I Want the Strongman Look

[quote]csulli wrote:
So you’re 35. You got any kids? Do you want any more kids than you already have (if any)?

If you’re fine with your current offspring situation, then become a “dbag” and start hittin the needle. Problem solved.[/quote]

Yes, I have three total. Ages 1, 3 and 9. I may do that someday, but from what I am hearing, I should only consider that after I have trained my ass off for several years and have hit my natural plateau. Ya know? Thanks for the response bro. I appreciate it a lot.

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:

[quote]dbags_use_gear wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

I just want a monster yoke and be the biggest dude in the room wherever I go. I’m 35, I don’t have 10 freaking years to maybe get to that point…in the meantime, my natural test levels are statistically dropping. I have been training for 9.5 months. No laughing and crap about “only 9 months??” … “that is weak” putting others down is not nice…not a peeing match.

Anyway, before that I was 205lbs and could only lift 1/4 of the weight…now I feel a plateau. I really do. I know flex magazine has answers for that, but I am a straight male and not in to dudes in g strings lol JFK. Anyway, just a little humor there…[/quote]

My answer has not changed with this new information. To get the look you want, drop some fat and then gain some muscle.[/quote]

Dude, thanks for the response. I am not sure we are on the same page though. This past summer, I slimmed back down to 212lbs (beach vacation) I actually got weaker. Taking the advice of many strongman sites, I decided to put healthy weight back on. I got stronger…but only as strong as last late fall/winter. I feel like I have been full circle. I am worried about dropping weight…seems like the extra calories would help much more than hurt.

Please make no mistake, I am NOT saying you are wrong, I obviously don’t know the answers, but is it possible to plateau at about a year and then only see very modest gains years 2-5 or ten? Is it possible that I just need to do something unorthodox? [/quote]

Bro, thank you so much for the advice! I do feel my height is a disadvantage but then I read that people say that tall people just make excuses. I am not making excuses. I do rack pulls from about mid knee cap…does that make sense? As for deads, I do not know if my form is good or bad, I don’t have anyone around me to show me if I am making mistakes. I know I feel it the next day…if that means anything. I don’t do any “glamour muscle” training… Like curls or tricep pulls, I try now to only do compound movements.

Modest gains for 2-5 years can get you to an impressive level if they are consistent. Imagine adding “only” 20lbs to your OHP every year. That gets you 305 which is nothing to sneeze at by most standards (I assume at that point you could do even more on a strongman style log press). Add 25lbs to your deadlift every year and you got 700. Just stay focused, get on a good program (5/3/1 is great for long term progress), don’t get cocky about where you’re at or you’ll do something stupid and get hurt, train for performance on the lifts and don’t focus on the mirror so much.

Some things to consider: your height is a disadvantage and you will need to gain a lot of weight. Look at the discrepancy between your deadlift and rack pull: either your rack pulls are “high” (pulling from above the knee or pretty damn close, not making accusations but its a possibility) or your height and proportions are really giving you bad leverage. And depending on how long your arms are, you may be at a disadvantage in all forms of pressing. You have to gain solid weight and have EXCELLENT form to succeed in this.

As for gear, no matter what anyone here says i’m guessing you will probably take some eventually. But, now is too soon, get solid technique and really nail down you dietary and training routines, and do lots of research on what to take before you buy it[/quote]

WOW you trained almost year? fuck it, train decade and whine it!
ANd about your stats not so high either,“natural max” isnt ever close.

If you’re at a plateau, it might be time to back off instead of pushing harder. There’s a 40 day challenge that has been designed by Pavel Tsatsouline and Dan John swears by it (as you can read on his blog).

Low volume, low intensity and slow progression over 40 days (5 day a week training). It is crazy boring and easy but insanely effective (I’ve tried it). You will make strength gains and not even realize it. You can then come back from that nice break and pound the iron again. Again, it’s crazy easy but amazingly effective and I really suggest it to anyone who has reached that plateau.

One other suggestion is doing Russian style ladders to increase your volume and weight at the same time. Here’s how it works.

Ladder 1: (5,3,2) (55% / 65% / 75%)
Ladder 2: (5,3,2) (60% / 70% / 80%)
Ladder 3: (5,3,2) (65% / 75% / 85%)
Ladder 4: (5,3,2) (70% / 80% / 90%)
Ladder 5: (5,3,2) (75% / 85% / 95%)

That’s 50 pretty heavy reps, highest reps per set is 5, and you give yourself a mental and physical break each time you drop the weight and work back up which allows you to increase the volume. If you’re a beginner, start at 3 ladders, every week add 1 ladder. Or if you feel you can do all 5 ladders, go for it. You can also turn this into heavy circuit training or super-sets. The sky is the limit here.

Don’t feed em please. I knew a strongman competitor never juiced in his life. Made it from decades of hard work. If you ain’t patient with a good work ethic try the shake weight lol

[quote]Jlabs wrote:
Don’t feed em please. I knew a strongman competitor never juiced in his life. Made it from decades of hard work. If you ain’t patient with a good work ethic try the shake weight lol[/quote]

Thanks…I think?? I know it is possible. AS I SAID…I don’t think I have decades at 35. Also, there are hundreds of “strongman competitors” I have been to a few competitions…there are 200lb guys at dome that lift half of what I do. So to just say “made it” means nothing really. Most non pro events are open anyway, so making it is up to individual interpretation.

I do work hard. My question was about the possibility to look like poundstone without juice and without decades…as most pro’s like him, some report only training professionally for WSM for a few years. Then they say they are all natural…like Dwayne Johnson does LOL!!! Anyway, I will assume you were trying to be helpful in some way. For that, thank you.

[quote]Nsmetzer wrote:
If you’re at a plateau, it might be time to back off instead of pushing harder. There’s a 40 day challenge that has been designed by Pavel Tsatsouline and Dan John swears by it (as you can read on his blog).

Low volume, low intensity and slow progression over 40 days (5 day a week training). It is crazy boring and easy but insanely effective (I’ve tried it). You will make strength gains and not even realize it. You can then come back from that nice break and pound the iron again. Again, it’s crazy easy but amazingly effective and I really suggest it to anyone who has reached that plateau.

One other suggestion is doing Russian style ladders to increase your volume and weight at the same time. Here’s how it works.

Ladder 1: (5,3,2) (55% / 65% / 75%)
Ladder 2: (5,3,2) (60% / 70% / 80%)
Ladder 3: (5,3,2) (65% / 75% / 85%)
Ladder 4: (5,3,2) (70% / 80% / 90%)
Ladder 5: (5,3,2) (75% / 85% / 95%)

That’s 50 pretty heavy reps, highest reps per set is 5, and you give yourself a mental and physical break each time you drop the weight and work back up which allows you to increase the volume. If you’re a beginner, start at 3 ladders, every week add 1 ladder. Or if you feel you can do all 5 ladders, go for it. You can also turn this into heavy circuit training or super-sets. The sky is the limit here.[/quote]

Hey, thanks! This Russian ladder thing sounds interesting. i am going to do some reading on it. Anyone here actually do the 5/3/1 thing by that Jim Wendler fellow? Any luck? Hear it is a 20 week gig and supposed to break plateaus.

[quote]Jussi.U wrote:
WOW you trained almost year? fuck it, train decade and whine it!
ANd about your stats not so high either,“natural max” isnt ever close.[/quote]

“WOW you trained almost a year?” “Fuck it, train a decade and then whine about it!”

About your stats; they are not so high either, your “natural max” isn’t even close.

(I just wanted to correct the spelling, punctuation and syntax errors in your post. It was quite difficult to understand. I think I got it now.)

For the OP, the main point I want to make is you ask “did I miss my opportunity” since you didnt start lifting until mid-30’s. The answer is yes, you missed AN opportunity, but NO, you didn’t miss your one-and-only opportunity. Maybe if you’d been lifting since adolescence you’d be bigger now than you can possibly achieve, but so what? I’m confident that you can improve.

Beyond that, there’s a lot to say. You seem focused on the “look” of strongman, and while I get the part about big traps and big shoulders, I’m not sure which “look” you’re referring to? Shaw and Zydrunas have a different look than poundstone and radzikowski. I would say focus on the performance and the looks will follow, but using amateur nationals as an example, these are all guys who train seriously enough to qualify, and there are almost as many body types as competitors. Maybe it’s genetics? Maybe it’s the individual train styles and programs?

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
For the OP, the main point I want to make is you ask “did I miss my opportunity” since you didnt start lifting until mid-30’s. The answer is yes, you missed AN opportunity, but NO, you didn’t miss your one-and-only opportunity. Maybe if you’d been lifting since adolescence you’d be bigger now than you can possibly achieve, but so what? I’m confident that you can improve.

Beyond that, there’s a lot to say. You seem focused on the “look” of strongman, and while I get the part about big traps and big shoulders, I’m not sure which “look” you’re referring to? Shaw and Zydrunas have a different look than poundstone and radzikowski. I would say focus on the performance and the looks will follow, but using amateur nationals as an example, these are all guys who train seriously enough to qualify, and there are almost as many body types as competitors. Maybe it’s genetics? Maybe it’s the individual train styles and programs?[/quote]

I guess that was rather vague. I am not trying to sound like a kid here, but you know when you see a dude that has a massive yoke and you just think he looks like that bull on Wall Street? That is the look. That is why I focus on OHP, heavy rack pulls, DL and such right now. I want to be strong as F**K, and honestly, I am stronger than any guy I know…in my entire extended circle of friends of friends…etc. I am not sure if that means I am strong, or I just know a LOT of weak computer programmers and desk jockeys. I mean compared to you guys, I am a flea I guess. I guess I just need to push harder…but I am terrified of a serious injury. I have a family. Ya know?? I have the mentality…I am pure psycho in the gym, and ready to take on anything in the streets.

i just don’t want to work harder if there is a way to do it smarter. I guess a good example is, if one guy was doing nothing but tricep pulldowns for larger tri’s, he could do that all damn day and not really get anywhere he could be if he would stay away from the glamour exercises…so I guess that is my thing too. i just bought that 5/3/1 ebook. It looks pretty good. Only time will tell. My whole reason for any of this is to honestly be a strong Mutha-Fukka…but to also let everyone around me know (in the store, the streets, etc.) without inviting them to the gym and showing them my max DL. LOL! Thanks!

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

Beyond that, there’s a lot to say. You seem focused on the “look” of strongman, and while I get the part about big traps and big shoulders, I’m not sure which “look” you’re referring to? Shaw and Zydrunas have a different look than poundstone and radzikowski. I would say focus on the performance and the looks will follow, but using amateur nationals as an example, these are all guys who train seriously enough to qualify, and there are almost as many body types as competitors. Maybe it’s genetics? Maybe it’s the individual train styles and programs?[/quote]

I guess that was rather vague. I am not trying to sound like a kid here, but you know when you see a dude that has a massive yoke and you just think he looks like that bull on Wall Street? That is the look. That is why I focus on OHP, heavy rack pulls, DL and such right now. I want to be strong as F**K, and honestly, I am stronger than any guy I know…in my entire extended circle of friends of friends…etc. I am not sure if that means I am strong, or I just know a LOT of weak computer programmers and desk jockeys. I mean compared to you guys, I am a flea I guess. I guess I just need to push harder…but I am terrified of a serious injury. I have a family. Ya know?? I have the mentality…I am pure psycho in the gym, and ready to take on anything in the streets. i just don’t want to work harder if there is a way to do it smarter. I guess a good example is, if one guy was doing nothing but tricep pulldowns for larger tri’s, he could do that all damn day and not really get anywhere he could be if he would stay away from the glamour exercises…so I guess that is my thing too. i just bought that 5/3/1 ebook. It looks pretty good. Only time will tell. My whole reason for any of this is to honestly be a strong Mutha-Fukka…but to also let everyone around me know (in the store, the streets, etc.) without inviting them to the gym and showing them my max DL. LOL! Thanks![/quote]
I think it’s great that you have turned to lifting after a rough early life; if you give it the time it needs, you will be blown away by the results. However, I think that that is where some of your problems lie. The questions about using gear and about missed opportunities seem like you are looking for a short cut to getting strong and huge. You absolutely CANNOT look at top WSM athletes and expect to look like them…EVER. They have without exception trained for years and years and used shitloads of gear. However, what you can expect is to get noticeably bigger and stronger to everyone you know and to almost everybody you walk by on the street. Don’t worry that you are 35, it is largely irrelevant. I’m 32 and am stronger than I was at 25. You have stated that you are stronger than anyone you know after just 9 months of lifting…you should be proud of this. Now just imagine how strong you’ll be and look after 2,5 and 10 years of lifting. I don’t mean any disrespect by this but you can’t expect to be All-World after only 9 months. Consistency, not age, not drugs, not some magic training regimen, is the key to gains. There is no short cut. Train consistently for performance, not esthetics, for a few years and you will be extremely pleased with the results. Good luck!

Just stunbled on the form. This; I’v been training PLing style for around 20yrs and had worked up to a 1500lb total raw and natural, and a pretty solid deadlift. I had no traps what so ever, and other than deads I didn’t do alot of direct trap work. Anyway this spring I added cleans (hang cleans) to my workout on a bet with a friend to see who could get 225x5 first, a month latter I added high pulls apon reading CT’s article. My upper back responded ridculously, no joke.

I have never had a muscle group in 20yrs respond and grow so quickly. there were other factor’s such as comming back after a long layoff, and adding cleans shortly after restarting training again, but I’ve been blown away by my upper back development. I did post pics about 3mths in to the training with cleans and pulls on my log, I just wish I had of taken before pics. I now have one day a week where I just do cleans (15 sets) and on my deadlifting day I do my high pulls. This comeback is all natural, and although nothing special has taken place with other body parts or strength, my upper back growth is awesome.

I don’t know OP if you will have the same results from the same kind of program I used, but we’re similar age, and I have just started back training after a rough patch, and long layoff. I’m not some skinney kid going off how high pulls made my traps so huge. I’m a 40yr lifter, 250lbs who’s been training on and off his whole life, and by working hard on hang cleans, and high pulls for the last 6mths, I’ve done dramatic changes to my upper back. Your welcome to take a look at the pics and workouts on my log, and I hope some of this helps. goodluck

5/3/1 is awesome, and I would invest in both books. Jim has plenty of programs in “Beyond 5/3/1” that fits into what you are looking for.

I would also check out the Super Squats program (20 rep squats anyone?) the book says up to 30lbs in 6 weeks…I believe it. Do a lot of squats, it will make you grow and release an insane amount of testosterone without the steroids.

I personally had a 20lbs increase in 6 weeks so it’s possible.

Pick what is effective and throw out the rest. I haven’t done curls or direct triceps work in probably 18 months but I have added 2 inches to my arms.

Split your days to cover your whole body, but in a different manner each day. For example, Deads/Presses/Pull-Ups or Squats/Bench/Row. Again, all about doing the best lifts and doing it efficiently and cutting the crap that causes overtraining or just wastes time.

Just remember, strength lifts and sets first, then size.

Happy Iron Slinging!

Troll of peace.

Sounds like you just want someone to tell you “It’s OK” and “It’s not your fault”.
You come off sounding like a victim and wanting to shrug off responsibility for your situation
saying that you’re already middle aged and don’t have time nor want to use gear
(Tho I suspect you’re searching for a justifiable excuse to start)

If you were to look into a mirror and ask yourself the same questions
instead of posting them on here
you would end up with the same answers.
In order to look like a Strongman Competitor
You need to become a Strong Man
and maybe even enter into a competition to put a fire under your ass.

Even on gear strength takes a long long time to develop
Use some common sense
and then get out of your comfort zone
Perhaps you should train like a strongman
At least add some heavy farmers walks to your program
If you have access or can gain access top the equipment
do Tire flips, Log presses, axle clean and jerks, atlas stones, keg loads, sandbag carries, Car deadlifts, Sled/prowler work, ETC.

Go into your backyard and throw heavy shit around
Logs or rocks or whatever u can find
pick it up, press it, carry it, throw it, push it, pull it

Now if you really just want to “Look Strong” without developing any actual strength
then You need to post your questions to the gear using Dbag Bodybuilder types
so they can tell u to use lots of drugs and get wicked vascular pumps doing cable crossover curls in the squat rack

Well said sir !

My question was about the possibility to look like poundstone without juice and without decades[/quote]

I want real freaking answers, no bull.[/quote]

Simple answer: No, you will not look like him.

Listen to yourself, you’re 35 years old. You have 9.5 months of training under your belt. Then you’re asking yourself if you will ever look like Derek Poundstone, who has been training for almost 2 decades. It’s honestly common sense.

Two things I’m shocked havent been brought up (apologies if they’re in here somewhere): genetics and diet.

Genetics is a dirty word around here, and rightly so, but there are far, far more guys who take stuff than there are guys who look like Poundstone.

Second is diet. To the average person, someone who is lean looks more jacked than that same guy would look if he were carrying an add’l 10, 20+ lbs of fat. Hell, even among guys on here. Poundstone’s not the biggest at WSM, by a long shot, but ppl aren’t talking about looking like Zydrunas because he’s not as lean as Derek. There are plenty of bodybuilding diet coaches, or if you want a strongman one, I know Mike Mastell works w competitors and I think Vince Urbank does.