I Want to Compete

hello, this is my first post.
I’ve been mucking around in the gym for about 3 years, but only until 5 months ago i started training seriously and dieting properly.
My goal is to compete in a natural bodybuilding contest.

At the moment i want to add a lot more size. I train 5 days a week different bodypart each day… I’ve been doing that for about 5 weeks and i think its time for a change in program, but I don’t really know what I should do… Could someone help me with a split, and what rep range i should use

There are more than enough programs on T-Nation that are written by outstanding professionals. I would suggest reading articles by different authors to see what fits your style. I personally like full-body lifting, so I’m partial to Waterbury.

However, there are many guys on here that seem to enjoy articles by CT. Get to reading, and more importantly, get to the gym and bust your ass.

And don’t have training ADD. Give a program at least a month to work. If your diet is at all reasonable and you are following the great advice on this site, you will have great results no matter which program you choose to follow.

Talk to people who already compete. Learn from the best!

I believe DirtyGerdy is quite a competitor on this board, he would be a good individual to go to for advice.

[quote]Invictica wrote:
Talk to people who already compete. Learn from the best!

I believe DirtyGerdy is quite a competitor on this board, he would be a good individual to go to for advice.[/quote]
Yeah, Gerdy is pro. He taught me a lot of what I know.

it takes YEARS (!!!) of progressive overload and caloric surplus to build size (width and thickness) to step on stage, dude…and that is without regard to body fat that you may add on in the process.

Just “dieting” properly (wtf that means) and “training 5 days a week” means NOTHING unless you’re a recreational lifter.

you need to lay several foundations of muscle on your frame (assumign your frame is suitable), then assess yourself for weaknesses, bring up body parts, diet down a few times till you can hold on to enough size as you get leaner (again a personal thing)

I could be wrong, but based on your choice of words - chances are you are nowhere near the point where you need to talk to competitors about their experiences. Build the mass first and set the thought of competing aside for a while.

[quote]ghostofbellstar wrote:
I’ve been mucking around in the gym for about 3 years, but only until 5 months ago i started training seriously and dieting properly.

At the moment i want to add a lot more size. I train 5 days a week different bodypart each day… I’ve been doing that for about 5 weeks and i think its time for a change in program, but I don’t really know what I should do… Could someone help me with a split, and what rep range i should use[/quote]

see if Cephalic Carnage will help you. hes one of the only people on this board id take training advice from.

At the moment i want to add a lot more size. I train 5 days a week different bodypart each day… I’ve been doing that for about 5 weeks and i think its time for a change in program, but I don’t really know what I should do… Could someone help me with a split, and what rep range i should use[/quote]

Why do you think you need to change your program? Why do you think change requires you to stop doing a 5 day split? Are you able to assess any change, good or bad, in the five weeks of training?

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
it takes YEARS (!!!) of progressive overload and caloric surplus to build size (width and thickness) to step on stage, dude…and that is without regard to body fat that you may add on in the process.

Just “dieting” properly (wtf that means) and “training 5 days a week” means NOTHING unless you’re a recreational lifter.

you need to lay several foundations of muscle on your frame (assumign your frame is suitable), then assess yourself for weaknesses, bring up body parts, diet down a few times till you can hold on to enough size as you get leaner (again a personal thing)

I could be wrong, but based on your choice of words - chances are you are nowhere near the point where you need to talk to competitors about their experiences. Build the mass first and set the thought of competing aside for a while.

[quote]

x2

From your stats I think you have way to go until you compete. If you’re under 8%bodyfat with that weight you could be about a year to go. It seems that you haven’t done an all mass phase yet, but it’s good to see you have set a goal, that’s the first step.

You should research the level of the competitors you intend to face in the future to have a better idea where you want to go. Research the articles, read the forums and see which members can and may help you better.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction, i have changed things up dramatically… ive dropped it down to 3 days a week, just focusing on compound lifts. i’ve found that squats are my weak point at the moment. just another question tho, is it a good idea to focus mainly on strength right now, as i am beginning??

cuz that is my plan at the moment, first i want to build a good level of strength, then move onto higher reps for muscle building stuff, i was talking to a bodybuilder about diet and that stuff but i think alot of what he said was BS… like eating 10 whole eggs in the morning with 5 cups oatmeal?? he told me i should stick with a 5-day split and just do everything really slow, but after reading the articles it seems that alot of the writers are more geared toward 3 or 4 day splits.

SOrry to hi-jack this thread but what type of proportions are good body type for competeing? Meaning Long Torsos? Short Torsos? Long/short legs etc?

I have a pretty short torso and Long legs am I at a disadvantage if I wanted to compete? Height is 5’ 9"

[quote]optheta wrote:
SOrry to hi-jack this thread but what type of proportions are good body type for competeing? Meaning Long Torsos? Short Torsos? Long/short legs etc?

[/quote]

Nope, muscular bodies.

[quote]SSC wrote:
optheta wrote:

Nope, muscular bodies.[/quote]

Ha!

thanks for pointing me in the right direction, i have changed things up dramatically… ive dropped it down to 3 days a week, just focusing on compound lifts. i’ve found that squats are my weak point at the moment. just another question tho, is it a good idea to focus mainly on strength right now, as i am beginning??

cuz that is my plan at the moment, first i want to build a good level of strength, then move onto higher reps for muscle building stuff, i was talking to a bodybuilder about diet and that stuff but i think alot of what he said was BS… like eating 10 whole eggs in the morning with 5 cups oatmeal?? he told me i should stick with a 5-day split and just do everything really slow, but after reading the articles it seems that alot of the writers are more geared toward 3 or 4 day splits.[/quote]

Check out the thread on Trey Brewer’s progress. There is a diet posted in there that may be what he follows at certain points during the year. 20 something egg whites and 4 cups of oatmeal for breakfast. He’s well over 300 pounds in the offseason. If you want to get big you have to eat big.

5 day split will allow you to isolate more muscle groups. If you are doing a 3 day split you will probably benefit from having an A and B workout. Assuming you are training with 2 off days per week.

You seem lost as to what actually builds muscle. Wanting a good strength base is fine. As long as you are eating enough you will get bigger from doing lower rep workouts. If you ever want to be a bodybuilder you need to train every important muscle group; includes biceps and calves. It is also possible to get stronger using a higher rep ranger. Rep range is NOT the biggest factor involved with building muscle.

Disadvantage for what?
If you plan to make money competing, then you better have a good frame (if you have to ask then…). IN general, no one cares unless you’re someone with ridiculously wide hips (even then its just a longer mass gaining period to add more layers of muscle, no more). With a very good frame (relative to height) it will take less time (and less size) to appear filled out and you may have a snappy V taper almost as soon as you start lifting.

[quote]optheta wrote:

I have a pretty short torso and Long legs am I at a disadvantage if I wanted to compete? Height is 5’ 9"[/quote]

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
see if Cephalic Carnage will help you. hes one of the only people on this board id take training advice from.[/quote]

Agreed, PM him, he always loves to help people out, and his advice is great.