I-Tunes SUCKS

anyone else notice how the “new and improved” i-tunes plus will only offer you the more expensive $1.29 tracks with no access to the .99 cent ones ? and if you’re set to .99 cent tracks you can’t view the other ones ? nice.

anyone else notice how the 30% more expensive “hi-res” tracks don’t sound any better than the regular ones ?

anyone else notice how on the net there’s no physical production, inventory, shipping, wholesale or retail middleman and purchasing an album this is more expensive and you own NOTHING except sound which is the probably the worst ever?

anyone else notice that the new and improved and 30% more expensive drm-less tracks also have your name and e-mail embedded in them ? you know so that now the more expensive privilege of enjoying music comes with a monkey watching over your shoulder ? purchasing music from you will cost me peace of mind ? f-off.

thank you apple for eviscerating the reason people are so into music in the first place- freedom - and providing us with less and less product while charging more and more.

dude, just download Limewire and get your tunes for free. just don’t be a dumbass and download thousands of songs and then get sued.

Or better yet, download your tunes through a proxy server and never get caught even if you do download thousands of songs.

What’s funny is that Apple is not the villain in this story. They are actually taking steps to de-DRM’ify the content, which so far was almost unheard of. They would drop DRM at once if they didn’t depend on the big sharks whose sole focus is to perpetuate DRM for as long as possible.

The villain here is the RIAA and their likes. Don’t jump to conclusions just yet, this story is still unfolding.

[quote]florin wrote:
What’s funny is that Apple is not the villain in this story.[/quote]

They’re still assholes no less.

use albumbase

its the best way to d load music

first post BTW

[quote]florin wrote:
What’s funny is that Apple is not the villain in this story. They are actually taking steps to de-DRM’ify the content, which so far was almost unheard of. They would drop DRM at once if they didn’t depend on the big sharks whose sole focus is to perpetuate DRM for as long as possible.

The villain here is the RIAA and their likes. Don’t jump to conclusions just yet, this story is still unfolding.[/quote]

dude what are you talking about ? companies should be charging LESS for shitty, less usable product but somehow apple is trying to help them charge MORE !

you give apple credit for trying to "deDRM’ify which is “almost unheard of” ??? what about every frickn’ piece of vinyl, tape, and cd sold before 2005 ? drm has only been on discs for like 2 years and now it’s some kind of FEATURE you need to PAY extra for to get music without it ? how fucking twisted is that ?

and now i’m supposed to believe that apple is some kind of hero for battling the big bad (and soon to be out of business for de-valuing their own product and relentlessly shitting on their customers) record companies ?

apple is now shitting on it’s own customers by REMOVING our ability to compare and choose on the i-tunes store and my only conclusion is that i used to believe steve jobs and that crap he spewed about being on the side of the music fan and fighting to keep prices down etc. etc. but the fact remains every year we get less and less quality of product, choice, and usability for more and more money.

actions speak louder than words and the actions of steve jobs are all too clear while his words are as empty as a 30 gb ipod @ $20 an album. and now apple is helping THEM compile lists for the riaa by embedding your name and email into tracks… WHAT THE FUCK ?!

APPLE = THEM.

[quote]obatiger11 wrote:
dude, just download Limewire and get your tunes for free. just don’t be a dumbass and download thousands of songs and then get sued. [/quote]

i do.

but this free ride will not last forever, nor do i want it to. i want music to have value and i want to pay for it,and i want the artist to get paid for it. i’d also like music to sound as good as it did ten years ago. mp3’s sound like shit. their ok for the ipod but not for any quality sound system. in fact the better system you play them on the worse they sound.

i WANT to pay for music but i will not be shamelessly ripped off by these fucking crooks. what do they do now ? their product sounds like crap, they no longer manufacture or distribute ANYTHING and they want me to pay more and are threatening to sue me @ the same time ? this is why everyone will continue to steal, because to pay these jokers seems like an even bigger crime.

80% of the stuff I download I get sick of within a week so I don’t feel bad pirating it.
If on the other hand I hear a song or album I really like I will go out and actually buy the album to support the artist.
I aint paying for crap.

Download with no remorse.

[quote]Kiwigeezer wrote:
80% of the stuff I download I get sick of within a week so I don’t feel bad pirating it.
If on the other hand I hear a song or album I really like I will go out and actually buy the album to support the artist.
I aint paying for crap.[/quote]

Completely Agree.

[quote]swivel wrote:
obatiger11 wrote:
dude, just download Limewire and get your tunes for free. just don’t be a dumbass and download thousands of songs and then get sued.

i do.

but this free ride will not last forever, nor do i want it to. i want music to have value and i want to pay for it,and i want the artist to get paid for it. i’d also like music to sound as good as it did ten years ago. mp3’s sound like shit. their ok for the ipod but not for any quality sound system. in fact the better system you play them on the worse they sound.

i WANT to pay for music but i will not be shamelessly ripped off by these fucking crooks. what do they do now ? their product sounds like crap, they no longer manufacture or distribute ANYTHING and they want me to pay more and are threatening to sue me @ the same time ? this is why everyone will continue to steal, because to pay these jokers seems like an even bigger crime.[/quote]

Swivs,

I feel your pain, man. I am really not interested in just downloading music via Limewire and such (as I used to do a few years ago) and have made a conscious choice to actually pay for it.

I do sort of agree with the other poster that it is more the RIAA and DRM that is the issue than Apple, but I hate even using iTunes to play music on my computer or sync up with my iPod (which is why I now use the pretty fantastic Media Monkey).

What amazes me is how CD’s (despite not being a new technology and something that gets cheaper to manufacturer with each passing year) continue to go up in price. At that point, you are just paying for straight up greed. I cannot imagine paying $15.99 for a CD only to find out that half the songs are completely horrible.

If there is one thing I am grateful for iTunes and such for, it’s that there is at least a push for the ability to buy individual songs.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
What amazes me is how CD’s (despite not being a new technology and something that gets cheaper to manufacturer with each passing year) continue to go up in price. At that point, you are just paying for straight up greed. I cannot imagine paying $15.99 for a CD only to find out that half the songs are completely horrible.
[/quote]

Not only that, but paying for a full cd when the shitty artist has only 10 tracks which amount to a WHOLE 25 minutes of music.

[quote]Kuz wrote:

Swivs,

I feel your pain, man. I am really not interested in just downloading music via Limewire and such (as I used to do a few years ago) and have made a conscious choice to actually pay for it.

I do sort of agree with the other poster that it is more the RIAA and DRM that is the issue than Apple, but I hate even using iTunes to play music on my computer or sync up with my iPod (which is why I now use the pretty fantastic Media Monkey).

If there is one thing I am grateful for iTunes and such for, it’s that there is at least a push for the ability to buy individual songs.[/quote]

i like limewire because i can find alot of stuff that i want to check out. the stuff that i like i want to own and will look for the disc, or even vinyl, because of the sound quality which is usually but not always a ton better, especially for a an old skool listener like me who owns a system capable of moving some air.

apple is genius for giving us the ipod which is a ton of freedom. but now they are complicit in removing those freedoms and trying to get us to pay tens of thousands of dollars to use them. we could argue about who’s driving these prices,it’s clearly the dying labels trying to hang on to a market that’s long gone… but apple is still in on it.

how else do you explain the fact that they WON’T show you both price points ?

everyone on earth believes that the new i-tunes plus offers you the CHOICE of purchasing the more expensive tracks, but when you get there you find they offer you ONLY the more expensive tracks which don’t sound any better and STILL come with drm in the form of enbedding your personal information, which is even worse !!

i understand that people, especially in my peer group, like apple because they make some great stuff that makes life better and this translates to liking them on an emotional level. but really… look @ what’s happening and you’ll see our “friends” @ apple are showing us some very shady bait and switch marketing along with some downright cheney-esque double-speak.

[quote]Kiwigeezer wrote:
I aint paying for crap.[/quote]

The best way to support the artist is to go to their concerts. I understand that sometimes that isn’t possible, but that’s where they make the most money.

They really don’t make as much as one would think off of record sales. The damn RIAA gets too much money from the artist.

itunes is on my shitlist now because two of the last four movies i paid for did not download, yet i still got charged for them. i have tried to download them several times and i get :(err-69) message saying the download could not be completed.

Swivs,

If there is one thing I am grateful for iTunes and such for, it’s that there is at least a push for the ability to buy individual songs.[/quote]

Kuz,

You might want to download this song.
I think you might enjoy it.

When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high
And don’t be afraid of the dark.
At the end of the storm there’s a golden sky
And the sweet, silver song of a lark.
Walk on through the wind, walk on through the rain,
Though your dreams be tossed and blown.
Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart,
And you’ll never walk alone.
You’ll never walk alone.
Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart,
And you’ll never walk alone.
You’ll ne-ever walk alone.

I was unable to download the iTunes software update because the start up disk on my iBook is full. Guess I am not missing much yet.

Damned laptop! It’s 6 years old and has never had a virus or any hardware or software problems whatsoever.

WTF! That Steve Jobs must be an idiot.

[quote]obatiger11 wrote:
dude, just download Limewire and get your tunes for free. just don’t be a dumbass and download thousands of songs and then get sued. [/quote]

bearshare is pretty sweet too. you can hide them and download as much as you want. or store them on a flash drive, erase what you have stored and download new ones.

apple don’t make a lot of money off itunes, they make there money back through the crazy amounts of ipods they sell with the service.

i really detest itunes even though i have an ipod, i hate the fact i have to use itunes because its a shitty program.

if you get bored of a tune in a week its not really the artists fault, maybe the type of music your buying?

its a shame the “album” has died, i can think of many cds i’ve bought where i only liked a couple of tunes and through listning to the whole cd countless times i’ve got into the other tunes.

cds getting cheaper every year? you have to remember the cuts that are involved in the industry (distributers, shops etc) unless your selling 10,000+ and haven’t shelled out a ton on PR your probably going to be making some green. (but without a ton of PR you own’t sell cds).

i’m not a big fan of mp3s myself, i grew up on records and cds and run a record shop selling mainly vinyl which sells steady. i like to have a product in my hand with artwork, 1’s and 0’s on my hard drive are pretty worthless and throw away, which is what the next generation of kids growing in this world will see music as.