T Nation

I Read Too Much Information

My main goal is to gain nice healthy weight… a lot of it. I’m currently about 125 pounds and 5’11, I know… super skinny.

My goal is to get to around 180 pounds hopefully before the end of the year, but I’m not quite sure how fast I can make gains.

So I read the bulking and starting articles and I made a list of good bulking foods. Tell me what you think please!

Oatmeal(100 percent natural rolled)
Fat free cottage cheese
Natural Peanut Butter
Lots of fruits and veggies.
Whole grain foods, rice, pasta, bread
Yogurt
Tuna, Salmon
Dried Fruit
Chicken, Beef, Turkey, Steak

There is probably quite a bit more I can add so feel free to add more please! Also someones food log for a day or so would help me greatly! (What food log do you use? Is fitday a good one?)

I am also confused about macro nutrients. How much should I be getting in each meal, especially to be gaining weight (but not become a fat ass while doing so).

My next question has to do with training. I read somewhere that multi-joint exercises are best for gaining weight while training. Things like pull-ups, dips, dead lifts and squats. Anyone know a good routine for my goals?

My final question has to do with supplements. Which ones should I take and when? There seems to be so much in the Store section of this website I have no idea whats going on and what is used for what.

Sorry for all the questions it would help me more to get other people help me also. Thanks!

less carbs, more fat

You are not going to put on 55lbs of lean mass in 6months. You can however expect with proper diet and training to put on around 20-25lbs of lean mass in the next 6 months(the newbie effect) It will take you at least 2 years to get to 180.

I noticed you don’t have milk in your foods, your skinny drink it. A lot of it. Eggs too, at least 4 every morning.

Measure your food, write down calories, fat, carbs, and protein. I recommend 175g protein a day for a guy your weight.

Training, do starting strength.

Supplements, whey, Surge, fish oil, flax oil. Don’t replace meals with this stuff.

Easy ways to increase calories for bulking.
Peanut butter, extra virgin olive oil, milk, water before bed and eat while you piss.

Eat a fruit or veggie with every meal, a healthy body with its nutritional basis covered grows better then one that only has protein shakes.

[quote]MtbKid wrote:
You are not going to put on 55lbs of lean mass in 6months. You can however expect with proper diet and training to put on around 20-25lbs of lean mass in the next 6 months(the newbie effect) It will take you at least 2 years to get to 180.
[/quote]

I disagree on the 2 years bit. If he were of normal or average weight trying to get into the low to mid 200’s, then yes.

But being undernourish and underweight, with the correct eating plan he should be able to add around 50lbs by this time next year.

Agree.

Whey, fish oil and flax - yes. No need for Surge at this stage - just lots of food as you’ve mentioned.

Whole milk, not 2% or skim.

Yes, the big compound lifts will put mass on you. There are certain muscles that need a little extra attention (abs, calves, biceps). MrPopular will be along shortly to extol the virtues of isolation work and flame us all for agreeing with compound lifting. Wait for it…wait for it…

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

Yes, the big compound lifts will put mass on you. There are certain muscles that need a little extra attention (abs, calves, biceps). MrPopular will be along shortly to extol the virtues of isolation work and flame us all for agreeing with compound lifting. Wait for it…wait for it…[/quote]

overstatement. He just realizes isolation is necesary for aesthetic balence. And helps when developing strength.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

Yes, the big compound lifts will put mass on you. There are certain muscles that need a little extra attention (abs, calves, biceps). MrPopular will be along shortly to extol the virtues of isolation work and flame us all for agreeing with compound lifting. Wait for it…wait for it…[/quote]

^lol^ agreed.

But JayPierce is right about the whole milk, and is hinting at something bigger - get around 30% of your calories from fats (the good kind, in almonds, pecans, walnuts, whole milk, etc.); this will help stimulate the production of testosterone, thus increasing your anabolism. And be careful with your carbs - I tried to “bulk” a few months ago eating alot of them and just got fat, although this varies based on the individual. If you want to gain clean weight, read Thibs’s articles on carb cycling and “ideal” calories. Also, try to find your sweet spot, the caloric point where you’re gaining mass while gaining little (or no)fat. Take fish oil, and remember, building muscle takes a LOONG time.

I was just pokin’ at him.

Thanks guys sounds good! Only problem is, Starting strength looks like a pretty nice routine… but my gym does not have a squatting rack, power rack. Will the Smith machine work or is that dumb? Anything else I can do?

This is the only gym closest to me (Can’t drive) and it is still a 20 minute walk… I will be moving to the city soon so I will be able to find better gyms there.

Should I be doing any cardio at all? Or just eat and train and no cardio? Thanks!

Power clean and Front squat.

[quote]SW.DL wrote:
Thanks guys sounds good! Only problem is, Starting strength looks like a pretty nice routine… but my gym does not have a squatting rack, power rack. Will the Smith machine work or is that dumb? Anything else I can do?

This is the only gym closest to me (Can’t drive) and it is still a 20 minute walk… I will be moving to the city soon so I will be able to find better gyms there.

Should I be doing any cardio at all? Or just eat and train and no cardio? Thanks![/quote]

Lay the BB across the dip bars and squat. Use your imagination, I’m sure you can think of ways to get it done.

[quote]SW.DL wrote:

Should I be doing any cardio at all? Or just eat and train and no cardio? Thanks![/quote]

Depends, you’ll have to adjust your food intake upwards if you do cardio. A longer light walk could be great as a form of active recovery.

Also: eat full fat everything. None of this low fat cottage cheese BS. I’ve been trying to eat a whole jar of natty PB/week to help get some more calories in…

Sounds good! Thanks guys!

One last question that I have.

Whats the best thing to eat after you workout? Like a protein shake? Or just water? What nutrients are best for that.

carbs and protein in a 2:1 ratio

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
less carbs, more fat[/quote]

You sure about that?

Hes a 125 fucking lbs. He wants to be 180 by the end of the year.

He doesnt need “less” of anything. He needs to eat a lot of everything.

OP, you might want to PM Detazathoth…he was in your shoes not so long ago and is where you want to be currently.