T Nation

I Need Guidance, Bad...

22 years old, male, 5’9, 16%+ BF, 177lbs (down from 270), skinnyfat still
Goal: Hypertrophy, I want to put on some size to see if it will fill out my frame better
Maxes:
Bench-230
Squat-265
Deadlift-367.5

My story:
18 years old I weighed in a 270, finally decided it wasn’t my genetics and I was just fat as fuck cause I did nothing and ate crap all day. I started doing lots of cardio at first and dropped weight quick, then I found some stuff on bodybuilding and started lifting…though, not dedicated.

Fast forward 4 years and I am 175, which is nice…pretty much 100 lbs down, but my body has not changed in almost 2 years now. I have never really commited to a bulk, use to any time I would the scale moved 5 lbs and I got freaked out and stopped eating as many calories. I have done SS and lots of other programs, but usually I don’t see any progress and I will quit 8-12 weeks later…this cycle ends today. I have been lifting weights for 4 years now and you probably wouldn’t even be able to tell.

I come to this forum seeking help, I need to gain weight. I want more mass to fill out my frame. I am skinnyfat and I hate it. I do not care about abs, I want to grow.

Diet:
I am in the military, and I currently eat mostly out of the dfac. Counting calories is not an option atm, and with going to the field and relying on MREs eating clean is not always an option. That being said here is what I am looking at currently as my meals. I do think I am eating more now and may be able to make gains on it. If not, I will go back for seconds.

Training:
First off I will admit I am lost, there are so many programs, templates, and set/rep schemes to choose from that it is giving me a head ache. I have been recommended DC Training, Big Boy Basics, Madcows 5x5, Layne Norton’s hypertrophy program, HST, 5/3/1, TUT routines, High volume, low volume…I am drowning in a sea of information.

I just need guidance, can someone recommend me a routine that is geared toward my goals? I am going to committing to this.

Hey, I’m only 17 and was relatively skinny over a year ago and very weak, i had the same problem i couldn’t gain weight. I got onto a 5x5 program just using the big basic exercises and started consciously trying to eat more. I just made sure i ate more then everyone else in my grade at school no calorie counting or anything just watever i could get my hands on.

Eating clean of course cause i wanted to be lean, granted being a teenage boy with a relatively fast metabolism it didn’t matter to much. Just doing that in 10 weeks i managed to put on 5kg/11pounds of lean muscle and increase my lifts by a lot which was huge for me.

Might consider giving a good 5x5, 3x5 strength program a go, obviously everyone responds differently but it worked great for me and everything around seems to point to them working.
cheers

Here is the stock answer for your situation. Pick a program, doesn’t matter to much just commit to get better every week be it an extra rep or more weight just get better. Eat as much as you can as often as you can. There are plenty of active military folks on this board making great progress so you can too. Good luck.

my two cents… as stated above just pick a program and see how it goes. be sure to be consistent with the program and be sure that, that program includes your big compound lifts (bench press, dead lifts, squats, military press, pull ups, etc) these lifts incorporate a large part of your central nervous system and incorporate a lot of different muscle groups. After a few weeks you should begin to see a noticeable difference.

As far as bulking, just eat a lot and eat clean this should start to put muscle on your frame. I would get your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and just a few numbers as far as calories (1 cup chicken breast is 210 calories… just basic numbers so you have an idea so you won’t overeat).

Finally just have fun with it. BB is not just a science its a lifestyle, no point in torturing yourself with numbers etc. Just make sure you lift hard and heavy and eat clean.

Oh and thanks for your service. Good luck!