T Nation

I Think I Have Low Testosterone

I’ve lost a bunch of musclemass and I feel awful to the point of actually being referred to a psychiatrist for evaluation of ADD.

I get medication to ameliorate mood swings, but I can’t stop thinking that I may actually be able to drop the meds if I was put on TRT.

Type the lab results with ranges.

Hard to see.

1 Like

A person could easily be diagnosed with ADD when the cause is low testosterone. Wherever you are located, doctors are likely inept to deal with sex hormone deficiencies.

Your testosterone is at a levels (176 ng/dL) seen in those with one foot in the grave! Those are very close to the levels I had when I was diagnosed with low testosterone. In the US the endocrine society defines low testosterone under 300 ng/dL, you’re at 176 after converting to US units. The experts agree the value to be much higher (440-500) where men start to experience low testosterone.

You SHBG is low and you may need multiple smaller injections per week, enanthate is the prefered option if you can get it…

A psychiatrist isn’t going to be able to help you and will most likely prescribe drugs that are known to lower testosterone and overtime damage your natural production even further. This is why I’m on TRT in the first place, these mind altering drugs screw with your hormones.

Those medication you are taking for mood problems are masking the symptoms, you need to treat what is causing the symptoms which is low testosterone, TRT will eliminate the need for these drugs.

Take this time to educate yourself because your doctors won’t be, then you will be able to vet the doctors and know right away if your current doctor is wasting your time.

Testosteron
Value: 6,14 nmol/L
Tester: KBA - Vejle
Test ranges: 8,40 - 30,0
The result in regards to the normal range: The result is outside the normal range.

SHBG
Value: 0,15
Test place: KBA - Vejle
Test ranges: 0,14 - 1,1
The result in regards to the normal range: The result is normal.

Sexualhormonbindende globulin;P
Value: 40,6 nmol/L
Test place: KBA - Vejle
Test ranges: 13,0 - 55,0
The result in regards to the normal range: The result is normal.

I’m overweight though. I have a good portion of musclemass in my thighs and ankles, but the rest is diminishing.

If you are more than 20 percent body fat you may need to inject more frequently as estrogen can be a challenge to control for obese men, something I know firsthand.

It’s why I recommend very small doses everyday or EOD especially when SHBG is lower.

I am sitting at more than 20% body fat.

I take 75 mg seroquel every night or I won’t be able to sleep. Recently I’ve begun reading up on the merits of THC, CBN, THCV, CBD and CBG for sleep and may try some, if it’s legal.

Losing weight is next to impossible. I track everything I eat using Samsung Health, but I still find myself stalling and even gaining weight if I eat till I’m satiated. Something seems amiss and I’m worried that I’m damaging my body and brain.

In Denmark one is not simply put on TRT.

Seroquel is known to make people obese, had a GF years ago and she gain tremendous weight in a short amount of time and slept 20 hours per day. I lost interest in her pretty quickly.

Seroquel will cancel out the effects TRT, surely there’s another options for medications. Seroquel also decreases SHBG, low SHBG men are typically obese.

The cause of your low testosterone is known, Seroquel can cause cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis and low testosterone for starters.

The results of our study demonstrate that in patients with acute psychotic episode treatment with antipsychotics lead to endocrine abnormalities, such as decrease in SHBG concentrations. Women are more vulnerable to side effects. However, severity of psychosis negatively correlates with SHBG concentrations in men.

Significant sexual dysfunction and hypogonadism are common in patients taking antipsychotics

Conclusions
Our findings confirm that clinically significant sexual dysfunction and hypogonadism are common in patients taking antipsychotics and indicate that prolactin and gonadal hormone levels are unlikely to be major etiological factors. The high rates of hypogonadism suggest that patients are at increased risk of cardiovascular disease, and osteoporosis. Clinicians are advised to enquire about sexual dysfunction, and monitor prolactin and gonadal hormone levels in patients taking antipsychotics. Future research, ideally randomising drug naïve patients to treatment with antipsychotics showing different dopaminergic, cholinergic and adrenergic activity profiles, is needed to further tease apart the pharmacological, psychological and social etiological factors and guide treatment choice for the large proportion of patients taking antipsychotics who show sexual dysfunction and low sex hormone levels.

Get off this medication!

They put you on Seroquel for mood swings? I’ve worked in mental health for 10 years now and I haven’t seen it prescribed for that, maybe depression but rarely. Were you having racing thoughts or something?

@systemlord why is this? Because of the endocrine disruption noted in the info posted? Would an SSRI also negate the effects of TRT? Asking because I’m on citalopram for the anxiety my TRT withdrawal gave me.

Yes citalopram is known to decrease testosterone levels.

Do you mean in men with who are naturally producing their own T? It shouldn’t interfere with TRT, right?

I do know Defy is against SSRIs for the most part. A few of them said they have their place but they find them generally unnecessary, especially with hormone replacement.

SSRIs will interfere with TRT, SSRIs are mind altering drugs than can mess with the liver, adrenals and other systems and maybe not at first, but over time. Taking prescription drugs have consequences do to all of the side effects, some sides not showing up for years that aren’t reversible.

It’s better to be natural than to risk long term consequences down the road.

1 Like

"Taking prescription drugs have consequences do to all of the side effects, some sides not showing up for years that aren’t reversible.

It’s better to be natural than to risk long term consequences down the road."

I quit coffee this saturday and immediately noticed that I could sleep better among many benefits.

" They put you on Seroquel for mood swings? I’ve worked in mental health for 10 years now and I haven’t seen it prescribed for that, maybe depression but rarely. Were you having racing thoughts or something?"
Valproate for mood swings and seroquel as needed and 1-3 each night for sleep. Yeah I have racing thoughts and I think, also too much physical energy.

I was recommended exercise last year, but it became ever more difficult to adhere to an exercise regimen. I bicycled 23 km, walked 13 and went to a 1h30m BJJ class in the late afternoon early evening and still couldn’t sleep.

I can’t help but wonder if I can exchange seroquel and valproate for TRT and ameliorate the ADD symptoms that I experience.

Seroquel, being an antipsychotic, is known to reduce the connectivity of learning and attention in the brain over time.

" Antipsychotics can make you dumber. So can a lot of other medications. But with antipsychotics it isn’t the normal sort of drug-induced dumbness – feeling tired, or distracted, or mentally sluggish, say. It’s more qualitative than that. It’s like your capacity for abstract thought is reduced.

And one of the consequences of this is that you may lose the ability to notice that you have lost anything. You agree to give the new med a try, and you start taking it, and then when you see your prescriber again you don’t report any problems because you’ve lost the ability to form thoughts like “my cognition has changed a lot recently, and the change coincided with the introduction of this new med.”"

In case I get diagnosed with autism and ADD/ADHD then it may get even worse. I’m not saying that I am autistic, but what if I have just a few symptoms of asperger and they determine that I have a mildly autistic brain structure - I already have a very weak form of synaesthesia and I think in pictures.

" There are also cases of antipsychotics causing autistic catatonia, in which an autistic person, upon treatment with antipsychotics, suddenly loses speech and motor skills. See examples: personal narrative, case study, case study.

So, a natural question is: does this happen often? Do antipsychotics actually cause cognitive problems?"

I Googled citalopram and found this:

Citalopram the cause of heartstop among Danes

Should I wait and see what my doctor says in our appointment the 22-01-2019? Might he order another blood test and see if my testosterone levels are still low?

I’m giving serious thought to administering a small amount of testosterone enanthate and then have blood work done, because I’m fed up with these doctors. They’re hopeless. Yeah it’s a great idea to give this 27 year old with the testosterone levels of a 61 year old man medicine against mood swings and let’s also give him sleeping pills which will further worsen cognitive impairment.

Hi @revelation,

I’m sorry about your mood issues. There is no shame it it. You can grow beyond it. I’m proof of that. I won’t tell my whole story now but I had some problems with depression in my early 20s and my life got GREAT at 27 right about the time I stopped taking any drugs for depression.

Seroquel is like an elephant tranquilizer. It’s a strong anticholinergic too which has been found to be bad for your brain long term. You really, really, should try to get off of that if you can with the help of your physician.

Are you BP1? If you are BP1 then you can really get in trouble without medication. I am guessing someone has told you that you are BP2. Is that your diagnosis? That would explain the anti-depressant and the mood stabilizers.

Hi. Thanks bro. It is shameful, but I’ll have to convince myself otherwise as the stress is what sets me of.

I’m happy that you conquered it and mastered yourself.

Seroquel for sleep and valproate to dampen aggression, though officially it’s for mood swings. I was bullied in college which set something off in my brain. Since then I’ve struggled with outbursts of rage. It’s so weird. Probably BP1, but I haven’t checked it.

But quitting coffee has done wonders. Take a look at this: https://books.google.dk/books?id=RcNpltbGtdIC&pg=PA108&lpg=PA108&dq=caffeine+aggression&source=bl&ots=VN129KlAaT&sig=fuD6pT6HkKGl7yZWJ_yjqD0oi9w&hl=da&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjy74-D7OvfAhULtYsKHVvRCG4Q6AEwCXoECAMQAQ#v=onepage&q=caffeine%20aggression&f=false

The anticholinergic component is what I think is screwing my memory over.

I take 75 mg every night and have been trying to come off of it, but it doesn’t work as well if I go to sleep earlier.

@systemlord have you ever experienced high estrogen. Mine is at 78 and i’m having alot of physical and mental symptoms. I stopped my protocol which was 100mg 2xweek. It has been one week since last injection and not sure what to do. Im three weeks in and thinking this wasn’t a good idea to start

Huyguuggggyu hhhh

That’s way too much, more like 50mg twice weekly. Daily injections is going to be the better protocol do to estrogen sides, 10mg should be a good start.