I Officially Am the Worst

What about when you are fatigued from benching first and your squat and deadlift don’t make as much progress? Is that how the program is written?

Yes the point is you don’t get as fatigued from upper body, and the program is written like that

^I mostly agree with this, with one small caveat that I’ll hit below…

…and I’ll bet my bottom dollar that you, in your daily attempt to bust your nut (did you get there?) by coming on here and ripping into someone, forgot that OP is already well beyond the description you just laid out (a 470 squat is a teensy bit past someone that “5 years later is still bitching about not breaking a 315 squat” although my math is a little fuzzy sometimes, so feel free to check my calculations there). Instead of defaulting to your grouchy-old-man routine, maybe try to remember which thread you’re posting in and who asked the original question?

While we do see plenty of those guys here in these forums (and I’ve even issued similar lectures to those people of the “Why start an advice thread if you’re just going to argue with anyone stronger than you that actually offers advice?” variety), it’s worth remembering that OP in this particular thread is not a 145 pound kid asking how to get his squat past two and a quarter, then citing his latest article showing that 5/3/1 doesn’t progress quickly enough for him. This kid has competed in a real meet and put up numbers that are quite good for a teen that’s been lifting for 2 years. I think a teen lifter with a 1200 total can probably be removed from the “beginner who just needs to shut up and eat” category. Now, does he need to get a new attitude? Yeah, this life-or-death with every workout thing could use an adjustment. But I think we can safely rule out that he’s lazy or skipping workouts or meals; nobody gets to a 470 squat as a teen by accident.

4 Likes

Cool. I can’t wait to watch him at the world championships. :champagne:

ActivitiesGuy
September 30 |

flipcollar:
I’m gonna be honest with you man, at your age and size, literally ANY proven program should yield results. And even winging it in the gym most of the time should get the job done. If you’re at a point where you can’t make the slightest progress without being on ‘the perfect program’, then you’ve got a real problem on your hands. Don’t think of any program as ‘the one’

^I mostly agree with this, with one small caveat that I’ll hit below…

jbackos:
You know what sucks? I’ll bet my bottom dollar that you’re like most people who think they work hard but don’t, then don’t listen when you offer help, and 5 years later they’re still bitching about not breaking a 315 squat. If you’re a beginner and eating and sleeping and not making progress you’re either dense or fucking lazy.

…and I’ll bet my bottom dollar that you, in your daily attempt to bust your nut (did you get there?) by coming on here and ripping into someone, forgot that OP is already well beyond the description you just laid out (a 470 squat is a teensy bit past someone that “5 years later is still bitching about not breaking a 315 squat” although my math is a little fuzzy sometimes, so feel free to check my calculations there). Instead of defaulting to your grouchy-old-man routine, maybe try to remember which thread you’re posting in and who asked the original question?

While we do see plenty of those guys here in these forums (and I’ve even issued similar lectures to those people of the “Why start an advice thread if you’re just going to argue with anyone stronger than you that actually offers advice?” variety), it’s worth remembering that OP in this particular thread is not a 145 pound kid asking how to get his squat past two and a quarter, then citing his latest article showing that 5/3/1 doesn’t progress quickly enough for him. This kid has competed in a real meet and put up numbers that are quite good for a teen that’s been lifting for 2 years. I think a teen lifter with a 1200 total can probably be removed from the “beginner who just needs to shut up and eat” category. Now, does he need to get a new attitude? Yeah, this life-or-death with every workout thing could use an adjustment. But I think we can safely rule out that he’s lazy or skipping workouts or meals; nobody gets to a 470 squat as a teen by accident.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

jbackos
September 29 |

With all respect, are you dense or just stubborn? Multiple people here have told you to pick something and run with it. I’ve been in and out of gyms for 35 years and don’t know nearly everything. Damnit, Ed Coan even says he is still learning. This shit never ends. You know what sucks? I’ll bet my…
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

$240 a month?? thats ridiculous for a kid your age on anything gym related.

-you in college/finishing high school? in work?

What is your focus outside the gym

2 Likes

College right now, and I’m going to be working a part-time job soon. But I will always find time for training.

Check you The Strength Athlete, Bryce Lewis’ operation. They have a few different options but you can get a customized training cycle for $200.

I just checked it out, it’s awesome that they have technique check and programs without the coaching. Everything is at a good price also. I might just do the program for my meet in June. Thanks for that! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just made my training log thread, thank you for helping me here!

But here’s the thing, you may not have a diagnosed condition, but to go into a depressive state, assuming you aren’t being melodramatic, all because “f**k i only got my top set of 5 for 3 today!!!” is not a health frame of mind to be in. It’s training, it takesmental discipline and grit and all that jazz to be sure, but getting depressed when you leave a shitty session is not mental discipline and toughness, it’s an unhealthy mind…or do you get depressed when they don’t have your favorite donut at the donut shop, or when you ask a girl out and she says no?

Beyond that, it sounds like you both A. have a shitty coach and B. aren’t as seasoned and knowledgeable as you seem to think. As stated above, any coach that doesn’t program deloads and wants you to drop a weightclass for a low end meet, with mediocre numbers that will only get worse as you drop weight, has no business taking money and giving you a “professionally built program”. Next, you seem to think that you know what you’re doing because you saw progression on some intermediate/advanced programs? What kind of progression? Until you hit elite numbers, you will almost always see results from most steady, linear programs. 5/3/1 for example isn’t meant to be ran for 6 months to get another 50 lbs. on your lifts, it’s meant to stay on for a couple years and put on 5 lbs here, 10 lbs there that will likely stay on your PR barring something setting you back. To say you see better progress from that than a coach is saying “yep, im seeing what 99% of people who use it see” and also saying you have a shitty coach. Learn your shit, and be more humble, strong lifter after strong lifter on here has tried to give you nuggets of advice and you basically said “nah you guys are wrong, maybe i should go run texas method or something instead.”

3 Likes