T Nation

I Want a Freakin Six Pack

So I really want a six pack, hard and defined. I am very fit and pretty muscular, but I cant seem to get my six pack really defined. I probably have better abs than the average joe, but nothing like a real body builders popping eight. Anyone got the perfect ab routine?

[quote]bigdude wrote:
So I really want a six pack, hard and defined. I am very fit and pretty muscular, but I cant seem to get my six pack really defined. I probably have better abs than the average joe, but nothing like a real body builders popping eight. Anyone got the perfect ab routine?[/quote]

Post pics so we can see how close you are to having a 6 pack. Then we can give better advice on what to do.

You are kidding, right? Let’s see…you have well developed abs, but there is something presenting you from seeing them…hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Drawing a blank. I will click on search and see if I can find something related to abs.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
You are kidding, right? Let’s see…you have well developed abs, but there is something presenting you from seeing them…hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Drawing a blank. I will click on search and see if I can find something related to abs.[/quote]

I wonder if something could be covering his abs to prevent the world from seeing them.

Perhaps he should take off his shirt, shave his stomach or maybe it might be something else.

I wonder if he also has big lower back muscles.

I too want a six-pack. Let’sme at 7-11 and split one!

Seriously, it’s like someone said, it’s 90% diet…and it’s the obvious stuff.


I think people fail to realize that the rectus abdominus is just like every other muscle. You can train it for endurance (high reps, low resistance; eg. 250 situps every day) or you can train it for size, bulk and that POP of the 8 pack.

If you want the pop to show you need to overload the muscle by adding weight to your exercises and keeping your reps low. As well as giving adequate rest. Don’t train your abs more than twice a week.

The best is a heavy cable crunch in the 6-10 range, holding contraction at the end until fully exhaled, and then trying to force exhale before slowing returning upward.

Found this (while the form is slack and too fast on the eccentric, the rest is decent. Also, I prefer using a v-bar attachment instead of a rope as the rope can tear at the hands in this motion):

Instructions
Preparation:

Kneel below a high pulley. Grasp cable rope attachment and place wrists against the head. Flex hips slightly and allow the weight to hyperextend the lower back.

Execution:

With the hips stationary, flex the waist so the elbows travel toward the middle of the thighs. Return and repeat.

Tips:

Keep the hips as stationary as possible through the movement and do not use momentum by bringing the arms and back into it too much.
Balance heavy weight and quality reps.

[quote]AllTraps wrote:
I think people fail to realize that the rectus abdominus is just like every other muscle. You can train it for endurance (high reps, low resistance; eg. 250 situps every day) or you can train it for size, bulk and that POP of the 8 pack.

If you want the pop to show you need to overload the muscle by adding weight to your exercises and keeping your reps low. As well as giving adequate rest. Don’t train your abs more than twice a week.

The best is a heavy cable crunch in the 6-10 range, holding contraction at the end until fully exhaled, and then trying to force exhale before slowing returning upward.

Found this (while the form is slack and too fast on the eccentric, the rest is decent. Also, I prefer using a v-bar attachment instead of a rope as the rope can tear at the hands in this motion):

Instructions
Preparation:

Kneel below a high pulley. Grasp cable rope attachment and place wrists against the head. Flex hips slightly and allow the weight to hyperextend the lower back.

Execution:

With the hips stationary, flex the waist so the elbows travel toward the middle of the thighs. Return and repeat.

Tips:

Keep the hips as stationary as possible through the movement and do not use momentum by bringing the arms and back into it too much.
Balance heavy weight and quality reps.
[/quote]

Thank you for a real answer. This is what I was looking for. To all you other haters, I am 5’8 160, not really a bigdude. I am just getting into this body building thing, and it is definitely not fat that is holding me back.

You’re right. What’s holding you back is that you’re skinny. Actually, you’re probably skinny-fat. Have fun getting flamed with that attitude.

[quote]bigdude wrote:
I am just getting into this body building thing, and it is definitely not fat that is holding me back. [/quote]

Yes it is. Everyone has abs, lose enough bodyfat and you will see them. I do agree however, that doing weighted movements such as outlined above, will build them and make them “pop” when the bf is lowered enough.

I can’t believe that Prof X hasnt jumped in this one yet.

You could always try the abercrombie model or meth addict method of getting a six pack. Take drugs, don’t eat and do 1000 crunches a day…

Or you could clean up your diet, put in the time and energy and effort, and develop a body and a six pack in the process.

First way is much easier.

Don’t forget to have nutrient rich blood.

[quote]bigdude wrote:

Thank you for a real answer. This is what I was looking for. To all you other haters, I am 5’8 160, not really a bigdude. I am just getting into this body building thing, and it is definitely not fat that is holding me back. [/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqbn1PPeQtg&mode=related&search=

If this kid can have a six pack, so can you. Trust us, it’s the fat.

I believe you can pay an airbrush artist to do a little bit of highlighting on your abs. Really brings out the definition and makes em all purdy. Or maybe try synthol injections directly into the abs, that’d really make em pop.

fuck the six pack, I got me a whole case
Jay

I think the best “ab” exercise is front squat lockouts from the pins with (much)more then your best front squat. Make sure to hold for a bit at the top. Make sure to keep a “big chest”. Add chains if you’re feelin’ frisky.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Don’t forget to have nutrient rich blood.[/quote]

Burn.

[quote]wfifer wrote:
bigdude wrote:

Thank you for a real answer. This is what I was looking for. To all you other haters, I am 5’8 160, not really a bigdude. I am just getting into this body building thing, and it is definitely not fat that is holding me back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqbn1PPeQtg&mode=related&search=

If this kid can have a six pack, so can you. Trust us, it’s the fat. [/quote]

HAHAHAHHAHA that video really made me laugh

[quote]bigdude wrote:

Thank you for a real answer. This is what I was looking for. To all you other haters, I am 5’8 160, not really a bigdude. I am just getting into this body building thing, and it is definitely not fat that is holding me back. [/quote]

probaly not, what is holding you back is lack of muscle, you might think this is not true, I once weighed 160lbs and thought the same way… Oh well live and learn.

Here is what i recomend dont worry about the abs right now try to pack on a good 30-40 mostly quailty pounds and getting stronger with the big lifts(dont forogot isolation work either though.) By adding weight to Lifts like front squats, back squats, deadlifts, good mornings, etc your abs WILL get bigger and stronger and “pop” out.

Once you have done this you will have decent mass you can cut down to sherd some of the bulking fat and you should have big strong abs.

Seriously what is the point of having no real width or thickness to your back, legs, etc just to have a 6 pack?

[quote]bigdude wrote:

Thank you for a real answer. This is what I was looking for. To all you other haters, I am 5’8 160, not really a bigdude. I am just getting into this body building thing, and it is definitely not fat that is holding me back. [/quote]

I’m 5’9" and 165 lbs, and my bodyfat is in the low teens. And I don’t want a six pack yet. I’m too damn thin. And you are probably too thin as well.

How about putting on some more lean muscle before you try to define your muscles?

tweak

[quote]KO421 wrote:
bigdude wrote:

Thank you for a real answer. This is what I was looking for. To all you other haters, I am 5’8 160, not really a bigdude. I am just getting into this body building thing, and it is definitely not fat that is holding me back.

probaly not, what is holding you back is lack of muscle, you might think this is not true, I once weighed 160lbs and thought the same way… Oh well live and learn.

Here is what i recomend dont worry about the abs right now try to pack on a good 30-40 mostly quailty pounds and getting stronger with the big lifts(dont forogot isolation work either though.) By adding weight to Lifts like front squats, back squats, deadlifts, good mornings, etc your abs WILL get bigger and stronger and “pop” out.

Once you have done this you will have decent mass you can cut down to sherd some of the bulking fat and you should have big strong abs.

Seriously what is the point of having no real width or thickness to your back, legs, etc just to have a 6 pack?[/quote]

Very good advice, I was going to say something very close to this, but you already did.