T Nation

I Need Help Gaining Weight

I’m 16 years old 5’7 and weigh 120 lbs i’ve trained for about six months and haven’t made much improvement. I was wondering if there’s anything I can get to make it easier to gain weight and some better exercises. I’m just about to give up and try some juice.

[quote]the govenator wrote:
I’m 16 years old 5’7 and weigh 120 lbs i’ve trained for about six months and haven’t made much improvement. I was wondering if there’s anything I can get to make it easier to gain weight and some better exercises. I’m just about to give up and try some juice.[/quote]

What does your diet/training program look like? It’s tough to give accurate answers without some background information.

Oh my…

Training harder and eating more food than you have been is the only answer to your problem. Try to put your parents into debt with all the food you eat, meat pasta milk whatever. There isn’t a secret exercise or meal plan. And please don’t say you were serious about steroids.

i eat until im stuffed every meal and i drink protein shakes with some flax seed oil. my calorie intake is probably around 3000. i go to the gym 3-4 times a week

is there any kind of supplement to help alongside eating heavily and working out harder. i was thinking about it but i’ve been reading about it and i dont like the whole stunting my growth part about it.

What progress have you made in the last six months in all of your lifts?

i eat until im stuffed every meal and i drink protein shakes with some flax seed oil. my calorie intake is probably around 3000. i go to the gym 3-4 times a week[/quote]

Eat more. Hell I didn’t start really gaining until I was taking in around 4k a day. And what are you stuffing yourself with every meal? Good food or shitty food?

i eat until im stuffed every meal and i drink protein shakes with some flax seed oil. my calorie intake is probably around 3000. i go to the gym 3-4 times a week[/quote]

How many times a day do you stuff yourself? I didn’t make significant progress until I started bringing food to work and eating every 2-3 hours through the entire day plus pilfering a liter of milk a day from the coffee machine. At your age you’re probably in school so bring something you can snack on between classes or whenever. Mixed nuts and raisins is one possibility.

Generally stuffing yourself isn’t a good idea. Eat till you’re not hungry, but don’t stuff yourself so you cannot any anything more. Instead of eating huge meals every now and then, eat moderate meals often.

Eat healthy food instead of crappy food, make sure you get enough protein. And don’t guess on your calorie intake, log your calories for a few days and find the true number. Not your estimation.

Lots of good advice here.

Also, don’t forget the importance of sleep. Try for 8-10 hours a night.

At 16 you have not done growing heightwise. This means that the calories you consume will go into growing, but not into growing bigger muscles. Longer bones, longer muscles, more skin, bigger dick etc.

Most 16 year olds will find it extremely difficult to consume enough food to get really muscular. Have a look at a pic of Arnold at 16! Sure, he is probably a fair bit bigger than you, but lets face it he probably had the right genes.

Getting on the sauce will not produce much more muscle at your age, and is a very bad idea from other points of view (ie stuffing around with your natural hormone system). It is all about the eating. GRADUALLY increase the amount you eat. Start by increasing the frequency.

When you are eating regularly every 2 1/2 hours, then you can start increasing the cals at each meal. Eating calorie dense food helps. Stay away from the cardboard chicken (ie breast) and get into meat with decent fat levels. As long as you don’t overdo the carbs and keep your activity levels high, eating fat will not make you fat.

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
At 16 you have not done growing heightwise. This means that the calories you consume will go into growing, but not into growing bigger muscles. Longer bones, longer muscles, more skin, bigger dick etc.

Most 16 year olds will find it extremely difficult to consume enough food to get really muscular. Have a look at a pic of Arnold at 16! Sure, he is probably a fair bit bigger than you, but lets face it he probably had the right genes.

Getting on the sauce will not produce much more muscle at your age, and is a very bad idea from other points of view (ie stuffing around with your natural hormone system). It is all about the eating. GRADUALLY increase the amount you eat. Start by increasing the frequency.

When you are eating regularly every 2 1/2 hours, then you can start increasing the cals at each meal. Eating calorie dense food helps. Stay away from the cardboard chicken (ie breast) and get into meat with decent fat levels. As long as you don’t overdo the carbs and keep your activity levels high, eating fat will not make you fat.[/quote]

Grt post

i agree and you just need to step up the eating can be the hardest part food as fuel not food just eat work on that harder then you do in the gym

Phill

I’m 16 years old 5’7 and weigh 120 lbs i’ve trained for about six months and haven’t made much improvement. I was wondering if there’s anything I can get to make it easier to gain weight and some better exercises. I’m just about to give up and try some juice.[/quote]

I guess this is truly a kinder gentler T-Nation, huh?

You should be getting smoked for even suggesting steroids at 16, because it’s a terrible fucking idea.

Christ. Eat more and search for Vroom’s beginner thread, then go to McDonald’s and get to the point where you can eat 5 different things off the dollar menu at one time. Get on Waterbury’s TBT, and go to it.

At 120 pounds, eating clean is not something you should consider unless you want to be 120 until your metabolism slows.

I think (hope) he was kidding about the steroids.

I was in your spot once. Stuck at a low bodyweight due to fast metabolism, tons of activity, making weight for wrestling, etc.

Basically, eat whatever has a lot of calories (in regards to volume ie calorie dense) until you cannot eat any more. then wait 5 min and try to stuff some more food down. This is probably the only time in life when you can eat any amount of the worst food and still be lean. Every meal should have plenty of all macro nutrients. for example, Whole milk with nestle quick powder (3 cups), 1/2 dozen eggs, 4 slices wheat toast with butter and jam, banana with PB or apple with PB. (this is breakfast) wait a little and try to down a protein shake.

Another easy one is boil up some water and make a box of pasta (1lb dry) then add marinara sauce with meatballs or chicken breast (2-3 chicken breasts or the equivalent protein from ground beef)

PB and bagels is another good one. its a good snack for packing on the weight.

every meal can end in desert.

have a full stomach before bed, you will wake up hungry if you do this.

I was a 130lb gangly high school kid. since i was eating like i suggested to you, by the end of the summer (2.5 months) i was a 165 pound gangly high school kid haha. still 35 pounds of fairly lean weight in that period of time is respectable.

WARNING: if you do this for a long time without lifting heavy and staying active, you will get FAT.

I’m also 16 man.Don’t stress gaining weight.I’m 5’8" and have been that height for a long time.When I started lifting I was about 165.All you have to do to gain weight is squat,bench press,power clean,deadlift,and military press 3 days a week with moderate to heavy weight for moderate to low reps.And lift with alot of intensity.

You don’t even have to do ALL of the workouts I stated either.Squatting is your best bet(with good form all the way down).More importantly EAT anything and everything without worrying about getting fat.Once you gain some mass then you can cut.During summer between 8th grade and freshman year I lifted every day,had 2 protein shakes a day and ate 4 servings of mashed potatoes.Every day.

I jumped from 170 to 190.That might be more food than you need at 120 pounds but you see my point.Following basic rules like these I gained from 165 to 230 in 2 years without ever gettin very fat.

DON’T take steroids either.I’m not even gonna explain why.DON’T do it.

thanks for all the suggestions guys. im gonna eat every chance i get. anymore ideas would be appreciated greatly

My other suggestion.Be stubborn as the fuck.When you say your gonna do a weight or do an amount of sets or reps just go balls to the wall and do it.If you eventually start to notice that a little body fat shows up don’t stress it.Stick to the set routines and guidelines everyone has told you in this thread.Do work bruh good luck.

This is tailored specifically for you.

try…

16… Sleep 8-10 hours a night.

CHUG Milk! I mean 1 gallon a day, DESTROY IT. Example Me and my brothers if left alone with a gallon of juice can each kill about 3-4 gallons. Stick with simple carbs like juice, add extra protein and calories through milk also. White rice BABY! and pour on the meat.

Barbarian speed inhalation eating.

Finish lineman sized portions in under 20 minutes before your body realizes it’s full. Throw in FAT Monstrous peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Have 3-4 eggs in a breakfast sandwich with your choice of meat and cheese hmmm…

I really would like to see pictures of what you are eating.

Not one burger but 4, with french fries, and a large coke.

Eat like this and see if you gain weight. Or hell…

Just make sure you eat all your eating but try to double it and have a bucket of kentucky fried chicken with 2-3 biscuits, some mashed potatoes and gravy ( large ) and some mac n cheese.

If you can’t gain weight eating this then… YOUR AN ALIEN.