I Want More Deadlift

I am doing the Rippetoe program right now and is there a reason why everything else is 3x5 and deadlift is only 1x5? I really feel like I could do more, so basically, should I stick with the 1x5 or bump up the volume?

Deadlifts are tough to recover from man… If you’re a human back-hoe… sure. Other than that squats sure seem to be alot easier to recover from for the amount of work they make your body do so i think rippletoe believes the squat should be the bread and butter, and the deadlift the shock to your system… not the other way around

warm up then do the 5 reps as heavy singles.

On my deadlift days I’ve been warming up with:

225x4
315x2
365x1
then a max attempt(395)

8 reps total…

Squats increase your deadlift in addition to increasing your squat.

Deadlifts increase your deadlift.

Using both is good- but proportionally more squatting is better.

[quote]Otep wrote:

Using both is good- but proportionally more squatting is better.[/quote]

this is true.

[quote]Otep wrote:

That’s arguable! I may agree, I’d need to think about it.

Thanks

[quote]Otep wrote:

I would definitely agree with you on that. I have barely deadlifted in the past year (never really knew the importance until I came to this site and our football program doesn’t have it as an exercise), but I have been squatting a lot more. Still, my deadlift is now 335 max. I know its low, but when I started working out, it was sub 100, so I don’t think I did too bad.

Oh, and I have been squatting Olympic style. I am quad dominant in squatting (a good amount of glutes involved too), so hamstrings weren’t really stressed.

I love to hear about guys who have pathetic deadlifts (100ish, like me) and then triple their weight. Definitely something to look forward to. Like ukranian, I am a quad-dominant squatter so my hamstrings are relatively weak. I am not sure I can agree or not, but I intend on hitting more good-mornings to stress hamstring work and cut back on the squatting as my quad:ham ratio is approaching 2:1.

I pulled 395 today five times (not successive).
:slight_smile:

This is after squatting 310 for 3x5
:frowning:

I love rippetoes. I just wish I was eating more.

Deads recruit more muscle fibers than any other lift. They tighten everything from your calves all the way up to your neck.
Some consider them to be the best test of “functional strength” (whatever that means).

If you are trying to stay on your program, and what you do seems easy, try adding weight to the bar until you can only do what they say to do (1 set of 5 reps).

The intensity you feel may make you pass out, puke, or see stars. But there is a reason for the one set, and it seems that it is to force you to use maximal effort.

I’m also about to begin on the Starting Strength program, and I’m wondering how long does one usually rest between sets?
Thanks!

I normally need about 90-120 seconds of rest.

Deadlift are recommended as singles because your form changes if you do multiple reps. From what I’ve read when you lower the weight after your first rep for a deadlift you basically store that tension in your muscles and the next reps are easier. If you want more volume do more singles, you can even do them back to back and just reset your form in between.

I suppose to discharge that tension all you would have to do is let go of the bar, stand upright for a moment, then immediate dive back in. Might look silly but you could get a good rhythm going between your body motion and breathing that way. Thanks for the advice joburnet, I will try it next week.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
I suppose to discharge that tension all you would have to do is let go of the bar, stand upright for a moment, then immediate dive back in. [/quote]
Hence the term “dead” lift, the weight is dead (resting on the ground)for each rep.

[quote]rodle wrote:

If you are trying to stay on your program, and what you do seems easy, try adding weight to the bar until you can only do what they say to do (1 set of 5 reps).
[/quote]

It works!