T Nation

I Pulled My Traps

Ugh, I was doing upright rows which I never do. I don’t know what I did wrong and I was having such a great workout. Right at the end, I just… did something wrong I guess and now I can hardly move my neck without pain.

It’s all the way down on the right side, right up to my skull. I took some Aleves an hour ago (though I finished working out at 4) just to numb the pain.

Honestly, I have no idea what to do to speed up recovery other then rest it. This is the first time I’ve ever hurt myself at the gym in 2 years. I hate sounding like a total n00b but, any advice?

In future avoid upright rows - I cringe whenever I see someone doing those or rolling shoulders during shrugs.

Other than that, I would take some time off and get some rest as you said - maybe take some epsom salt baths.

If it’s still very painfull after a few days, go see a doctor about it.

That’s all I got.

[quote]rsg wrote:
In future avoid upright rows - I cringe whenever I see someone doing those or rolling shoulders during shrugs.

Other than that, I would take some time off and get some rest as you said - maybe take some epsom salt baths.

That’s all I got.[/quote]

I have no clue what intrigued me to do it, whatever it was. I should have said no. Now I’m in an epicly bad mood. I couldn’t move on to hit my triceps after either. Live and learn

ibuprofen.

That’s gotta be one of the worst muscles to pull. Good luck with your recovery.

[quote]Freaky Styley wrote:
That’s gotta be one of the worst muscles to pull. Good luck with your recovery.[/quote]

Yeah it hurts quite a bit. Though right now, compared to 6 hours ago it’s much better already. For the most part, I’m just ultra stiff. I think I might finish off my training tomorrow that I was supposed to do today and hit my triceps, but just stick to isolation movements. I should be fine.

you can stretch your traps in one way by pulling your head down towards an airmpit. there are other stretches too. fuck upright rows.

[quote]Rattler wrote:
Freaky Styley wrote:

Yeah it hurts quite a bit. Though right now, compared to 6 hours ago it’s much better already. For the most part, I’m just ultra stiff. I think I might finish off my training tomorrow that I was supposed to do today and hit my triceps, but just stick to isolation movements. I should be fine.[/quote]

I wouldn’t - you can’t really do anything without using your traps.

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
Rattler wrote:
Freaky Styley wrote:

Yeah it hurts quite a bit. Though right now, compared to 6 hours ago it’s much better already. For the most part, I’m just ultra stiff. I think I might finish off my training tomorrow that I was supposed to do today and hit my triceps, but just stick to isolation movements. I should be fine.

I wouldn’t - you can’t really do anything without using your traps.
[/quote]

Fine, then tomorrow I’m gonna drink my face off and forget about the fact my local public transportation company is on strike and I can’t do anything.
Sweet.

You pinched your occipital nerve. Take vicodin and rest.

I’ve done something similar, felt like an extreme tweak in the neck area. It will be more sore the day after, but should go away quickly (my pain was gone mid-second day). It is very painful and really sucks, but if it last longer than a few days see a doc.

Ice it for 15 minutes at a time as many times a day as you can. Like 15 minutes out of every hour. Ice aids in recovery very well.

Maybe you rotated your neck while working. Has happened to me before.

So, I went to the gym today anyways and did my arms. I did some pullups and chinups with pretty much no pain/resistance in my neck. I actually feel better now that I moved around a bit though it’s still very stiff.

Upright rows are still an excellent “yoke” builder. If they cause you grief, avoid them by all means, but most people prefer to go higher reps (to avoid pulling something) and use the rope attachment on a cable stack for this exercise (strain on wrists).

If it continues over time i’d say it is best to go get some acupuncture and then a 30min massage by a large male masseuse, in that order. The reason for a large male masseuse is because their fingers are fatter and their hands are stronger therefore making better masseuses. If you are going to pay for something then you might as well get the most bang for your buck.

All in all the whole acu plus massage might cost 70-100 but it is the key to relieving nerve pinch’s like that right away. I use to tough trough that and chronic cramping muscle but now I hit the table right away and blow the cash i dont spend on booze or smokes.

I like to out 10 bucks a day away and pretend I smoke. then I spend that cash on massage and shit. Makes you heaps stronger. until i started doing it i didn’t really know how to contract my muscles but now it seems like they have way more “kapow.”

-chris

[quote]rsg wrote:

That’s all I got.[/quote]

Yea i was shrugging (185lb) while rolling my shoulders… >_>
3rd rep, heard a pop, ripped my traps. Same pain, whenever i moved my neck. Hurt like a bitch.

OP: I took 2 weeks off, healed nicely. After a week or so i could have gone back into the gym, but I didnt want to take the risk. It’ll heal, dont worry.