T Nation

I Want the Strongman Look


#1

I want the strongman look...like a bear. I am currently 6'4 and 250 but I feel so damn small compared to most strongman. If I want that huge trap, huge shoulder look, will I have to take a sh***it load of gear or can a true natty ever get the look/strength of poundstone without it?? I am only at 205lb for OHP and 765 rack pull, 575lb DL. I feel like I am at a plateau. I want real freaking answers, no bull. No "eat more calorie crap" I eat 5k a day now ...so is it indulge in gear or stay small??


#2

I’ve been a recreational lifter for about 20 years. After genuinely developing an interest in powerlifting and researching different feds, records, etc. I had a huge culture shockesque moment when I realized just how common AAS and PED use is, even at the amateur level. Even 140 lb bodybuilders are on gear to build and maintain their mass while they get peeled.

I had no idea it was so prevalent until recently. I think you pretty well summed it up when you typed, “…so is it indulge in gear or stay small??”.


#3

[quote]The_Jed wrote:
I’ve been a recreational lifter for about 20 years. After genuinely developing an interest in powerlifting and researching different feds, records, etc. I had a huge culture shockesque moment when I realized just how common AAS and PED use is, even at the amateur level. Even 140 lb bodybuilders are on gear to build and maintain their mass while they get peeled.

I had no idea it was so prevalent until recently. I think you pretty well summed it up when you typed, “…so is it indulge in gear or stay small??”.

[/quote]

I think you are right…and it sucks. I think the worst part is the secrecy…I believe in the “own it” philosophy. If you are Derek poundstone, don’t act like eating a chicken shake has given you the ability to DL 1000+ lbs. I believe in transparency. I am not judging, but I wish these guys were honest about it. Obviously there is a natural strongman federation for a reason…so why not call the WSM “horse AAS dosing mf-ers”

I am proud to be natty, however if I was using a shiit ton of gear, I would brag about that too…I hate the posers. If u are not natty, then I say just own it. But pppllleeeaaassseee stop saying it is protein shakes and technique people. Ugh!! Lol, okay, venting over…


#4

[quote]dbags_use_gear wrote:Obviously there is a natural strongman federation for a reason…so why not call the WSM “horse AAS dosing mf-ers”

I am proud to be natty, however if I was using a shiit ton of gear, I would brag about that too…I hate the posers. If u are not natty, then I say just own it. But pppllleeeaaassseee stop saying it is protein shakes and technique people. Ugh!! Lol, okay, venting over…[/quote]

What “natural” strongman federation? If you’re talking about NAS, there is nothing in the rules disallowing PEDs. And I’ve never heard of a strongman being drug tested.

Not sure why you would want someone who uses AAS to be vocal about it. That doesn’t exactly set a good example for kids that look up to them. And outside of some special cases like doctor assistance, AAS use is illegal. It would just be outright stupid for a public figure to implicate themselves.

If you want bigger traps and shoulders get your OHP and deadlift up.


#5

Honestly, I don’t think the issue is gear. At 250lbs, you are only pressing 205 and deadlifting 575. This means that a lot of the 250lbs you are carrying is fat, which is why, despite your height and weight, you don’t have the look you want.

Were I in your situation, I would take some time to drop fat until you are lean and then start building up your weight and strength again. Right now, eating more isn’t helping you get stronger because you’re so heavy that 5 thousand calories is needed to support your body/activity level. If you are lighter, it will make a bigger impact.

Like the guy above me said: get stronger if you want to get bigger.


#6

A lot of people miscomprehend steroids. That’s a lot of reason why people don’t say “oh yeah, im on steroids”. Can you imagine the look of sports if everyone was so open to it? Everyone would think that steroids does the work for them. They think its a magic pill.

Regardless, these guys are huge. They’re fucking beasts, literally. They’re the type of guys that fight bears on a mountain. What they can do is amazing and it takes hard work & dedication as to other sports.

The thing i hate the most is that strongman/powerlifting & BBing get the worst when it comes to “PED/AAS” because of the nature of sport. But in reality EVERY sport has some sort of PEDs around them. Sprinters, Bikers, Swimmers etc…

I’ve said this many times before, at elite level it’s how good you can hide your PED usage.


#7

[quote]mattypyuu wrote:
A lot of people miscomprehend steroids. That’s a lot of reason why people don’t say “oh yeah, im on steroids”. Can you imagine the look of sports if everyone was so open to it? Everyone would think that steroids does the work for them. They think its a magic pill.

Regardless, these guys are huge. They’re fucking beasts, literally. They’re the type of guys that fight bears on a mountain. What they can do is amazing and it takes hard work & dedication as to other sports.

The thing i hate the most is that strongman/powerlifting & BBing get the worst when it comes to “PED/AAS” because of the nature of sport. But in reality EVERY sport has some sort of PEDs around them. Sprinters, Bikers, Swimmers etc…

I’ve said this many times before, at elite level it’s how good you can hide your PED usage.[/quote]
I think this is a really good post. PEDs and steroids are one of the subjects where I find myself inclined to argue against anybody that is too extreme. You’re absolutely right that it takes a lot of work and dedication to get to the top, PEDs or not.

However, on the other hand, top strength athletes wouldn’t be what they are without steroids. Further, it is literally true that taking steroids will make you stronger even without working out. You won’t reach Derek Poundstone level, but you’ll make progress.

Mostly, I think too many people have a chip on their shoulder about the subject. Natural guys are upset that they don’t get the same results and see steroid users as cheaters. Steroid guys are upset that people think their success came from a syringe and don’t understand the work that went into it. Everyone needs to understand the other side has some valid points and respect their decision.

Personally, I don’t take steroids because I make a lot more money at my day job than I ever could as a strength athlete. I’ve got a family to support and can’t risk failing a drug test.


#8

I just got back from gym


#9

I just want a monster yoke and be the biggest dude in the room wherever I go. I’m 35, I don’t have 10 freaking years to maybe get to that point…in the meantime, my natural test levels are statistically dropping. I have been training for 9.5 months. No laughing and crap about “only 9 months??” … “that is weak” putting others down is not nice…not a peeing match.

Anyway, before that I was 205lbs and could only lift 1/4 of the weight…now I feel a plateau. I really do. I know flex magazine has answers for that, but I am a straight male and not in to dudes in g strings lol JFK. Anyway, just a little humor there…


#10

[quote]dbags_use_gear wrote:
I just want a monster yoke and be the biggest dude in the room wherever I go. I’m 35, I don’t have 10 freaking years to maybe get to that point…in the meantime, my natural test levels are statistically dropping. I have been training for 9.5 months. No laughing and crap about “only 9 months??” … “that is weak” putting others down is not nice…not a peeing match.

Anyway, before that I was 205lbs and could only lift 1/4 of the weight…now I feel a plateau. I really do. I know flex magazine has answers for that, but I am a straight male and not in to dudes in g strings lol JFK. Anyway, just a little humor there…[/quote]

My answer has not changed with this new information. To get the look you want, drop some fat and then gain some muscle.


#11

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]dbags_use_gear wrote:
I just want a monster yoke and be the biggest dude in the room wherever I go. I’m 35, I don’t have 10 freaking years to maybe get to that point…in the meantime, my natural test levels are statistically dropping. I have been training for 9.5 months. No laughing and crap about “only 9 months??” … “that is weak” putting others down is not nice…not a peeing match.

Anyway, before that I was 205lbs and could only lift 1/4 of the weight…now I feel a plateau. I really do. I know flex magazine has answers for that, but I am a straight male and not in to dudes in g strings lol JFK. Anyway, just a little humor there…[/quote]

My answer has not changed with this new information. To get the look you want, drop some fat and then gain some muscle.[/quote]

Dude, thanks for the response. I am not sure we are on the same page though. This past summer, I slimmed back down to 212lbs (beach vacation) I actually got weaker. Taking the advice of many strongman sites, I decided to put healthy weight back on. I got stronger…but only as strong as last late fall/winter. I feel like I have been full circle. I am worried about dropping weight…seems like the extra calories would help much more than hurt.

Please make no mistake, I am NOT saying you are wrong, I obviously don’t know the answers, but is it possible to plateau at about a year and then only see very modest gains years 2-5 or ten? Is it possible that I just need to do something unorthodox?


#12

[quote]dbags_use_gear wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]dbags_use_gear wrote:
I just want a monster yoke and be the biggest dude in the room wherever I go. I’m 35, I don’t have 10 freaking years to maybe get to that point…in the meantime, my natural test levels are statistically dropping. I have been training for 9.5 months. No laughing and crap about “only 9 months??” … “that is weak” putting others down is not nice…not a peeing match.

Anyway, before that I was 205lbs and could only lift 1/4 of the weight…now I feel a plateau. I really do. I know flex magazine has answers for that, but I am a straight male and not in to dudes in g strings lol JFK. Anyway, just a little humor there…[/quote]

My answer has not changed with this new information. To get the look you want, drop some fat and then gain some muscle.[/quote]

Dude, thanks for the response. I am not sure we are on the same page though. This past summer, I slimmed back down to 212lbs (beach vacation) I actually got weaker. Taking the advice of many strongman sites, I decided to put healthy weight back on. I got stronger…but only as strong as last late fall/winter. I feel like I have been full circle. I am worried about dropping weight…seems like the extra calories would help much more than hurt.

Please make no mistake, I am NOT saying you are wrong, I obviously don’t know the answers, but is it possible to plateau at about a year and then only see very modest gains years 2-5 or ten? Is it possible that I just need to do something unorthodox? [/quote]
A truly impressive physique and strength level is something that takes years, dedication, smart training, and a good diet. And good drugs don’t hurt. No one can tell you how to become a ripped 300lb behemoth in 90 days, because it’s probably not possible.

With that in mind, you have a couple choices.

–Keep eating and training, trying to get stronger. Take the supplements that you want and make your decision about what drugs you’re willing to take. Without steroids, this will take a long time and progress will be slow. If you train consistently and smart, eat well, and avoid injury, you will get stronger. But you will probably be fat. Keep in mind that most strongmen don’t have a very aesthetic physique.
–Lose weight. Your lifts will probably go down. But you’ll probably look better. The thing is, not being fat usually leads to a better quality of life. So even if this slows down your strength gains, it may make you happier overall. If you lose weight intelligently, you can probably keep a lot of your strength.
–Give up.

Another thing to consider is that at your age, your natural T is declining. You’ll probably be able to find you a doctor that will prescribe replacement T for you.


#13

This is some fine, fine trolling.


#14

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
This is some fine, fine trolling.[/quote]

Unless you have something intelligent to say, move on. Why is this trolling?? Because I asked a question? Are you jealous that I am complaining about being a size and strength currently that you probably will never achieve?


#15

[quote]dbags_use_gear wrote:

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
This is some fine, fine trolling.[/quote]

Unless you have something intelligent to say, move on. Why is this trolling?? Because I asked a question? Are you jealous that I am complaining about being a size and strength currently that you probably will never achieve? [/quote]

No offense man but that was pretty much the most rude thing that has been said in this entire thing. No offense but your levels of strength and size are not that hard to attain. I’m 40lbs lighter than you and out lift you in pretty much everything you posted and this is backed up with video in my log. Not trying to be a douche but, you could easily be seen as a troll. I personally dont think you are but, could easily see it. Also if you want respect show it just ignore ass hole comments and prove your not a troll ny sticking around and giving something positive to the forum. As for your goal. You have been at it seriously for 9 months man its going to take time. You dont Deadlift a few weeks and have the traps of bull. Sorry it just doesn’t work that way even on gear it doesn’t work that way.

I mean no disrespect here and apologize for sounding douchish but honestly you need to hear this. Your going about this problem the way a 16 year old kid would. Calm Dow, think, eat, lift, repeat.


#16

[quote]dbags_use_gear wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]dbags_use_gear wrote:
I just want a monster yoke and be the biggest dude in the room wherever I go. I’m 35, I don’t have 10 freaking years to maybe get to that point…in the meantime, my natural test levels are statistically dropping. I have been training for 9.5 months. No laughing and crap about “only 9 months??” … “that is weak” putting others down is not nice…not a peeing match.

Anyway, before that I was 205lbs and could only lift 1/4 of the weight…now I feel a plateau. I really do. I know flex magazine has answers for that, but I am a straight male and not in to dudes in g strings lol JFK. Anyway, just a little humor there…[/quote]

My answer has not changed with this new information. To get the look you want, drop some fat and then gain some muscle.[/quote]

Dude, thanks for the response. I am not sure we are on the same page though. This past summer, I slimmed back down to 212lbs (beach vacation) I actually got weaker. Taking the advice of many strongman sites, I decided to put healthy weight back on. I got stronger…but only as strong as last late fall/winter. I feel like I have been full circle. I am worried about dropping weight…seems like the extra calories would help much more than hurt.

Please make no mistake, I am NOT saying you are wrong, I obviously don’t know the answers, but is it possible to plateau at about a year and then only see very modest gains years 2-5 or ten? Is it possible that I just need to do something unorthodox? [/quote]

Modest gains for 2-5 years can get you to an impressive level if they are consistent. Imagine adding “only” 20lbs to your OHP every year. That gets you 305 which is nothing to sneeze at by most standards (I assume at that point you could do even more on a strongman style log press). Add 25lbs to your deadlift every year and you got 700. Just stay focused, get on a good program (5/3/1 is great for long term progress), don’t get cocky about where you’re at or you’ll do something stupid and get hurt, train for performance on the lifts and don’t focus on the mirror so much.

Some things to consider: your height is a disadvantage and you will need to gain a lot of weight. Look at the discrepancy between your deadlift and rack pull: either your rack pulls are “high” (pulling from above the knee or pretty damn close, not making accusations but its a possibility) or your height and proportions are really giving you bad leverage. And depending on how long your arms are, you may be at a disadvantage in all forms of pressing. You have to gain solid weight and have EXCELLENT form to succeed in this.

As for gear, no matter what anyone here says i’m guessing you will probably take some eventually. But, now is too soon, get solid technique and really nail down you dietary and training routines, and do lots of research on what to take before you buy it


#17

So you’re 35. You got any kids? Do you want any more kids than you already have (if any)?

If you’re fine with your current offspring situation, then become a “dbag” and start hittin the needle. Problem solved.


#18

[quote]dbags_use_gear wrote:

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
This is some fine, fine trolling.[/quote]

Unless you have something intelligent to say, move on. Why is this trolling?? Because I asked a question? Are you jealous that I am complaining about being a size and strength currently that you probably will never achieve? [/quote]

Holy cow, this is hilarious. I am above your strength levels and outside of competition season (yes, I actually COMPETE) when I cut down to 105kg, I’m you’re size, and I’m lifetime drug-free.

Why is it trolling? Because you picked an intentionally flammatory name. Because you came to a subforum concerned w performance and asked your question in a way that makes it seem that your real concern isnt with your number but with the “big shoulders, big traps” look.

Because instead of simply asking the question of how to get bigger (which would’ve been a dumb question anyway, given a) the plethora of articles on this site and b) the lack of any info on your current training) you phrase it as this victim statement where you can’t possibly get any bigger without drugs, despite the fact that many of us have done exactly that.

That’s why.


#19

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]dbags_use_gear wrote:

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
This is some fine, fine trolling.[/quote]

Unless you have something intelligent to say, move on. Why is this trolling?? Because I asked a question? Are you jealous that I am complaining about being a size and strength currently that you probably will never achieve? [/quote]

No offense man but that was pretty much the most rude thing that has been said in this entire thing. No offense but your levels of strength and size are not that hard to attain. I’m 40lbs lighter than you and out lift you in pretty much everything you posted and this is backed up with video in my log. Not trying to be a douche but, you could easily be seen as a troll. I personally dont think you are but, could easily see it. Also if you want respect show it just ignore ass hole comments and prove your not a troll ny sticking around and giving something positive to the forum. As for your goal. You have been at it seriously for 9 months man its going to take time. You dont Deadlift a few weeks and have the traps of bull. Sorry it just doesn’t work that way even on gear it doesn’t work that way.

I mean no disrespect here and apologize for sounding douchish but honestly you need to hear this. Your going about this problem the way a 16 year old kid would. Calm Dow, think, eat, lift, repeat.[/quote]

Thank you and much respect to you. I apologize and I did not mean to disrespect anyone here…I am not a troll…and I didn’t mean to insult anyone. I am frustrated. I have given blood and sweat for almost a year and I feel like I am making no progress. Just last week I was doing 785 rack pulls and tore three calluses to bloody craters in my hand. Now I can’t hardly lift for a week…I am NOT whining. I am just trying to look into that crystal ball and wonder if I missed my opportunity in my prime…also, , I am not a lifetime weightlifter. I was picked on in high school because of my size…I was 6’4 then too…and all of the shorter jacked up dudes would try to pick fights…my dad was a addict, and beat me since I was a kid. I could never fight back bc of my home life…please try to understand. I have anger issues and decided finally at 35 to channel that into a passion for lifting. I also box…three times a week. I think I am pretty good, but my coach says I hit too hard and I am not quick. Another ego blow. Anyway, I guess I just didn’t realize that it took so much time and effort to get to a point where people actually noticed that I was busting my ass. I don’t care that little dudes saw “you are huge” I want big dudes like you to notice that I am one of them. Again, I am sorry for making rude comments, I just snapped. I am in no place to be in a pissing match among you guys that have put in work.

I know now my questions may have sounded trollish. I never meant that. I just need guidance from those I admire like you. I want the “look” and the strength. I feel like I am in a race against the clock though. Ya know? Anyway, thank you. A lot. I appreciate your help…all of it.


#20

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

[quote]dbags_use_gear wrote:

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
This is some fine, fine trolling.[/quote]

Unless you have something intelligent to say, move on. Why is this trolling?? Because I asked a question? Are you jealous that I am complaining about being a size and strength currently that you probably will never achieve? [/quote]

Holy cow, this is hilarious. I am above your strength levels and outside of competition season (yes, I actually COMPETE) when I cut down to 105kg, I’m you’re size, and I’m lifetime drug-free.

Why is it trolling? Because you picked an intentionally flammatory name. Because you came to a subforum concerned w performance and asked your question in a way that makes it seem that your real concern isnt with your number but with the “big shoulders, big traps” look.

Because instead of simply asking the question of how to get bigger (which would’ve been a dumb question anyway, given a) the plethora of articles on this site and b) the lack of any info on your current training) you phrase it as this victim statement where you can’t possibly get any bigger without drugs, despite the fact that many of us have done exactly that.

That’s why.[/quote]

I apologize for snapping at you. My anger is at myself. I was not trying to be a troll. I know you have put in work, and your words are valuable. Please accept my apology. Imam just so damned frustrated. Read my last post to understand why. I want to be able to hold my own, protect my little boy, my two girls against anything that should threaten us. I know you are where I would dream of being. I had no right to talk to you that way. I am just trying to get solid answers. I am so tired of reading conflicting information, spending hours and hours each week online and at the gym and not knowing the BS from the truth. Again, please excuse my comment and accept my apology. My username was created at the spur of the moment while I had read about a dozen or so douche bags that brag about being monsters after taking a few cycles of the junky-junk. Then I read a few articles by poundstone claiming that he just “ate his wheaties” and in a few years looks like he has the yoke of a rhino I get soooo freaking pissed off. Again, I am sorry. The problem is me. Not you. But to clarify, I am not a troll. I am just a frustrated 35 year old dude that wants to look like one of you and be strong like you before I have trouble pissing and cataracts. Thank you in advance for (please) being forgiving.