I Want a Bigger Snatch and Clean

I’m a CrossFit guy but really need to get my top strength up so I’m setting that aside for the time being and focusing on a PL and OL combo. I’m doing a 5/3/1 with Chest, Squat, OH Press, DL and tossing in OL after or before the main lifts of the 5/3/1. Here’s a breakdown of the lifting days.

Chest Day:
Hang Cleans- 5,5,3,3,2,2,1
Bench 5/3/1
Dips

Squat:
Back Squat 5/3/1
OH Squat 5x5
OH Squat 5x10

Rest Day

OH Press day:
Press 5/3/1
Jerk- 5-5-3-3-2-1-1
Snatch Grip Jerk: 3-3-2-2-1
Snatch Pull: 5-5-3-3-2

DL Day:
Deadlift 5/3/1
Clean DL- 5-5-3-3-2-2
Snatch grip DL: 5-5-3-3-2-2

So this is my breakdown. It’s help my Clean go from 210 to 230 lbs in a month but I’ve yet to set a new snatch PR (I’m only at 145 lbs). I train all the different components but down have a day where I actually do a full snatch. Any thoughts on what to Tweak so I could get my snatch stronger.

[quote]Morgansa wrote:
I’m a CrossFit guy but really need to get my top strength up so I’m setting that aside for the time being and focusing on a PL and OL combo. I’m doing a 5/3/1 with Chest, Squat, OH Press, DL and tossing in OL after or before the main lifts of the 5/3/1. Here’s a breakdown of the lifting days.

Chest Day:
Hang Cleans- 5,5,3,3,2,2,1
Bench 5/3/1
Dips

Squat:
Back Squat 5/3/1
OH Squat 5x5
OH Squat 5x10

Rest Day

OH Press day:
Press 5/3/1
Jerk- 5-5-3-3-2-1-1
Snatch Grip Jerk: 3-3-2-2-1
Snatch Pull: 5-5-3-3-2

DL Day:
Deadlift 5/3/1
Clean DL- 5-5-3-3-2-2
Snatch grip DL: 5-5-3-3-2-2

So this is my breakdown. It’s help my Clean go from 210 to 230 lbs in a month but I’ve yet to set a new snatch PR (I’m only at 145 lbs). I train all the different components but down have a day where I actually do a full snatch. Any thoughts on what to Tweak so I could get my snatch stronger.
[/quote]

I worked with a ton of Crossfit guys on their OL… many of them have gotten significant PRs in 1 or 2 sessions.

You will not like what I will say:

Get as strong as you want, if you have technical flaws you will not be able to make the weights move up on the OL (especially if you rarely practice them).

Now one thing I noticed with 90% of the Crossfit people I worked with is that they ALL think that their technique is very solid. And in ALL of them there was at least one major flaw (that might not be obvious to them) that prevented their lifts from moving up… I had quite a few guys who were stuck at the same level for 4-5 months, increase their snatch by 20-25lbs simply by correcting one technique issue that they would never have thought they had.

So the first thing to do is to find a GOOD coach who can analyze your technique and correct it. I’m not talking about a guy from your box with a Crossfit certs who lifts pretty well, neither am I talking about watching technique videos on youtube and tell yourself: ‘‘yeah, I look like that’’. I’m talking about an actual olympic lifting coach that has trained a lot of athletes before.

Then the second thing is to work on technique… olympic lifting, especially the snatch, is AT LEAST more technique and timing dependant than strength and power dependant. You can get super strong, if your technique doesn’t improve your lifts will not go up.

The Crossfit athlete I had the biggest improvements with (a girl who went from a 135lbs snatch to 175-180 and from a 180 clean to a 215) basically trained like an olympic lifter for 3 months. Meaning doing the lifts 4-5 days a week.