T Nation

I Need Help On Performance Dieting

OK, here is the deal. About a year ago i was in a bad accident messed up my self real good. But thanks to God I made a full recovery and now i am back into sports mainly track and field. Anyway need an edge on my competition and i believe that eatin right can do that.Because of this site i know how important it is to eat rite to improve performance. I am a high school student, 6 feet tall and 145lbs. I currently run the 400m, 200m and i do Long Jump. I need any information about what and how much i should be eatin for peak performance. If u need any information about any thing else let me know. Thanks.

Hey, there, bonez_tmac! I’m very glad to hear that you’re going to start focusing on your diet. You’re way ahead of the rest of your class!!!

Okay, let’s get started. Eating for peak performance involves 3 things:

• Cutting out the garbage and eating “good stuff” in its place

• Eating enough & eating often enough

• Optimizing PWO nutrition

Re supplements, at this point in your life, you don’t need too much more than a good multi-vitamin, fish oil, and possibly Surge (if your budget allows it.

I’ve got to run right now, but I’ll come back with some more thoughts later today.

Anyone else want to jump in on this one? (grin)

A few more things, bonez_tmac. I know you have a coach and teachers and parents who are supportive of your performance goals, but you’re still going to have to educate yourself and take charge of your nutrition. I’d like to see you start by reading anything and everything by Lonnie Lowery and John Berardi. It won’t matter whether they’re discussing bulking or cutting. You’ll still pick up a lot of theory and good information.

I’d like to see you focus on:

• Preparing your food ahead so that you can take it with you when you go. If you don’t, you’re going to have to eat whatever is available.

• Eat protein every meal.

• Eat every 2.5 to 3 hours.

There’s a lot more I could recommend, but if you start with the above and cut out the Cokes and pizza and snacky foods, you’ll be well on your way to eating in a way that will support your performance goals!

Good luck, and if you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask.