eat a huge amount. @ChongLordUno is absolutely correct: at your current size simply reducing how much you eat and eating better food will be all you need to do to lose fat. If you want control over your caloric intake, what you need to do us exercise self control and common sense.

In respect of wanting to keep what mass you have, assuming your body fat estimate is correct, you have around 200 lbs of lean mass. Right now, that leaves you a good 75 pounds of fat to lose before you’re even going have any reason to worry about losing lean mass.

Introducing cardio isn’t something you need to worry about to help with fat loss, but at your size is definitely something that is going to be helpful to your health. Something like four 30 minute brisk walks a week will do wonders.

Things like TDEE and protein sources are not something that even needs to be on your radar right now. All you need to do is cut out junk and processed food and replace it with meat, coloured vegetables and some fruit.

1 Like

I weigh after my morning piss. My bathroom scale is about 5lbs off thats why i didnt give an exact weight. My bodyfat is from a calculator that uses 1 rep maxes and body weight to estimate %. Are you saying i shouldnt worry about my protein intake? Isnt a gram per pound of body weight the cardinal rule of muscle growth?

Never heard of it, but guaranteed to be junk. Nothing works like that. Nothing.

Don’t let solving problems you aren’t experiencing prevent you from doing anything.

3 Likes

That’s almost guaranteed not to work.

Also, how do you know your scale is about five pounds off? If.you know it’s off, you’ll probably know pretty closely by how much.

Im just concerned because ive always heard you need to use lose weight with the most amount of calories so when you stall you can keep subtracting without getting really low. Forgive me for all the questions i just want to do this right.

Sure, totally legitimate consideration for where you start and in planning your meal strategy.

Just don’t let it stop you from starting.

5-7lbs

I plan to start tommorow morning. Thats why im trying to get all my ducks in a row rn. My diet is gonna consist of beef, rice, eggs and whey, i just need to know how much protein to consume. I imagine i don’t need a gram per pound of bodyweight since im 30+% bodyfat

Cool. Good luck and godspeed man.

1 Like

You can start with slightly over a gram per pound of lean body mass. So start somewhere around 200-220 grams of protein.

2 Likes

If that’s all you’re going to eat that’s a very limited diet in terms of vitamins and minerals. Add tons of vegetables and you’re in business though.

3 Likes

Okay, i’ll do that.