T Nation

I Need a New Routine

Here's my first post at T-Nation. Finally made an account after lurking on these forums for quite some time.

I'm looking for some direction, a new routine to set into.

Background info:
6'1" @ 205lbs. I train 5 days a week over my lunch break. (which allows me a good solid hour at the gym and enough time to grab lunch on the way back to the office)
I started 'seriously' lifting early this year. I've gained 30 lbs and a great amount of strength. I've lost about 5% of body fat, and this past month I've focused on a reverse pyramid routine on the advice of a guy who works at the gym. So here's that...

First set = 6 reps @ 85% of 1 rep max
Second set = 8 reps @ 75% of 1 rep max
Third = 10 reps @ 70% of 1 rep max

Monday (Chest & Tris)
Dumbell Press
Incline Dumbell
Iso Bench Machine
Fly Machine
Weighted Dips
Rope Pulldowns

Tuesday (Back and Bis)
Chin Ups
Seated Lo Row
Lat Pull Down
Rear Flys
Close Grip pull down
Eagle Row
EZ bar curls
Curl Machine

Wednesday (Legs)
Squats
Deadlift
Leg Curls
Leg Extensions
Leg Press
Calf raises

Thursday (Shoulders & Traps)
Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Shrugs
Iso Shoulder Press
Dumbbell straight arm lifts
Eagle Shoulder Press

Friday (Arms)
Curls
More Curls
Tricep action
More Tricep lifts

So everything went really well with this routine. I liked it a lot because it did feel like I was accomplishing more at the time, and, a month later, I've added 10-20lbs on all the lifts. The downside however, is I think I've yanked a muscle in both my shoulders, and my knees are getting hurt from late night basketball.

What I'm looking for is a new routine that is kind to my joints, and something that will add size to my arms. I've had a lot of trouble working on my arms, they just don't seem to respond like the rest of my body has.

Please let me know what points ya'll have.

Thanks...

You do realise any other routine will stil incorporate those same exercises...so i don't see how it will be more joint friendly!!

i would just focus more on warming up your joints before you start...maybe some leg extensions before your leg workout or pushdowns before triceps.

Secondly...the reason you may be having trouble with your arms is the fact that your are just doing curls (there is no variation in your lifts) and also you are just doing "tricep action"...whatever that is... do some comound movements for triceps and add a bit more variation in your bicep exercises.

My fridays typically play out like this

EZ bar curls
Rope pulldowns
Hammer curl machine
Arm extension machine
Cable pulldowns (1 arm)
cable curls (1 arm)

So my arms are really tight all around after that, but I never get sore the next day. I think the problem begins is that I've always been the tall lanky type and just recently I've gotten into fixing that issue. The arms just have a hard time catching up. I'm kinda thinking I might be overworking them as well. Let me know if you think my typical routine has enough variation.

You are only overworking them if you aren't progressing on your exercises!

Also for triceps your exercise selection is very poor. You should replace at least 1, if not 2 of your exercises with compound movements for triceps.

I'm not surprised at all that you're having joint issues if you are actually starting every exercises with the heaviest weight you can handle for 6 reps.

either this is bullshit, or you've got some serious amount of energy to use.

Hi. You might want to consider taking two weeks off and just do nothing as far as weight lifting is concerned. You started off shocking your body all of a sudden and carried on doing that for quite some time. I think taking some time off while having some joint supplements will not only help the body recover but your joints might also get stronger by the next time you hit the gym. Again that's just an advice.

Dumb advice.