I Need to Get Out of the City

My family has a couple houses in an area like the one you described in Lake Almanor, CA. We have a boat, a few wakeboards, tubes, kneeboards, and a jet ski. It’s a great place to spend time, but the thing is that there’s nowhere in a secluded, mountainous area where you’re going to have a whole lot of job opportunities that pay enough to afford that kind of shit. All the money’s in the city. Most of my family live in Silicon Valley and pull in nice fat paychecks in order to afford the vacation homes and the toys and whatnot.

By the way, if you think wakeboarding is intense, try No Rules Tubing. Get on a tube, lying on top of it, and tell the driver to have absolutely no mercy whatsoever. A crash at 25mph while catching a ton of air is nothing compared to flipping head over heels after the boat whipped you across its wake at 35-40mph. Plus the whiplash effect means that while the boat is in as tight a turn it can handle at 35mph, you’re traveling across the wake behind it at about 65mph. I’ve lost several bathing suits, a tooth, toenails and consciousness this way.

Wise Guy have you thought about moving up north? Petosky, Gaylord, any of those areas? Not sure how the job market is up there, but damn sure is a nice place to be.

And you’d still be in Michigan. Folks who aren’t from there don’t realize how great of a state it is because they only consider Detroit, but the whole rest of the state is pretty much rural and awesome. I grew up in the rural thumb, but I’ve been in California since '96 and I get a little homesick every day. Still go back for Deer/Holiday season, but it’s not the same thing as being immersed in the country life every day.

And you sleep like a champ, that much is true.

Ha, I’m the opposite…Bored of living in Long Island, NY. the suburbs might be nice for a family or older people but I can’t imagine living here my whole life…can’t wait until I move to NYC in a year or so.

I’ve always lived in the country and the city has always been 45 minutes away.

Needless to say, I’m one of the most laidback people you’ll ever meet. Sleep is great…having a garden is great. Just peace on earth in the country.

However, the little shits that tear up your garden will piss you off.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

Wise Guy have you thought about moving up north? Petosky, Gaylord, any of those areas? Not sure how the job market is up there, but damn sure is a nice place to be.

And you’d still be in Michigan. Folks who aren’t from there don’t realize how great of a state it is because they only consider Detroit, but the whole rest of the state is pretty much rural and awesome. I grew up in the rural thumb, but I’ve been in California since '96 and I get a little homesick every day. Still go back for Deer/Holiday season, but it’s not the same thing as being immersed in the country life every day.

And you sleep like a champ, that much is true. [/quote]

Your right on the money Brad, thanks.

I would do Petosky in a second, but just like you mentioned bro, there is no industry.

I just forked out some major coin and time/energy on a B.B.A, and doing the MBA thing now, I’d hate to toss it all away and do some tourism gig for 9 bucks an hour there.