I Squat Too Slow

Hey guys, I got a question
It takes about 2-3 seconds for me to squat about my 5rm. I’m not sure how much time it is, but it just feels really slow lifting this weight. What can I do to improve my lift speed? Does anyone have a program or a technique? Thanks.

I talk about this EXACT thing in my new off-season training manual:

Basically, you need more work for rate of force development and reactive ability. In other words, train with lighter weights but focus on moving the loads really fast (that’s the Cliff’s Notes version).

Thanks
Does anyone happen to know a program for this type of improvement?

I don’t want to take away from Eric’s aforementioned product, but I also think a good idea would be to read up on the dynamic effort method over at Elite Fitness and West Side Barbell Club. If you’re slow, you need to work on getting fast. Conversely, if you’re fast and weak, doing more max effort work will probably benefit you.

Jumping onto stuff is good too.

Take it for what it’s worth, from a big slow guy.

-Conor

[quote]conorh wrote:
I don’t want to take away from Eric’s aforementioned product, but I also think a good idea would be to read up on the dynamic effort method over at Elite Fitness and West Side Barbell Club. If you’re slow, you need to work on getting fast. Conversely, if you’re fast and weak, doing more max effort work will probably benefit you.

Jumping onto stuff is good too.

Take it for what it’s worth, from a big slow guy.

-Conor[/quote]

what do you think EC meant by
“train with lighter loads but focus on moving them fast”

but seriously read about the dynamic effort method here:

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_133per

Dynamic Dynamic Dynamic!!!
Week one :4-5 sets X 8-10 reps at 40%max
Week two: 5-6 sets X 6-8 reps at 40-50% max
Week three 6-8 sets X 6 reps at 55-60% max

EXERCISES: Squat,Front squat, Squat Jump, Verticle jump(stay with reps 0f 10-12), Squat Jumps, Jumps onto pylo boxes.

Pick a few exercises and work them into your routine using a dynamic scheme, try to make them on a day apart from your heavy days.

Let us know how it works!!!
These Principles will also work with bench, clean, snatch, deadlift… (change movements of course to ones fitting lift.)
Dastang

This question is terribly worded.

All you guys telling him to do dynamic work don’t even know if he means his descent, ascent, or both are slow. If his form sucks and he has nobody to coach him, dynamic work will likely make the problem even worse.

What part of the lift is slow for you?

Typically, fast down equals fast up.

In other words, assuming you are tight, if you are descending very slowly and basically doing a pause squat I could understand a 5 RM feeling miserable.

On the converse, if you are descending very rapidly but are loose as hell, you are going to be terribly out of position the majority of the time and grind out most of your reps, assuming you are hitting reasonable depth.

Form may be a huge factor.

I need more information. Obviously, video would be ideal.

Drop your bar weight 10%.

Focus on descending faster until you are right above parallel.Knees over your toes and weight on outside of your foot.

“Drop” into and “pop” out of the hole, driving the bar upward with your traps, not by pushing your feet through the floor.

Practice this on every rep and every set.

Add weight when you feel faster.

Fast is a skill.Gotta practice it.

Speed squats.

Don’t overthink things.

STU