T Nation

I Want to Be Lean, Now I am Fat (30% Fat)

Hi T-Nation,

I am a newbie in the gym. I just started training but I need your help on building a meaningful programme.

I am 29 years old, 183cm tall, my weight is 100kg of which 30% is fat.

My aim is not to loose weight it self. I'd like to change my body composition and move from 30% of half of it.

Most of the fat on my body is around my belly below waist line.

I currently work with Stronglift 5x5 and after this I use stationary bike for around 20-25 minutes. 4 times a week.

I also changed my diet but this is still work in progress.

Can you guys give me some advise if what I do is worth while or should I look for something completly different.

TR

The key is to bear in mind that fat loss is a function of diet, not exercise. So do whatever makes you happy in the weight room (ie, follow whichever program you enjoy the most), but if weight loss is your primary goal, focus on getting your diet dialed in. Resist the urge to add more and more cardio, as it is likely to make you hungrier and thus may sabotage your diet.

Speaking of diet: The key to short-term (=weeks to months) success is finding a way to run a caloric deficit over an extended period of time. There are many ways to do this; each has advantages, and disadvantages. The key to long-term (=rest of your life) success is finding a way to consume, on average, at/near maintenance calories on a day in/day out basis. Again–many ways to do this, each with advantages and disadvantages.

I would ballpark you need to lose about 33# (~15 kg) to get down to roughly 15% BF levels. So if you can average losing a pound/week, it will take about 8 months to get there. My point is this: You did not become significantly overweight overnight, and you are not going to get lean overnight either. Prepare yourself mentally for this being a long, slow process.

If you want feedback concerning the effectiveness and/or sustainability of your diet, you’ll have to lay out specifics.

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
The key is to bear in mind that fat loss is a function of diet, not exercise. So do whatever makes you happy in the weight room (ie, follow whichever program you enjoy the most), but if weight loss is your primary goal, focus on getting your diet dialed in. Resist the urge to add more and more cardio, as it is likely to make you hungrier and thus may sabotage your diet.

Speaking of diet: The key to short-term (=weeks to months) success is finding a way to run a caloric deficit over an extended period of time. There are many ways to do this; each has advantages, and disadvantages. The key to long-term (=rest of your life) success is finding a way to consume, on average, at/near maintenance calories on a day in/day out basis. Again–many ways to do this, each with advantages and disadvantages.

…Prepare yourself mentally for this being a long, slow process.

[/quote]

I don’t like this. Not one little bit.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

There’s a lot of unlikeable words in there…can you be more specific as to which drew your ire, PP?

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

There’s a lot of unlikeable words in there…can you be more specific as to which drew your ire, PP?

[/quote]

It’s all true. I just wish it weren’t.

It’s sort of the worst kind of news, right? This will be slow. Lots of people can do something for a week or even for 8 weeks, but this is a lifelong deal if you want your losses to be sustainable. You can’t exercise your way out of a bad diet. That’s sort of the worst news for most of us here. I love to exercise. I’d really love it if the training part that I enjoy doing would let me ignore the diet part, but as you look at people who spin their wheels over years with unhappiness over body comp, it nearly always comes back to diet.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
but as you look at people who spin their wheels over years with unhappiness over body comp, it nearly always comes back to diet.
[/quote]

I agree, except for the “nearly” part.

Read pretty much any 10 articles on this site especially a couple by John Meadows on diet

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
but as you look at people who spin their wheels over years with unhappiness over body comp, it nearly always comes back to diet.
[/quote]

I agree, except for the “nearly” part.
[/quote]

Well, I was thinking of people with some kind of untreated medical problem that effects metabolism.

Kind of funny, I’ve often thought it would be super nice if I were taller so I could eat more. Of course, there are plenty of people in the 6’ range who still can’t eat everything they’d really like to eat and remain respectably lean. At our age, very few people still have a metabolism like that - if they ever had one.

One more thing about trying to speed things along by adding a lot of cardio, two-a-days, or just insanely long training sessions. It seems to back fire on me in terms of body composition because it generally results in a proportionately HUGE appetite which makes me want to EAT my results.

I like this idea of the Minimum Effective Dose.

Jenn Comas -

“So, how often do you do two-a-days?”

I was chatting with a gentleman at the gym this morning when he asked me that question.

“Um, never?” was my response.

“Really? Why not?” he asked.

Because when it comes to diet and training, I live by the Minimum Effective Dose, and my clients follow the same principle.

We do just enough to elicit the results that we want, and not a drop more, because it’s simply not necessary.

To be healthy, strong, and lean, we need to be extremely consistent with smart training, fantastic nutrition, and plenty of high-quality sleep.
Two-a-day training sessions not required

Have you looked into going vegan? Look up any vegan body transformations on youtube and you will be shocked. You can eat pretty much unlimited calories on a high carb, whole foods vegan diet and lose weight faster than you can imagine, while building muscle.

[quote]thetinman wrote:
Have you looked into going vegan? Look up any vegan body transformations on youtube and you will be shocked. You can eat pretty much unlimited calories on a high carb, whole foods vegan diet and lose weight faster than you can imagine, while building muscle.[/quote]

I would strangle you to death if I could

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]thetinman wrote:
Have you looked into going vegan? Look up any vegan body transformations on youtube and you will be shocked. You can eat pretty much unlimited calories on a high carb, whole foods vegan diet and lose weight faster than you can imagine, while building muscle.[/quote]

I would strangle you to death if I could[/quote]

Just saying, its the quickest way to lose fat and you can eat at a large calorie surplus… which means fat loss + muscle growth. Carbs are your bodies preferred energy source.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]thetinman wrote:

I would strangle you to death if I could[/quote]

LOL

[quote]thetinman wrote:

Just saying, its the quickest way to lose fat and you can eat at a large calorie surplus… which means fat loss + muscle growth.

[/quote]

[quote]bulldog9899 wrote:
BULL SHIT
BULL SHIT EVERYWHERE

[quote]thetinman wrote:

Just saying, its the quickest way to lose fat and you can eat at a large calorie surplus… which means fat loss + muscle growth.

[/quote]
[/quote]

I like how you left out “Carbs are your bodies preferred energy source.” Do your own research (actual medical research), and I’ll leave it to that.

[quote]thetinman wrote:

BULL SHIT
BULL SHIT EVERYWHERE

[quote]thetinman wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

I like how you left out “Carbs are your bodies preferred energy source.” Do your own research (actual medical research), and I’ll leave it to that.
[/quote]

How have your results been with this approach?

[quote]thetinman wrote:

BULL SHIT
BULL SHIT EVERYWHERE

[quote]thetinman wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh im not arguing the need of carbs in ones diet but thats not what you implied So your saying you can loose weight even if your downing say 5000 cals over your daily caloric needs. As long as its vegan you will loose fat and every extra calorie will go into building lean tissue. By the way there has been research on the opposite side of the spectrum supporting Lower carb animal protein diets. We wont even talk about the possible link over Type II diabetes and excessive carbohydrate intake in American culture. So do you have anything to add of value to this thread or are you just feel the need to push the vegan lifestyle?

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]thetinman wrote:

BULL SHIT
BULL SHIT EVERYWHERE

[quote]thetinman wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

How have your results been with this approach?
[/quote]
Exactly…

[quote]thetinman wrote:

BULL SHIT
BULL SHIT EVERYWHERE

[quote]thetinman wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Incidentally, I happen to do actual medical research for a living, and I would point out that most of the research (that I’m aware of, that is) supporting veganism and/or vegetarianism is mediocre at best and catastrophically flawed at worst.

But go ahead, give me some studies. Preferably in humans, if possible…not that animal studies are worthless, but medical science is littered with dozens of things that were “proven” in animal studies which have not held up in humans.

If you give me some scientific papers that you believe are in support of your position, I will happily return to this thread and break them down for you.

I have two vegan friends and neither of them is in good physical condition.

How’s that for a study?