I Remember When

-at 130lbs I thought I had the sickest abs on the planet (500 crunches a day)
-I hit my first bodyweight bench - 60k! lol
-I thought a fried egg sandwich was plenty for a post-workout meal
-I thought my 110k deadlift made the the baddest motherfucker in history!
-a 100k bench (2 plates) was my LIFETIME GOAL

anyone else?

I thought;

1 scoop of protein would make me a mass monster
Arnold was natty
I could get enough arm stimulus from compound movements

I felt like a god after benching 220, I got buried with a 300lb full squat after squatting stupidly high for months (ego didn’t take this well)

I remember asking my sister (a PT) what muscles the lat pull down worked and what carbs were!!

Also remember finding T-Nation for the first time, reading pretty much every article ever published and realising I’d been doing practically everything wrong

And I remember when I used to wear trackies under my jeans because I was so ashamed of how skinny my legs were

[quote]lemony2j wrote:
And I remember when I used to wear trackies under my jeans because I was so ashamed of how skinny my legs were[/quote]

LOL!

That’s the best one so far!

hahaha yes

from 2007 - 2012 I trained/dieted on and off and made close to 0 progress. Last week I found my old training log - this picture was in the word doc, captioned: “I have a bit more detail than that but the lighting was horrible”

I remember when:

I thought Charles Poliquin was god.
I thought pro bodybuilding was actually a career and that pros were financially well-off.
I thought Flex Wheeler owned the mansion he posed in front of for Flex magazine.
I was somehow above co-workers and ordinary people because I went to a gym and ate food.
I thought gurus were infallible people and didn’t lie half the time.
I bought Dianabol from a 'roid dealer at 18 years old, took one tablet, got all scared, and sold the rest.
I introduced my friends to the same guy so they could buy clenbuterol to trim their sloppy guts down for Jones Beach.
I thought Nasser and Dorian were gods and larger than life.
I stood outside the Night of Champions at 19 years old and shook Shawn Ray’s hand, got a flick, and just stood there staring in awe as Dennis Newman and Chris Cormier strolled away with two fitness goddesses, and thought to myself, “How can I get this life one day?”
I bumped into Dorian and Steve Weinberger at Roosevelt Field Mall at 19 years old and they were rude to me, meanwhile I was the only schmuck in the whole place who knew who they were.
I shed a tear… TWICE… after realizing Nasser died!

I remember my first Night of Champions (now NY Pro) in 1998!

I was der! Were you der?

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

I thought pro bodybuilding was actually a career and that pros were financially well-off.
[/quote]
still coming to terms with that

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[/quote]
still coming to terms with that[/quote]

Google “bodybuilding took house” to read of a certain pro who lost his home just months after the NY Pro last year (I was there and he did great) for an example. MW and GB are rabble rousing, tabloid style forums but much of what’s posted there is true (and sad).

I remember when I thought some lifters shaved their heads because they liked the look… Not because they are losing hair from the ‘supplements’ .

… Unless I am wrong in saying that :).

That the stuff locked up in gnc was steroids

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[/quote]

Google “bodybuilding took house” to read of a certain pro who lost his home just months after the NY Pro last year (I was there and he did great) for an example. MW and GB are rabble rousing, tabloid style forums but much of what’s posted there is true (and sad). [/quote]

wow, thanks for the share was a good read

I remember when I ballooned up to a meal shy of 300 lbs, and blaming it on the fish oil I was taking.

It wasn’t from the mega meal from Panda Express, or the $20 drive thru meal at McDonalds, or the large pizza from pizza hut downed with a 2 liter of Pepsi.

Nope, it was ALL from the fish oil FML.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[/quote]

Google “bodybuilding took house” to read of a certain pro who lost his home just months after the NY Pro last year (I was there and he did great) for an example. MW and GB are rabble rousing, tabloid style forums but much of what’s posted there is true (and sad). [/quote]

wow, thanks for the share was a good read[/quote]

If you’re not squeamish, I’d also suggest googling some other pros or ex-pros, if interested. Haha!

I thought I wasn’t that fat last summer.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
I thought I wasn’t that fat last summer. [/quote]

Hahaha I was the same, “Oh I dont have a belly so I cant be holding that much fat can I?”

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

Did Shelby intentionally get you that bulked up or did you follow your own intuition?

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

Did Shelby intentionally get you that bulked up or did you follow your own intuition? [/quote]

I continued on my own with his same plan. I was still eating clean…just too much and ignoring the obvious. The ironic thing is, I ate MUCH less “clean” when I hit sub 10% bodyfat. Skinnycow ice cream sandwiches, honey chex cereal…to name a few of my “carb sources”…lol.

I remember :
225lb bench press - felt godlike…
315lb bench press - felt awesome…
405lb bench press - felt like i had more in me…
475lb bench press - last week…pissed i missed 485…how things change.

hitting my first 600lb pull …felt godlike…havent been able to do it since.

also i remember weighing…240lbs, and feeling weak and tiny.