T Nation

I Tried Bikram Yoga

Two nights ago I ended up going to a Bikram yoga class in San Jose, CA:

Definitely more difficult than I expected. I also was looking for a kind of calming/relaxing experience… nope. A very strict (for reason) instructor constantly corrects and gives instructions from the first all the way to the last of the 90-minute session. I felt like the yoga postures themselves were not very difficult, but rather the temperature. It felt like high school football camp at UNLV in the Summer without any of the hard work… just the scorching “please don’t black out” heat. Personally I didn’t feel at all more loose or relaxed than traditional yoga.

Anyone else try this yet as a “recovery tool”? Any better experiences? (perhaps it was just my class, or even just me for that matter)

BULLSHIT. You were looking for hot yoga chicks! Did you find any?

[quote]medog11 wrote:
I also was looking for a kind of calming/relaxing experience… n
[/quote]

[quote]Damici wrote:

medog11 wrote:

[/quote]

I’m guilty of that. Unfortunately in my first and last yoga class experience I was surrounded by fat, middle aged/elderly women in spandex. It was not so hot.

Well, all the classes are supposed to be the same. Which is silly because one of the whole points of yoga is to progress - whatever that means to you. Not to mention doing the same exact thing can lead to injury, won’t make you any stronger or flexible, and is incredibly boring.

I’ve enjoyed all other forms of yoga, especially hot yoga not done in the Bikram style.

PS - there are always hot yoga chicks.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Damici wrote:

medog11 wrote:

I’m guilty of that. Unfortunately in my first and last yoga class experience I was surrounded by fat, middle aged/elderly women in spandex. It was not so hot. [/quote]

I guess it helps to live in a major city with lots of colleges/universities…

was it pretty fast paced or pretty relaxed? I know the power yoga shit can almost be a workout if you were a pussy. I prefer the heated relaxing version. I sure it has a dope name that i don’t know.

I prefer meditation and flexibility over their version of “strengthening” myself. I always feel mad flexible after yoga if I train beforehand. Sometimes I warm up a bit before the class just to make sure im ready for “stretching” as it were. I find that if I don’t then I don’t feel like I get the flexibility work done as well.

My yoga place is full of chicks in what I could essentially call a bikini now that I think about it. Small volleyball type shorts and a sports bra? that’s essentially a bikini right?

Sometimes I sweat so much they come up and ask me if im going to be ok. LOLrus!

-chris

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
Damici wrote:

medog11 wrote:

I’m guilty of that. Unfortunately in my first and last yoga class experience I was surrounded by fat, middle aged/elderly women in spandex. It was not so hot.

I guess it helps to live in a major city with lots of colleges/universities…[/quote]

I would imagine UofM yoga chicks are a lot hotter than UWEC yoga chicks. I is jealous.

Both of which would be leagues better than U of Michigan yoga chicks . . .

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
HoratioSandoval wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
Damici wrote:

medog11 wrote:

I guess it helps to live in a major city with lots of colleges/universities…

I would imagine UofM yoga chicks are a lot hotter than UWEC yoga chicks. I is jealous.

[/quote]

I go twice a week, have been for the past 3 months. To be honest, I haven’t gotten too much “better” at the postures, it’s a slow progression for me, I notice some improvement here and there, especially on the 1 leg balance poses.

But I do feel much more loose after each class and I personally like the heat and overall I find it quite relaxing. I’ve tried a few different types of yoga since going to bikram, and find the others pretty easy. Tweaked my back today doing rack pulls and am looking forward to yoga tomorrow. I’ve made the mistake a few times of going on a training day, and was basically useless.

I don’t care much for the flowery shit they try and preach, and some of the “health” aspects (see flowery shit again) is total bullshit. The studio I go to is PACKED with hot women.

It’s pretty easy to meet girls there as everyone is comfortable with each other seeing as how you are half naked, sweating together for 90mins. I’m not going to lie…I go 50% for the stretching and 50% to meet girls;) Plus, they’re aren’t many fit young guys that go to my studio, so that helps my odds.

It’s generally a fit, female instructor, but once it was this pretty big young guy, probably like 6’2 230lbs teaching. I walked into the lobby and we just started to laugh…we both knew why each other was there. After the class he’s like “oh buddy, the training school was madness.”

Do I think it’s helping me much in the gym? Probably not, more of a relaxing/mental thing with me.

Is it a nice break from the gym? Yes.

Actually I brought my girlfriend… and that was a nice enough site to see glistening in the mirror next to me.

It seemed moderately fast paced with many postures, not held for very long. This equated to in my case a far from relaxing experience. I’m going to go again 2moro at 5am to give it another chance though.

5am? There is no possible way I could to that at 5am.

I agree that it seems somewhat fast the first few times. Took me probably 5 classes or so until I felt comfortable to keep up. Give it a few more classes before you decide to stick with it or not.