I Need Mass Gains.

I am a boxer/mma fighter. I dont compete yet but I center my training regimen around mma. My current lifting program is based on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Right now I am trying to focus my lifting on strenght/mass gains. After about 6-8 weeks I am going to go back to ciruit weight training. Here is my curent weekly routine:

Mondays
Front squats (4 sets x 8 reps)
Military press (4 sets x 8 reps)
Lunges
Dumbell shoulder press (3 sets x 10 reps)
Upright rows (3 sets x 10 reps)
Close grip chin ups (3 sets x however many reps i can get out)

Wednesdays
Barbell bench press (4 sets x 8 reps)
Bent over rows (4 sets x 8 reps)
Incline Dumbell Bench (4 sets x 8 reps)
Seated cable rows (3 sets x 10 reps)
Dumbell rows (3 sets x 10 reps)
Cable flys (3 sets x 10 reps)
Dips (3 sets x however many reps I can get)

Fridays
Dead lifts (4 sets x 8 reps)
Dumbell shoulder press-single arm alternating (3 sets x 10 reps)
Good mornings (4 sets x 8 reps)
Twist curls (3 sets x 10 reps)
Supinated curls ( 3 sets x 10 reps)
Skull crushers (3 sets x 10 reps)
Pullups (3 sets x however many reps i can get)

On my off days, Tuesdays and Thursdays, I do my boxing/mma workout.
Example:
Heavybag with 16 oz gloves (4 rounds x 4 minutes with a minute rest in between each round)
Speed bag (3 rounds x 3 minutes with a minute rest between each round)
Reflex double end bag with 16 oz gloves (3 rounds x 3 minutes with a minute rest between each round)

Rest 3 minutes, then I do 3 sets of 10 pushups immediatly followed by pullups. Rest 1 minute between each set. I then do my abs for 3 sets. After I go straight to jumproping for 7 minutes. (Try to increase time by 30 seconds each session). I also try to spar on these days but I have to round up other people for that. So I dont get to spar as much as I would really like to.

All this seems long winded but I wanted to provide my exact workout for tips from other seasoned trainers. I am currently 6’2" and weigh 170 lbs. I would like to gain 15-20 pounds within the next 3 months. What I want to know is what I might be doing wrong and what I need to be doin in order to get my desired mass gains. On last thing, on the above weight lifting days my rest period for lifts of 4 sets x 8 reps is 1 min 30 seconds. And my rest period of lifts with 3 sets x 10 reps is only a minute.

Ive read alot on here and hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction (if im goin in the wrong one) in order to achieve the results I want. Thank you for any replies.

You didnt mention the most important part… hint: diet.

You need to be eating an assload of food with all that training to gain weight.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
You didnt mention the most important part… hint: diet.

You need to be eating an assload of food with all that training to gain weight.[/quote]

Yeah my bad on that. I meant too but forgot. Yeah i do eat an ass load of food. I shoot for around 3000-4000 calories a day.

[quote]ThrowinBows wrote:
Yeah my bad on that. I meant too but forgot. Yeah i do eat an ass load of food. I shoot for around 3000-4000 calories a day.
[/quote]

Thats not quite an assload.

Being 6 foot and only 170 lbs, I can only imagine you have a fast metabolism to begin with. Add in all of that cardio, and you should be aiming for closer to 4500-5500 cals.

Put it this way, if you’re eating 3-4k cals, and you’re still not gaining, well, you’re not eating enough.

I personally think it is too much work (unless you are “assisted”).

For the work maybe something along 5x5 for the basic exercises

Squats
OHP/Bench
Deads
Chins
Dips

3 times per week. Work on a heavy, light, medium.

For the eating if you have trouble sitting down and eating protein, then whey/casein shakes would fill the void. Best idea would be to eat your regular meals and have a prot shake with them.

Yeah i do have a really fast metabolism as is. So I think your right about not gettin enough calories. I am gonna start eating more plus takin cyto gainer to get those extra calories, especially on the days i box/spar/roll around. Thanx everyone for you’re insights. Much appreciation.

I was in your situation about 18 months ago, 6’2", 175lbs. I’ve gone up to 200lbs since then with a steady regime of martial arts five days a week. Basically, just eat a lot, especially before bed.

The only thing that helped me make consistant gains (about 1.5 lbs a week over a 2 month period) was drinking a quart of milk every day before bed along with a whole lot of food during the day. If you want to keep your abs, don’t do it, but then again, you probably won’t gain mass if you want to keep sight of your abs.

Yeah im not worried so much about asthetically appealling abs at this point. Just worried about having rock hard ones in order to take the punishment of body blows from knees, punches, etc. I will worry later on about fat %. I just need gains at this point.

[quote]ThrowinBows wrote:
Yeah im not worried so much about asthetically appealling abs at this point. Just worried about having rock hard ones in order to take the punishment of body blows from knees, punches, etc. I will worry later on about fat %. I just need gains at this point. [/quote]

You can still have rock hard abs under a small layer of fat. Bottom line is you have a fast metabolism and you are doing an assload of work. It’s no wonder you aren’t gaining. Cut back on all that work stick to three or four compound movements three times per week with little other activity with upping your cals slightly and you will grow. Two or three months of this will provide results then you can go back to your MMA training workouts bigger and stronger.

D