T Nation

I Think I Tore My Quad

Hey fellas,not the best circumstances to post on this forum for the first time,but like i said i think i tore my quad doing leg presses. I heard my left quad pop on my last rep but it does’nt hurt at all just feels tighter than my right quad.

I have never injured myself lifting so i dont know if in deed i tore it. Has anyone had a similar experience? I appreciate all responses.

[quote]lu79 wrote:
Hey fellas,not the best circumstances to post on this forum for the first time,but like i said i think i tore my quad doing leg presses. I heard my left quad pop on my last rep but it does’nt hurt at all just feels tighter than my right quad.

I have never injured myself lifting so i dont know if in deed i tore it. Has anyone had a similar experience? I appreciate all responses. [/quote]

Im thinking if you tore your quad it would hurt like hell bruise and swell up.

You probably just strained it.

As n3wb surmised, if you’d torn it even partially, you’d more than likely have a spectacular hematoma, be very colorful all the way to the soles of your feet, be quite swollen, and be largely immobile with pain.

You couldn’t walk and it would hurt to sit. Your kneecap would be misaligned if the tear was large enough. You’d be miserable.

Keep ice on it if you still feel tight. Be gentle with it until you regain confidence. But I wouldn’t worry much about a tear.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
Im thinking if you tore your quad it would hurt like hell bruise and swell up.You probably just strained it.[/quote]

When I read the title to this post, my first thought literally was: “If you think you tore your quad, you didn’t.”

[quote]sdspeedracer wrote:
As n3wb surmised, if you’d torn it even partially, you’d more than likely have a spectacular hematoma, be very colorful all the way to the soles of your feet, be quite swollen, and be largely immobile with pain.

You couldn’t walk and it would hurt to sit. Your kneecap would be misaligned if the tear was large enough. You’d be miserable.

Keep ice on it if you still feel tight. Be gentle with it until you regain confidence. But I wouldn’t worry much about a tear.[/quote]

Thats exactly what my Accounting prof said it feels like… he wheeled in one day abotu 3 weeks ago saying… I tore my quad. I was really surprised because it msut have hurt like hell… he said he can’t walk… or sit… or well anything. oh and “Vicodin doesn’t do shit when you tear your quad!” as he says.

You thinking tear anything. You’ll know if you tore something, because you will feel way more then just one leg tighter then the other.

You feel you need medical advice…so you start a thread on the internet? Does anyone see a doctor about their health concerns anymore? Do real T-Men think health insurance is for pussies?

Thanks for the replies fellas,yeah i dont think i tore it but it still feels tight just gonna rest it for a bit. I was really disappointed when it happend i would hate to get an injury just when i’am starting to see some gains.

Not necessarily true. A girl I know that played D1 volleyball tore her pec without ever knowing it. She simply compensated with her delt and kept on going through life until a massage therapist noticed that her right pectoral was completely atrophied.

Go to a doctor hombre.

I scheduled an appointment next week with my doc.My fiance is a nurse and she says it could be a level 1 strain which is a minor tear.I just hate going to the doctor!

its probably just a strain at worst…the regular docs orders (ice (first few days atleast), advil, rest for 10 days would probably have you covered w/ some Light stretching the last half)

i’ve had a tonne of injuries, but the only time i actually tore my quad, my knee was the size of a mellon w/ a balled up muscle that i could actually flex (and a noticably shrunken right quad above it

that being said, my chest/shoulder was not so noticeably, and got kinda complicated

i guess it never hurts to check, and its always better than missing an injury, at the least let it rest and recover fully, even if you dont get it checked out until further symptoms, or you could regret it