T Nation

I Need an Advanced Westside Routine

Can anyone give me a routine like WESTSIDE that is for the more advanced? Help would be very appreciated.

I think the advanced version of westside template is to bring up your weaknesses/sticking points, which is specific to your needs as a lifter. There is no specific program... only the template involving ME, DE, and assistance work.

Note: this is just from what I understand and I'm definitely not Louie Simmons or Dave Tate so take it with a grain of salt.

Well I have been working out for 3 years, do you think it would be ok to do a routine very similar to ''westside for skinny bastards part 1''? Would I still make gains? How long should I follow it for and what does it mean by ''A. MAX-EFFORT LIFT ? Work up to a max set of 3-5 reps.''? How many sets? Can I add a leg day since there is only 1? sorry for all the questions!

If you don't even know what max effort is you don't need an "advanced" west side routine. If you haven't read any articles about Westside on their website, you should. If you haven't read Dave Tate's articles here you definitely should.

The West Side crew is a bunch of manimals with god knows how many elite totals, and what they do is basically the same as everybody else using "west side". Choose a template using the methods you need to build up your weaknesses.

I'm not trying to flame you dude, but read up some.

Ok I did and if I continue to change reps and exercises, could I use this ''split'' forever? or atleast for a long time?

max effort lift is like this right?

150 lbs 5 reps
170 lbs 5 reps
190 lbs 5 reps
210 lbs 5 reps

like warming up right?

Yes you could practically use the Westside method forever, Louie and Chuck and some of the early guys have used it for a very long time. For a max effort bench session start with the bar and basically "warmup" without taking too big of jumps between lifts. For later sets if 210 is your 5RM then that looks fine, 20 lbs isnt too big of a jump for you. But seriously, read all of Dave's articles here especially The Eight Keys and Bustin Ass 101.

Its kinda odd, because i just stoped this program that me and my training partner was doin and was looking for a new one and came across wsfsb, could'nt find the original westside(westside templete) so i kinda mixed 1 and 2 of wsfsb a little, but if you go to joe's site DeFrancostraining.com and go to ask joe around may of 05 it answers the ME part of your question and about the extra leg day that i also added to mine.I plan to start tommorow, and ive been training about 2 years, and im making an educated guess that it'll still give good gains of strength and size with enough sleep and food and working your arse off.

You need to read more on westside.

Here is a good link:

Follow the other links at the top of the page to read everything in the proper order. At the end of the article I posted, they have an introductory westside program.

Read everything I linked you and then ask questions as needed.

Good Luck!

Thanks alot and sorry for the stupid a$$ question

I wanted to ask this , maybe I'll just use your thread to do it:

Do you guys think adding trap work do the me upper day in addition to the de day would be too much? I't's been one of my weekpoints.

I Am young, on a moderate bulk and think I should hold up well. I was just wondering if anybody thought two 15 minute trap sessions a week might be too much? Hopefully not.

No worries, I could just tell by your question that you weren't that familiar with westside. I hope the articles help.

Face pulls and seated dumbell cleans are a staple finishing exercise for both Westside upper body days. You should probably do 1 of these for 2-3 weeks and then switch.

If traps are REALLY your single most critical weak point (and it is possible as they both make your bench and squat setup more solid) then I would do them most training days, or even as an extra 10 minute workout on "off" days.

Advanced westside in my opinion involves three main things:

1) Focus on pushing you DE loads ever faster. Don't increase the raw weight unless you are blowing up 8 x 2 squat and 8 x 3 bench in about a 10 minute time frame to start the workout.

2) Figure out your one weak point in each lift. For the squat it is usually: Glute/hams, lower back and abs or upper back in my opinion. For glute hams, focus on arched back GMS, for lower back, bent over GMS and for upper back safety bar squats for max effort. For bench I break it down into A) Off the chest: Focus on lats and traps; Midrange: focus on shoulders-but primarily on scapular rotation-shoulder push from the scapula, and lockout: closegip boards.

3) Picking 1 or at most 2 areas in need of hypertrophy-probably in line with your weak point, and give them extra rep work.

However, I would use bands early on as well. If you are really moving fast in the squat, you'll need them to keep from throwing the weight off your back.