I Saw a Fun Looking Exercise

[quote]rock27 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
How the hell do you lie flat on the ground under a barbell? How skinny do you have to be to pull that off?

You don’t physically crawl under the bar!
you lie down with the barbell at your head, reach back, grab it and pull-it over till your in the floor press position.

[/quote]

That must be really light weight to do a pull over with it. And the purpose of this is…? To do leg raises?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
rock27 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
How the hell do you lie flat on the ground under a barbell? How skinny do you have to be to pull that off?

you lie down with the barbell at your head, reach back, grab it and pull-it over till your in the floor press position.

That must be really light weight to do a pull over with it. And the purpose of this is…? To do leg raises? [/quote]

You can imagine my reaction when one of the above posters honestly explained to me what that exercise works and how it does it.
:wink:

No offense guys, but it was good for a laugh.

[quote]rock27 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Mondy wrote:
It’s an exercise in the 300 workout.

Enough said. Don’t do it.

That’s a bit of a retarded thing to say, because it is in the 300 workout…they also use pull-ups in the 300 workout, maybe i should drop those too??[/quote]

No, it’s not. It’s good advice. For one, the pullups that they do in the 300 workout are generally kipping pullups, which I think are crap. More importantly, however, is that “The 300 Workout” is not a bodybuilding workout, but this is supposed to be a bodybuilding forum. Also, I still remember dealing with people for whom 300 was the new fight club, and I wasn’t left with a favorable impression.

There’s a guy at my gym who does those all the damn time…he’s looked the same for the 2years I’ve been at my gym.

rock27 wrote:
Professor X wrote:

That must be really light weight to do a pull over with it. And the purpose of this is…? To do leg raises? [/quote]

Most of the people I’ve seen doing this WERE skinny enough to fit under the bar.

rock27 wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Ya, it’s light enough allright, bout 80K, but the point of the movement isn’t really too use huge weight. The weight is simply there to force you to stabilise yourself.
I never said it was the king of fuckin excercises. As long as i nobody goes and dedicates a huge amount of time doing these whats the problem?

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Professor X wrote:
rock27 wrote:
Professor X wrote:

That must be really light weight to do a pull over with it. And the purpose of this is…? To do leg raises?

You can imagine my reaction when one of the above posters honestly explained to me what that exercise works and how it does it.
:wink:

No offense guys, but it was good for a laugh.
[/quote]

Ok, nice to see you’re easily amused buddy.

[quote]Yossarian wrote:
rock27 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Mondy wrote:
It’s an exercise in the 300 workout.

Enough said. Don’t do it.

That’s a bit of a retarded thing to say, because it is in the 300 workout…they also use pull-ups in the 300 workout, maybe i should drop those too??

No, it’s not. It’s good advice. For one, the pullups that they do in the 300 workout are generally kipping pullups, which I think are crap. More importantly, however, is that “The 300 Workout” is not a bodybuilding workout, but this is supposed to be a bodybuilding forum. Also, I still remember dealing with people for whom 300 was the new fight club, and I wasn’t left with a favorable impression.[/quote]

Ok, I never described the “300 workout” as a bodybuilding workout. But just because a certain excercise is used in a certain program doesn’t mean it’s a shit excercise.
That’s the simple point I’m making.

[quote]josh86 wrote:
There’s a guy at my gym who does those all the damn time…he’s looked the same for the 2years I’ve been at my gym. [/quote]

There’s a guy at my gym, who does nothin but bench presses, and he’s been a mirror image of himself now for quite a while…what’s your point?

[quote]Yossarian wrote:
Professor X wrote:
rock27 wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Most of the people I’ve seen doing this WERE skinny enough to fit under the bar.
[/quote]

Fair enough, but that’s a generalisation. I really don’t see what the point is of knocking one excercise just because it’s not the most common excercise…?

[quote]rock27 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Professor X wrote:
rock27 wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Fair enough, but that’s a generalisation. I really don’t see what the point is of knocking one excercise just because it’s not the most common excercise…?[/quote]

Maybe you should ask yourself why it isn’t the most common exercise and why bigger and stronger lifters are NOT doing it.

You know, if I walk into the gym, I am not going to be copying the people who have made the least progress.

Why do some of you insist on doing that?

Why would I do this exercise when there are several better movements to get the job done?

[quote]rock27 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
rock27 wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Ya, it’s light enough allright, bout 80K, but the point of the movement isn’t really too use huge weight. The weight is simply there to force you to stabilise yourself.
I never said it was the king of fuckin excercises. As long as i nobody goes and dedicates a huge amount of time doing these whats the problem?[/quote]

Part of the problem is that time is limited so why do something that has a small benefit?

I can stabilize myself just fine doing leg raises without holding a barbell over my head and increasing the risk of injury.

I mean, shit, if you want to do them, more power to you. Just don’t be surprised when people with more experience avoid it. They have good reason to do so.

rock27 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
rock27 wrote:
Professor X wrote:

I never said it was the king of fuckin excercises. As long as i nobody goes and dedicates a huge amount of time doing these whats the problem?

Part of the problem is that time is limited so why do something that has a small benefit?

I can stabilize myself just fine doing leg raises without holding a barbell over my head and increasing the risk of injury.

I mean, shit, if you want to do them, more power to you. Just don’t be surprised when people with more experience avoid it. They have good reason to do so.[/quote]

They don’t have any fun though.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Professor X wrote:
rock27 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
rock27 wrote:
Professor X wrote:

I mean, shit, if you want to do them, more power to you. Just don’t be surprised when people with more experience avoid it. They have good reason to do so.

They don’t have any fun though.[/quote]

That’s what women are there for, not weights.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Professor X wrote:
rock27 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
rock27 wrote:
Professor X wrote:

They don’t have any fun though.[/quote]

LOL. If someone is in the gym for “fun” they need to stay out of the way.

They are pretty much in the same level as the middle aged women who were literally sitting on every leg machine last Sunday and gossiping with no pins in the weight stacks.

Is this what you are talking about?

rock27 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Professor X wrote:
rock27 wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Fair enough, but that’s a generalisation. I really don’t see what the point is of knocking one excercise just because it’s not the most common excercise…?

Maybe you should ask yourself why it isn’t the most common exercise and why bigger and stronger lifters are NOT doing it.

You know, if I walk into the gym, I am not going to be copying the people who have made the least progress.

Why do some of you insist on doing that?

Why would I do this exercise when there are several better movements to get the job done?[/quote]

I know of only one other person in my gym who does this movement my training partner. I am not copying anybody, regardless of how much progress they are making it. I generally set my own workouts, with the help of internet forums, articles such as this one.
I don’t want to focus on this excercise too much because this isn’t the point i’m trying to make but I just tried this movement out about two weeks ago, liked it especially the way just requires a lot of effort in order to keep the weight stabilised and also to the leg raising motion.

Yes i agree, however what similar movements would you suggest?

Airtruth wrote:
Professor X wrote:
rock27 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
rock27 wrote:
Professor X wrote:

They don’t have any fun though.

LOL. If someone is in the gym for “fun” they need to stay out of the way.

They are pretty much in the same level as the middle aged women who were literally sitting on every leg machine last Sunday and gossiping with no pins in the weight stacks.

[/quote]

Agreed

rock27 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
rock27 wrote:
Professor X wrote:

I mean, shit, if you want to do them, more power to you. Just don’t be surprised when people with more experience avoid it. They have good reason to do so.[/quote]

Ok, good point. In my opinion the small benefit which i get in return for doing this motion accurately reflects the amount of time spent on said motion, i.e. roughly 10 minutes every couple of weeks.

I’ve got no problem if people avoid any motion, that’s entirely their choice however I really don’t see the point of jumping down someone’s throat once they start talking about something slightly unorthodox.
I will always listen to somebody’s opinion, especially if the person clearly knows what they’re talking about.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Is this what you are talking about?

Floor Wipers from 300 Movie Workout - YouTube [/quote]

Kind of, however usually try to keep legs a little straighter, and don’t move from side to side so fast. I try to do at a much slower tempo.