T Nation

I Think I've Got My Routine

I know I've probably posted this before but I think I've got it this time. I want some criticism on my routine. I've decided on an upper lower body split and pyramid style (10-8-6-4-2). I think I'm going to do 50% max on the set of 10, 60% on the 8 and so on.

My stats are:
18/M
BF-unknown (Upper 20's somewhere I would bet)
Weight-210

Workout 1: Upper
Flat Bench 1x10,8,6,4,2
Incline Bench 1x6-70%-80% max
Shrugs 1x10,8,6,4,2
Seated Curl 1x10,8,6,4,2
Bent Over DB Rows 3x8
Tricep Extension 1x10,8,6,4,2
Back Extension 3x10

Workout 2: Lower
Back Squat 1x10,8,6,4,2
Deadlift 3x5
Calf Raise 3x10
Leg Curl 3x10
Leg Extension 3x10

Like I said, any and all criticism is welcome. If more info is needed please just ask.

If you train 4x week, I suggest you to split things a bit more. You didn’t post your training goal, but I can safely assume you’re trying to gain mass (correct me if I’m wrong). Regarding rep/set, it’s probably better to do an all-out set after a couple of progressively heavier set; here’s what I mean:

Workout 1: Upper
Flat Bench 1x10,8,6 (try to get as many reps as possible, increase weight once you get 8 solid reps on your last set)
Bent Over DB Rows (same as above)
Tricep Extension 1x10,8,6 (if your elbows can stand heavy extensions; if not, Close Grip Bench Press)
Seated Curl 1x10,8,6 (I’d go with Standing Barbell Curl, if wrists don’t complain…or EZ bar if available)

Workout 2: Lower
Back Squat 1x10,8,6
Leg Extension 3x10 (I’d do Front squat, if your back can stand it)
Leg Curl 3x10
A core (abs) exercise
Staight-leg calf extension 3-4x6-8

Workout 3: Upper
Chins (or Lat pull down…) 10,8,6
Barbell Shoulder press 10,8,6
Hammer curl 3x10
Rope triceps push-down

Workout 4: Lower
Deadlift 1x8, 8, 6, (don’t do high-reps DL if your form is not very solid)
Romanian deadlift 3x8-10
Abs
Seated (bent leg) calf extension 3x15-20

Take a day off after each lower body workout; if you really want to do shrugs, do them on DL day (2-3 set of 10-12), and use 3x10 back extensions as a warm up for lower body day (go light, just to “awake” spinal erectors).

I don’t see a pyramid.

Oh, maybe I misunderstood. I thought pyramid was like what I had? 10,8,6,4,2. Could you explain it then? Thanks for the advice. But do you mean like do 1x10,8,6 and then do one to failure? And I want mass and strength. But strength is a bit more important if I had to choose.

[quote]swirly wrote:
But do you mean like do 1x10,8,6 and then do one to failure? And I want mass and strength. But strength is a bit more important if I had to choose.[/quote]

After a light set or two (warm-up), you can go either with 1x10, 1x8, increase the weight and try to do as many reps as possible, (I wrote 6 as a baseline) or 1x10, 1x8, 1x6 (a nice, challenging load, not to failure), add a little weight and do as many reps as possible on this fourth set. Try and see what suits you the best.

In both cases, add weight on your last set when you get 8 solid reps (start from this baseline, then experiment by yourself), and adjust previous sets accordingly.

I can safely bet that at your early training age, strength and mass gains can go nicely together :slight_smile:

Awesome. Could you explain a pyramid to me too?

A pyramid is for example, Bench 200 x 10, 225 x 8, 250 x 6, 225 x 8, 200 x 10. So, you basically do the highest weight in the third set and on the 4th set do the same as you did on the second and for the 5th do the same as you did on the first. I used to do them this way, but have since gone to another method. I made good progress with them when I did do them, and may go back to them for a change.

This looks fucking terrible.

Do:
M:
Hammys+lower back
-Deadlift variation
-GHR or leg curl
-45’ back extention

T:
Chest+arms
-Flat bench
-incline dumbell bench
-barbell curls
-skull crushers

Th:
Quads+abs
high bar squat
leg extention
hanging leg raises

F:
Back+shoulders
Dumbell overhead press
Lat pulldowns
kroc rows
seated DB power cleans (youtube these)

Why is what I have so bad?

[quote]swirly wrote:
Why is what I have so bad?[/quote]

You may not realize it but you’re intensity will suffer greatly doing that many different lifts. The pyramid scheme sucks. Y0u’re doing WAY too many work sets. I made the same errors when I first started out.

I’ve been seeing some results from what I’ve been doing. But I’ll give yours a try considering you know way more than I do lol.

[quote]swirly wrote:
I’ve been seeing some results from what I’ve been doing. But I’ll give yours a try considering you know way more than I do lol.[/quote]

If you’re making gains at all at least you’re lifting hard enough. Give it a go if you want, or save it until you stop gaining.

For a beginner, 10 reps at 50% of 1rm is way too light.

My best advice to you is less sets, and more quality per set. Rather then do a bunch of sets with weight that isnt enough to really do much, why not warm up, and then do 2-3 quality sets. Keep the reps the same, but raise the weight. So you might bench 135 for 10 on set one. Then do 140 for 10 on set two, and then 145 for 6 on set 3. Then next time start with 140 on the first set, and repeat the process.

Quality over quantity.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
swirly wrote:
Why is what I have so bad?

You may not realize it but you’re intensity will suffer greatly doing that many different lifts. The pyramid scheme sucks. Y0u’re doing WAY too many work sets. I made the same errors when I first started out.[/quote]

X2