T Nation

I need answers/advice

1. I do squats on a smith machine
  2. I am coming off a 10 day break; what should I do when I get back
  3. I drink gape juice as my post workout carbs
  4. I eat tuna as my post workout protein
  5. I don’t eat meal replacements any more, only because I think they put on weight.
  6. I lift first thing in the morning, so my pre workout meal is a hard-boiled egg and an apple.
  7. I need to lose some body-fat, but I am scared to do cardio. I don’t want to lose any muscle.

Here we go:

1. I do squats on a smith machine
    –Most here will agree that free squats and dead lifts are what your program should be built around. The smith machine is good to hang your towel on and that is about it.

2. I am coming off a 10 day break; what should I do when I get back
    –read ALL of the previous t-mag issues before going to the gym (and then re-read them when you get back)

3. I drink gape juice as my post workout carbs
    –Surge is the best pwo drink, but gatorade powder and whey is better than what most do pwo.

4. I eat tuna as my post workout protein
    –A protein drink with carbs (not fructose) would work better as the nutrients are absorbed faster, but if tuna is all you got than it is better than pizza.

5. I don’t eat meal replacements any more, only because I think they put on weight.
    –It is true that some of the weight gainer drinks out there should be avoided, but a good whey protien (like Grow!) is always handy to have around.

6. I lift first thing in the morning, so my pre workout meal is a hard-boiled egg and an apple.
    –Again I would go with some diluted carb/protein drink to sip on throuought the workout. Eating solid food right before working out, especially if you are going to take this advice and add free squats and dead lifts to your program, could not be a pleasant experience.

7. I need to lose some body-fat, but I am scared to do cardio. I don’t want to lose any muscle.
    –If you want to lose body fat than your diet has to be your first priority. As long as you are expending more calories than you are taking in, you should lose weight. Try some HIIT training or check out Christian T’s Running Man article. These seem to be the best ways to shed the fat and preserve the muscle. BTW I have been adding muscle lately and I do more cardio than most would recommend. You should read the cardio roundtable articles which dispell some of the myths about cardio.

Above everything that I have said, read, read, read T-Mag. This magazine is a goldmine for young trainers like yourself(I am assuming you are young) I hope your training goes better than it ever has before with this wealth of knowledge at your fingertips. Keep us updated.

You are kidding right? The first line alone leaves you open for public castration on this board.

Stop.

Real squats

Get some Surge

See answer/advice to number 3.

Don’t understand your logic behind it but good. MRPs are not as good as real food.

Buy some Surge and eat that same meal an hour before you lift.

Look up T-Dawg v2.0. If you wieghtloss isn’t progressing add cardio. Cardio isn’t necessarily a muscle killer. Also, search for the Running Man and various HIIT articles.

Ok, well I just looked to see if you had any previous posts and it seems that you are on Mag-10. I am sorry that I assumed you were a youngin but your questions were a bit sophmoric.

So you have to be at least 18. All I can say is read t-mag. You are going to kick yourself in the face when you learn that you could have used Mag-10 more effectively(i.e. with pwo nutrition and free squats)

to each his/her own

How about some proper details.
your stats and goals would be a good start. How long have you been training, have you read any of the articles on this site… etc

First, I am not on Mag-10 anymore. I went through a bottle and I can’t afford another.

Second, all my gym has is a smith machine for squats. Should I be doing dumbbell squats instead?

As for my diet, I leave my house by 430 AM and donn’t return until 10 pm, so I do not have the luxury to eat what I should.

I don’t know my stats. I am 25 years old and have been lifting for 7 years, although you would never be able to tell. I always bust my ass in the gym and watch what I eat. I have been told that I over train, but I have also been told that my training is not intense enough.

My chest is my lagging bodypart. It is always sore after my workouts, but it never grows.

Also, my stomach is pathetic. For all the time I spend in the gym, I should be much leaner.

I have the discipline to do what ever it takes to reach my genetic max, but I don’t know what exactly I should be doing. Any advice would be appreciated.

As everyone has already said, the time in the gym is largely secondary, the time spent eating properly will determine the size of your stomach.

Squats and Deadlifts are the most productive exercises. The “ideal” gym has power racks with safety pins to perform squats and bench presses. My advice is: try to find a suitable gym.
At the moment db squats are definitively safer and more productive than Smith machine squats.

As for my diet, I leave my house by 430 AM and donn’t return until 10 pm, so I do not have the luxury to eat what I should.
Not a luxury, a necessity! Without the correct nutrition administered properly, you’ll never be able to achive you goals. You are going to have to make use of powders, bars and additional supplements if you can’t eat properly throughout the day. Also, recovery time is important. With your schedule you may be getting insufficient rest and may need more time to recover.

I don’t know my stats. I am 25 years old and have been lifting for 7 years, although you would never be able to tell.
Well, you are certainly doing something wrong if you can’t tell after seven years. Also, you need to know your stats. You can’t tell if you are improving without the data. You should be collecting it weekly.
Can you provide the exact details of your program - how many days a week, which body parts on what days (more than just squats, I hope), what exercises, reps and sets, etc.

My chest is my lagging bodypart. It is always sore after my workouts, but it never grows.
After seven years you should have something to show for it. Again, what exercises are you specifically doing for you chest?

Worst post ever.

Growingfast,

your not actually…growingfast at all are you.

Seriously though, if after 7 years you have not seen significant progress then there is major flaw somewhere, diet, training or maybe even both.

I suggest getting one of the training programs from this site, OVT, ABBH, or some of the cutting programs such as meltdown, found in the FAQ.

It maybe a wise idea to follow a diet like T-dawg 2. Even though you might leave at 4.30am and come back at 10, make ur meals the night before and take them with you.

First, let me just thank all of you giving advice or constructive criticism. For those just being outright mean, please get a life.

I am not saying that after 7 years you can’t tell I go to the gym. I am saying it doesn’t look like I have been going for seven years.

Here is my old program:
it is 3 days on one day off
1- Back/Biceps
2- Legs/Shoulders
3- Chest/Triceps
4- Off
5- Repeat

Legs- Smith machine squats 4x6-10
Seated quad machine 4x6-10
straight leg dead lifts 4x6-10 or hamstring curls 4x12

Biceps- barbell curl 4x6-10 dumbell curl 3x6-10 preacher machine or preacher with ez curl bar 3x8-12 optional= hammers with rope or dumbell 3x10

Shoulders- Dumbbell military press 3x6-10 lateral/front raise (supersets) 3x8/8
standing rows 3x10 shrugs 3-4x8-12

Back- widegrip pullups 4xfailure (6-8)
close-reverse grip 4xfailure (6-8)
Widegrip pulldowns 3x6-10
standing rows 3x6-8
seated rows 3x6-8

Chest- Flat bench 4x6-10
Dumbell incline 4X6-10
Dips 4X failure (10-12)

Triceps- closegrip bench 4X8-12

All sets are heavey, almost always to failure or close to it. However, I am weak.

Bench Press 3x225
Shoulder press 5x70
curl 5x95
squat 225 smith machine all the way down

I don’t think you are eating right and eating enough to gain muscle mass.

You should try to eat every 2.5-3 hours and shoot for around 2500-3000 calories (depending on your goal and body type). Also, post-workout nutrition is very important. You HAVE to eat big after working out. Right after working out, have some liquid carbs (like 70-100 grams of gatorade) and 25-35 grams of good whey protein.

Also, try to concentrate on compound movements like squats, dead-lifts, bench-press, military press, dips, pull-ups etc if you want to gain muscle mass.

Remember, it is hard to gain muscle mass and loose fat at the same time. So you might want to aim for one of these at a time.

Hope this helps.

Gary

is the grape juice not a good post work out drink? I read that it was. I used to have a myoplex shake after my workouts, but, as I stated earlier, I stopped using meal replacements.

As for multijoint exercises, I would do more, but I am worried that I don’t have the correct form. As you can tell from the no squat rack, my gym does not have many powerlifters.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will start a food and lifting log. How should I chart progress (strength, weight, etc.)

Also, I read about a new workout. Actually, it is old. I think Arnold used to use it:

3 exercises per body part every other day. 5x12 going up in weight when you can lift 12 times for all five sets.
Example: Bench 225 12 12 10 8 6 next workout you wouldn’t go in weight. Next workout 225 12 12 12 12 12 next workout you would go up in weight.

You lift six days a week, every body part 3 days a week.

My gym at school has a squat rack, but it doesn’t open early enough. I could use it on the weekends. How often do you guys squat? Is once a week suffecient?

‘I lift first thing in the morning, so my pre workout meal is a hard-boiled egg and an apple.’

‘I am 25 years old and have been lifting for 7 years, although you would never be able to tell.’

EAT SOME DAMN FOOD !

‘Buy a porsche, then piss in the gas tank, and see how many miles to the gallon you get.’

jaystyles

the amount of times one can squat a week is determined by many things like nutrition, quality of rest/sleep, job, sports played, sets and reps, intensity etc. I squat twice a week but don’t quite go to failure.

I understand. I will eat, eat, eat!
But try getting up at 4:15am and eat a big meal. I lift at 5:30. The gym is a 1/2 hour away. What should I eat and when should I eat it?

LOOL…
GAPE JUICE… Sounds like something that comes out of your ASS!!!