T Nation

I Want to Break My iPod

Ok, here’s the deal. Two years ago I bought an ipod nano (first gen.) from best buy along with the product replacement plan (&200-$299). This replacement plan is up at the end of June. When I bought the plan two years ago the people at best buy explained to me that they would give me a store credit worth the original amount of purchase or a product of comparable performance if something ever happened to my ipod, such as.

They also made it clear that they would only do this if the ipod stopped working on its own, they won’t replace it broke for something I did (like dropping, etc.). So, I want to take advantage of this replacement plan but I need to make it look like my ipod crapped out on its own.

I’ve heard that dropping it in water, heating it up, or putting in near a magnet will mess up the battery but I don’t really want to try anything that will make it look like I messed with it. anybody got any good ideas?

You actually paid that much for the replacement plan? You could have just bought another iPod.

a magnet should mess with the storage drive in it nicely.

I hear people who wanted new iPods from warranty said theirs were randomly overheating. That’d mean battery problems.

To the OP:

Be weary with the Best Buy warranty plans. They are a bunch of bullshit. I went through the same thing with my old one. I attempted about 4 times to get it repaired and replaced with no luck before just buying a new one. Here’s the deal.

They’ll only replace it after they do 3 “viable” repairs on it. So you break it once; they’ll repair it. You break it twice; They’ll repair it…Again, for a 3rd time, they’ll repair it. After the 3rd, they should replace it.

I sent mine in, they reconnected loose parts. That didn’t count as a viable repair. I sent it in again, they replaced the hard drive, that was the first “viable” repair. See where I’m getting with this? Anyway, good luck, but be prepared to not only want to break your ipod, but as well as the glasses on the geek behind the counter.

Wait…you have a working iPod and are looking for advice on how to destroy it in order to pull off a scam? I am stunned! The Earth thanks you not.

Besides, who buys insurance on something like an mp3 player? Are you even aware of the rate at which such technology develops? Geez…

Most electronics have a sticker internally that changes color or pattern when it is exposed to water. In the case of the iPhone or iPod touch, this indicator is in the headphone jack.

Buying insurance on an MP3 player seems trivial since new technology is constantly coming out but I bought the insurance on my camera because it covers the large screen on the back of it.

@ AngryVader: The price he quoted was the price range of his warranty that he bought. The plan was probably $30-$50 or so.

[quote]ceeej wrote:
Most electronics have a sticker internally that changes color or pattern when it is exposed to water. In the case of the iPhone or iPod touch, this indicator is in the headphone jack.

Buying insurance on an MP3 player seems trivial since new technology is constantly coming out but I bought the insurance on my camera because it covers the large screen on the back of it.

@ AngryVader: The price he quoted was the price range of his warranty that he bought. The plan was probably $30-$50 or so.[/quote]

I hope so, because otherwise that’s just nuts. I’ve always believed that protection plans should only be bought for big ticket items, like TVs. I feel they are a scam otherwise.

Looking back on it, I wouldn’t have bought the protection plan again on my camera. I got the plan because I had just bought the camera and was afraid of cracking the screen during my trip to Vegas.

Also, the only other plan I have bought is the Apple protection plan on my phone. It saved me the cost of a new phone so far. I accidentally broke the sleep/wake button on top and I convinced Apple that it was from normal use. They bought the story and based on my purchase of the protection plan, they replaced the phone with a new one. Their stock did not take a hit after that so my conscience is doing fine.

I thought you pay like $5 for their coverage.

My first gen Ipod stopped working on its own about 2 months shy of its 2 year anniversary. All I did was mail it back to the best buy warranty center with the receipt and copy of the protection plan and I got a gift card for full value a few weeks later. Couldnt have been a smoother process. If you have the plan, just send it in anyway. They may just log the item in as having been received, and process your refund without testing the item. If not they send it back to you saying it aint broke or whatever.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Wait…you have a working iPod and are looking for advice on how to destroy it in order to pull off a scam? I am stunned! The Earth thanks you not.

Besides, who buys insurance on something like an mp3 player? Are you even aware of the rate at which such technology develops? Geez…[/quote]

I’m going to be struck by lightning, but I agree.