T Nation

I-Tunes SUCKS

[quote]LUEshi wrote:
Or better yet, download your tunes through a proxy server and never get caught even if you do download thousands of songs.[/quote]

Please explain further.

[quote]Cat Nip wrote:
I was unable to download the iTunes software update because the start up disk on my iBook is full. Guess I am not missing much yet.

Damned laptop! It’s 6 years old and has never had a virus or any hardware or software problems whatsoever.

WTF! That Steve Jobs must be an idiot. [/quote]

No. Its because you have too much crap on it. If your disk is full, then clean out the stuff you don’t need. Or get an external one. Like a USB linked hard drive.

This is really history repeating itself (over and over and over). The RIAA and the big record companies tried to stop the following 4-track tape recorders, then 8-track tape recorders, then cassettes, then CD recorders, then DVD recorders etc. and on ad infinitum. Everytime a new tehnology comes out, they start screaming they will lose all their money, go out of business, pick your threat and type it here _______.

Everytime and it only takes time, they give up and look for a new way to rape artists and consumers. Digital downloads took them by surprise but look in your history book and find all the same arguements for cassettes.
Steve Jobs and Apple is actually on your side. By negotiating this deal, the big guys are giving in.

By the next year or so DRM will be dead. Just like it died for software (anyone old enough to remember the dongle), just like it died for all the earlier technologies. The Apple deal is the first step in a dying breath of the same old beast.

[quote]unbending wrote:
Cat Nip wrote:
I was unable to download the iTunes software update because the start up disk on my iBook is full. Guess I am not missing much yet.

Damned laptop! It’s 6 years old and has never had a virus or any hardware or software problems whatsoever.

WTF! That Steve Jobs must be an idiot.

No. Its because you have too much crap on it. If your disk is full, then clean out the stuff you don’t need. Or get an external one. Like a USB linked hard drive.[/quote]

No kidding, I was joking. 6 years and no problems is a GOOD THING. The hard drive is only 20 gig, I have a 40 gig iPod which I have disc enabled as an external drive.

My point was, Apple products are amazing.

On a similar note of new technology, how many people actually realize that analog broadcast TV is going to completely stop in the year 2009?

If you don’t have a digital capable TV, you are out of luck. I find it amazing that there has not been a big deal made over this. I think most people who will be affected have no clue it is coming, ie: old folks using rabbit ears. Also, a lot of landfills are going to fill up with obsolete TV’s.

On a related note, as far as shopping for music goes, i.e. trying to find good new stuff that you’ll like but haven’t been familiarized with yet, the I-Tunes Store SUUUCKS.

If you look under the “Rock” heading on the main page it’ll give you the 8 or 10 latest releases that they’re promoting, all of which blow chunks, and then your only option seems to be to search under “Rock,” which is just a freaking alphabetical search.

They’ve got to design a smarter, more user-friendly system for people to find new music that they’ll like.

And their program director – whoever decides what goes on that front page of the I-Tunes Store – REALLY sucks donkey balls.

[quote]Cat Nip wrote:
On a similar note of new technology, how many people actually realize that analog broadcast TV is going to completely stop in the year 2009?

If you don’t have a digital capable TV, you are out of luck. I find it amazing that there has not been a big deal made over this. I think most people who will be affected have no clue it is coming, ie: old folks using rabbit ears. Also, a lot of landfills are going to fill up with obsolete TV’s. [/quote]

This pisses me off but it is my understanding that it is really not a concern for those with satellite dishes or cable as they will continue to provide an analog signal.

If you want to use your analog TV you could purchase a digital converter.

But it still pisses me off.

[quote]Damici wrote:
On a related note, as far as shopping for music goes, i.e. trying to find good new stuff that you’ll like but haven’t been familiarized with yet, the I-Tunes Store SUUUCKS. If you look under the “Rock” heading on the main page it’ll give you the 8 or 10 latest releases that they’re promoting, all of which blow chunks, and then your only options seems to be to search under “Rock,” which is just a freaking alphabetical search.

They’ve got to design a smarter, more user-friendly system for people to find new music that they’ll like.

And their program director – whoever decides what goes on that front page of the I-Tunes Store – REALLY sucks donkey balls.[/quote]

Most of the content that pops up on the main pages is there because that is what people are, or have been, downloading/requesting the most. So you don’t like popular music, that’s fine.

As for finding new music. I never have any issues with it, because I understand that it is about FINDING new music. No one can do the work for you. But, if you’d like some tips. Do a search for your favorite band, then check out the ‘listeners also bought’ area, and click on the first name you have never heard of, listen to it, then see what other people bought from there. Also pay attention to what labels these bands are on, and also see if there is a commonality between featured artists on various songs.

But, that’s just one method, at the end of the day, there is no unified way to discover new music, Apple already has a system called “Just for you” that suggests new music based on music you have already bought. It is pretty comprehensive and can generate a wide number of suggestions, but despite that, a machine still can’t tell me what I will or won’t like, I still have to put in the leg work to find new music, that will never change.

My only experience with iTunes left me with mixed feelings. $9.99 for a 12 track album that would have cost me $30+ as an import is definitely a deal. While I didn’t like their proprietary audio format, I burnt a CD and converted it to a 320kbps MP3 … which is what I wanted originally. The application is big, long to install, and adds QuickTime, which I never wanted.

Ah, whatever. I got what I wanted and uninstalled the whole thing. Overall, I’d use iTunes again.

[quote]MrChill wrote:
I burnt a CD and converted it to a 320kbps MP3 … which is what I wanted originally.[/quote]

Converting it to a higher bitrate than it was originally won’t make it sound better. You can’t add sound that isn’t there to begin with.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Cat Nip wrote:

If you don’t have a digital capable TV, you are out of luck. I find it amazing that there has not been a big deal made over this. I think most people who will be affected have no clue it is coming, ie: old folks using rabbit ears. Also, a lot of landfills are going to fill up with obsolete TV’s.

This pisses me off but it is my understanding that it is really not a concern for those with satellite dishes or cable as they will continue to provide an analog signal.

But it still pisses me off.[/quote]

i’ve heard the gov’t is doing it because they want to make a national alert system with the analog channels.

they will also be heavily regulating tv prices during the change and will be issuing vouchers for people to buy new digital TVs. of course this is a all a while a way, so we’ll see what capitol hill and their brilliance comes up with when the time comes.

I never liked iTunes. It’s shit. I have a cheap 5 giga mp3 player that I can use directly with drag and drop in Windows Explorer with no bullshit hazzle. If I want to buy songs I rip albums. Fuck the rest.

[quote]RoadWarrior wrote:

Steve Jobs and Apple is actually on your side. By negotiating this deal, the big guys are giving in.

[/quote]

by purposely not allowing the consumer to view the choices available between .99 and $1.29 jobs is trying to make people think that music should cost $1.29 song. this is bullshit and just as bad as the best buy phony website scam.

further the $1.29 tracks are still crappy sounding music with no physical ownership, no production, no salesman, no warehousing, no shipping, and no retail overhead and it comes with your personal info embedded. this should cost even more than what we’ve aleady been buying ?

how is this a great deal for me ? how is steve jobs " on my side "?

[quote]

By the next year or so DRM will be dead. Just like it died for software (anyone old enough to remember the dongle), just like it died for all the earlier technologies. The Apple deal is the first step in a dying breath of the same old beast.[/quote]

jobs’ marketing rhetoric is slaying a paper tiger. drm shouldn’t exist in the first place. and now he’s a hero for “getting rid of it” by embedding your name and email and now the price of enjoying music is looking over your shoulder ? talk about jumping out of the frying pan into the fire…jobs’ innovating days are over. now he’s making money the way most big-timers do: betting that most people can’t tell shit from shinola.

[quote]OneEye wrote:
MrChill wrote:
I burnt a CD and converted it to a 320kbps MP3 … which is what I wanted originally.

Converting it to a higher bitrate than it was originally won’t make it sound better. You can’t add sound that isn’t there to begin with.[/quote]

Agreed. iTunes to CD to 320kbps was the “best lossless” solution that was compatible with my MP3 player.

Which brings up the question … how do songs downloaded from iTunes sound when compared to the original CDs?

[quote]MrChill wrote:

Which brings up the question … how do songs downloaded from iTunes sound when compared to the original CDs?[/quote]

it really depends how they were mastered. there are plenty of cd’s that don’t sound good either becasue they are treated as commodities or the artist isn’t that good in the first place.

cd’s that were produced with care and with sound reproduction as a priority sound awesome and mp3 or I-tunes plus do them no justice whatever. less and less are quality cd’s being made though. more and of the cheaper kinds. it’s basically like fast food; someday people will think that consuming shit is normal. maybe that day is already here.

I download most of my music and albums on torrents. I’d feel guilty, but the fact is… I’m a music fan… and the bands I love, I pay alot of money to see in concert, and pay through the nose for merchandise. I’m not sure but I think the bands make more off of touring and merchandise than they do off the albums that the record companies rape.

[quote]Cat Nip wrote:
My point was, Apple products are amazing. [/quote]

You need to shop around more. Apple is not the epitome of perfection. They make good products, but there are better.

[quote]OneEye wrote:
Converting it to a higher bitrate than it was originally won’t make it sound better. You can’t add sound that isn’t there to begin with.[/quote]

Actually it will make it worse.

Understanding Compression:

An MP3 is like a package that is wrapped. Like a Christmas present. When you burn it to a CD you are unwrapping it and dumping all the contents out. You spread them out all over the CD. You can’t make it sound better since the contents are not there, the MP3 will sound just as good as the CD you burnt from it.

HOWEVER!

If you take all the content spread out over the CD and try to repackage them, you’re going to end up destroying some.

MP3 compression is very damaging to sound content. (decompression does nothing though). So you take the already compressed sound and recompress it again. Higher bitrate, but it still damages it, because that’s how lossy compression works. MP3 is lossy compression which is why it destroys sound.

End of Lesson.

Your 320kbs double compressed MP3 sounds better because of the placebo effect.

[quote]texasguy wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Cat Nip wrote:

But it still pisses me off.

i’ve heard the gov’t is doing it because they want to make a national alert system with the analog channels.

they will also be heavily regulating tv prices during the change and will be issuing vouchers for people to buy new digital TVs. of course this is a all a while a way, so we’ll see what capitol hill and their brilliance comes up with when the time comes.
[/quote]

You won’t have to buy a new television if you don’t want to. You will just have to get an analog to digital converter box.

I hate Itunes because it takes FOREVER just to upload one song.