I want a bigger butt

though…

you don’t wanna make the girl version of the boys mistake of focusing on your lower body to the exclusion of your upper body. probably you know this, but sometimes it is worth saying.

chin-ups, bench, rows, presses… they are important, too. shapely shoulders and arms etc.

with respect to the ‘too big’ thing that is a fairly rare combination of genetics and one hell of a lot of hard work. you definitely won’t get freaky big overnight if at all - takes a lot of hard work and food to pull off that look and it certainly doesn’t happen by accident. you can pull in the reins down the track if you choose to.

often people say to grow first and worry about ‘shaping’ later. i mean… muscles can only get bigger or smaller or remain the same. body fat levels can rise and fall. that is about all. i’d just hate to see someone half ass their training (lol) for fear that they will get ‘too big’ if they don’t give it their all. they only progress more slowly because of it.

there is still a lot of controversy over whether women and men should train differently. guess the answer is the same in some respects and different in some respects. still a lot of controversy over whether one should start out with a bodybuilding type of bodypart split program vs starting out trying to progress their strength on the basic lifts (e.g., 5x5 or 5/3/1) if the main aim is to look good naked. guess the most important thing is to get a non-stupid program and work hard.

you might like to start a log. it can be a good way to track your progress over time and get some feedback etc.

[quote]devilmanVISA wrote:
Depending on your penchant for muscle growth and also on whether you are quad or hamstring dominant, you may not want to include too many deadlifts and direct hamstring work if all you seek is a bigger, rounder butt. Too much hamstring work can thicken the hams and interfere with the gluteal fold and achieving gluteal separation from the hams. This is all per Bret Contreras, and from my own experiences training my wife and a number of other women.

Rather than make remarkably unhelpful comments about anal sex or ask for pictures of you in a thong, maybe you can describe your shape and show us a picture of how you want your butt to look? How would you characterize the proportion of your hamstrings to quads? How would you currently describe your butt, and what specific areas (broken into quadrants, upper/middle/lower, inner/outer) of your butt do you want to change, and how? Also, overall goals. Do you plan on competing, if so, in what?[/quote]

I believe I gain muscle fast in my butt and legs pretty quick bc of my muscle memory from playing hockey my whole life. I seek a bigger butt overall. wider and more bubbly. I believe i’ve got a very nice ass right now and most people have told me to leave it and thats its sexy. but i still want to get it bigger lol.

Yes thankyou for actually writing an actual response! lol my hamstrings and quads are slowly but surley developing and getting more lean and starting to see buldges lol. I’m just getting into all this lifting stuff but its def. getting pronounced alot quicker than i thougtht it would. I am fine with my legs and butt, but obviously wanting them to bulk a bit better. I really really want to get a flatter stomach and don’t know what to do to achieve that. I’ll post a couple pics tomorrow of a front view and back view. So id have to say my goal is to lean/tone up my whole body, building my legs and butt bigger and getting my belly toned up and flatter. I don’t plan to compete anytime in the next year. Id like to learn all about the lifestyle of all of this and the lifting and then focus on mastering everything and then maybe think about competing next year. It would be a blast and challenge me to do something like that! Thanks for you help!!

[quote]alexus wrote:
though…

you don’t wanna make the girl version of the boys mistake of focusing on your lower body to the exclusion of your upper body. probably you know this, but sometimes it is worth saying.

chin-ups, bench, rows, presses… they are important, too. shapely shoulders and arms etc.

with respect to the ‘too big’ thing that is a fairly rare combination of genetics and one hell of a lot of hard work. you definitely won’t get freaky big overnight if at all - takes a lot of hard work and food to pull off that look and it certainly doesn’t happen by accident. you can pull in the reins down the track if you choose to.

often people say to grow first and worry about ‘shaping’ later. i mean… muscles can only get bigger or smaller or remain the same. body fat levels can rise and fall. that is about all. i’d just hate to see someone half ass their training (lol) for fear that they will get ‘too big’ if they don’t give it their all. they only progress more slowly because of it.

there is still a lot of controversy over whether women and men should train differently. guess the answer is the same in some respects and different in some respects. still a lot of controversy over whether one should start out with a bodybuilding type of bodypart split program vs starting out trying to progress their strength on the basic lifts (e.g., 5x5 or 5/3/1) if the main aim is to look good naked. guess the most important thing is to get a non-stupid program and work hard.

you might like to start a log. it can be a good way to track your progress over time and get some feedback etc.[/quote]

Yeah I personally like the lifting style to life like a man and focus on certain body parts on certain days. It makes me have more of a plan set out. I love to do the lifts like a man would, it feels so good. Where would I start a log, meaning what section?? And is it a workout or food log?? What am I supposed to ask and say?? Or do I just log what I ate and worked out ath specific day??? Sorry for so many questions… lol Thanks for your input

Welcome! And I really like the Glute Goddess video as well.

As for logging, you might want to go read around some of the logs in Powerful Women and get a feel for what most of us are doing and see if it fits. There are a few women in some of the other forums too. There’s more of a powerlifting/ strength focus with most of the women here. I chose to start here because I wanted to learn the compound lifts, and felt the women over here are more supportive and generally have a healthier perspective than some of the people on the Tnation figure athlete site.

The articles and information here at TNation are superior to the other big sites, like bodybuilding.com in my opinion. Good luck with your lifting!

here ya go, the only post that matters

Back squat (close stance, heel raise, bar high on traps)
Front squat (as above, except bar in front)
RDL/GMs

Activation work: glute bridge, single-leg bridge, bowler squat, x-band walks, side-lying leg raises (abduction) against a wall, clams

Pushing the prowler

Lunges will wreck you. Long-distance lunges, barbell on back. to failure.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

RDL/GMs

Activation work: glute bridge, single-leg bridge, bowler squat, x-band walks, side-lying leg raises (abduction) against a wall, clams

Pushing the prowler

Lunges will wreck you. Long-distance lunges, barbell on back. to failure.[/quote]

Oh yay.
See OP just like I said in your beginners thread… only nice and specific on the squat stance.

And I guess its Jess right? Turn this into your log.

I have had ZERO luck finding any lifting buddies of the female variety IRL. So, the internet it is.

IME, “hip thrust” and “single leg reverse hyper” did it for me. The key part is to SQUEEZE your glutes for at least 2 seconds at the top of both exercises.

you want somethin like this? :wink: SQUEEEEEZE it!

the best program is a non-stupid (don’t worry, people here won’t let you get away with stupid) something that you feel enthusiastic about and really believe in. the great thing about just starting out is that gains come with pretty much any non-stupid thing and the gains really help get you hooked.

there are some different places you could start a log. the general logs. here. think there are other places as well. it will be YOUR log so you can log whatever you like. some people do log their food to help hold themselves accountable and get feedback on that. i think everyone logs their training. maybe not EVERY session (though I try to). take a look around (most of the threads here are logs).

i like it here because i hardly ever see women train seriously and seeing what the women here are capable of inspires me to work harder! not sure why but seeing strong guys often makes me feel demoralized. don’t know what that is about. people here are pretty tolerant of different goals. not all the women here are powerlifters. that being said, think most of the people here take special delight in hitting weight or rep PRs (personal records).

you could make this your log if you like.

Ooo, a hockey player. Had a friend in college who I did speed skating with, she (& her fellow hockey chicks) were rather quite violent. You look so even tempered though but I guess those are the ones you usually have to watch out for :wink: And you must be quite coordinated, I could never do the whole stick to an object thing.

Good luck with the glute quest.

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

RDL/GMs

Pushing the prowler

Lunges will wreck you. Long-distance lunges, barbell on back. to failure.[/quote]

Oh yay.
See OP just like I said in your beginners thread… only nice and specific on the squat stance.

And I guess its Jess right? Turn this into your log.

I have had ZERO luck finding any lifting buddies of the female variety IRL. So, the internet it is.[/quote]

Hey now! Close stance, high bar ain’t the only way to go. A wide stance “powerlifting squat” requires a lot from the posterior chain. And there’s research out there to suggest that wide stance squats recruit the glutes more than narrow.

I can tell you from experience, squatting like that will make your glutes grow. I’ve been training for a meet (so, not in a manner that’s ideal for gaining size) and have still gained size, especially in the upper outer region (like glute medius).

For someone who is just into lifting heavy and looking better nekkid, vary your stance.

And Jess, I think you mentioned wanting a “flatter tummy”. That’s going to be a diet thing.

Hallowed- Female lifting buddies are supposed to exist IRL?!

But on topic.

I train my GF.

She focuses on the main lifts, Squat, Deadlifts (Sumo), and lunges.
I also add split squats and walking lunges to vary the workout.

They only asistance she does are variations of glute kicks.

I vary from stregth sessions (low reps, heavy weight) for some weeks,
and them to some higher rep sessions(moderate weight, moderate reps).

She is not that it lifting so i gotta change things from time to time to keep her on track

Hope it helps!

[quote]jumpman2365 wrote:
IME, “hip thrust” and “single leg reverse hyper” did it for me. The key part is to SQUEEZE your glutes for at least 2 seconds at the top of both exercises.

[/quote]

I do the hit thrusts just with a bar and weights on each side and thrust as far up as i can and hold for about 3 sec. I haven’t done the single leg reverse hyper like that so i’ll have to give it a try. thank you for posting these videos, i love when people post vids because I actually get to see what people are talking about. since i’m new to all of this its kind of like learning a new language too haha so when I’m not sure what someone is talking about a video along with it always puts things into perspective!!

[quote]ThePerfectDrug wrote:
you want somethin like this? :wink: SQUEEEEEZE it![/quote]

I’ll take your word for it, hahaha great butt by the way!

[quote]alexus wrote:
the best program is a non-stupid (don’t worry, people here won’t let you get away with stupid) something that you feel enthusiastic about and really believe in. the great thing about just starting out is that gains come with pretty much any non-stupid thing and the gains really help get you hooked.

there are some different places you could start a log. the general logs. here. think there are other places as well. it will be YOUR log so you can log whatever you like. some people do log their food to help hold themselves accountable and get feedback on that. i think everyone logs their training. maybe not EVERY session (though I try to). take a look around (most of the threads here are logs).

i like it here because i hardly ever see women train seriously and seeing what the women here are capable of inspires me to work harder! not sure why but seeing strong guys often makes me feel demoralized. don’t know what that is about. people here are pretty tolerant of different goals. not all the women here are powerlifters. that being said, think most of the people here take special delight in hitting weight or rep PRs (personal records).

you could make this your log if you like.
[/quote]

Yeah figure athlete site never changes. I first tried to post a thread there and no one ever wrote on it. So i decided to come here. Its nice to have mostly women replies but its also nice to get a guys perspective here n there. Thanks for the guideance!!

[quote]minimaltechno wrote:
Ooo, a hockey player. Had a friend in college who I did speed skating with, she (& her fellow hockey chicks) were rather quite violent. You look so even tempered though but I guess those are the ones you usually have to watch out for :wink: And you must be quite coordinated, I could never do the whole stick to an object thing.

Good luck with the glute quest.[/quote]

Yeah I play on a league with my boyfriend and its all guys besides me. I look very nice and innocent on the outside and you’d never view me as a hockey player, but if you met me in real life you’d see and get what i’m about. My looks deceve ppl bc i’m nothing like I look. lol yeah i’v had lots of practice with the stick and puck. I played 1st grade through high school and now just playing a league here n there!!

[quote]JESGPY wrote:
But on topic.

I train my GF.

She focuses on the main lifts, Squat, Deadlifts (Sumo), and lunges.
I also add split squats and walking lunges to vary the workout.

They only asistance she does are variations of glute kicks.

I vary from stregth sessions (low reps, heavy weight) for some weeks,
and them to some higher rep sessions(moderate weight, moderate reps).

She is not that it lifting so i gotta change things from time to time to keep her on track

Hope it helps![/quote]

Yeah my bf pretty much trains me. I focus on doing the same main lifts: deadlifts whether its romanian or trap bar, box squats, front squats, and every now and then we do split squats. Then on these days with certain lifts we’ll end with kick backs or bungie side walk things lol i’m not sure what they’re called! Thats awesome though that your training her!

[quote]ThePerfectDrug wrote:
you want somethin like this? :wink: SQUEEEEEZE it![/quote]

Oh my god Becky, look at her butt. It is so big…:wink:

[quote]jesskelly9 wrote:

[quote]jumpman2365 wrote:

[/quote]

I do the hit thrusts just with a bar and weights on each side and thrust as far up as i can and hold for about 3 sec. I haven’t done the single leg reverse hyper like that so i’ll have to give it a try. thank you for posting these videos, i love when people post vids because I actually get to see what people are talking about. since i’m new to all of this its kind of like learning a new language too haha so when I’m not sure what someone is talking about a video along with it always puts things into perspective!![/quote]

You’re welcome. If you workout at lifetime, they usually have the reverse hyper. If you don’t, you can still do it on a medicine ball.

^thanks^ … i swear by 5/3/1 glute activation general extra-curricular activities