T Nation

I Need a New Diet

Simply put I need a new diet. I've been working off of a low carb and high fat/protein diet for quite a while now and its just not working for me anymore. I started the Serious Growth lifting program and went from 150 to 170 in 3 months. I know I have gained a lot of muscle, but I would really like to cut the fat. I am 16 and a girl so bulk is not my goal. Ideally I would like to be at lean 145 without loosing the muscle I have already built. What are some good programs out there? The more I look the more it is information overload- and no one agrees.

Paleo… beyond that the idea is to just eat real food.

Carb Nite - John Keifer
IF - Dr John Berardi
Paleo - don’t know who

These are a few of the top of my head that are good for losing fat whilst minimising muscle loss. However my understanding is that as long as you lift regularly with intensity, get the necessary protein in and don’t drastically reduce your calories…the muscle should stay in tact - A slow cut if you like.

I personally, just skip breakfast (essentially burn fat) and eat P&F meals prior to workout and P&C meals post (repair and rebuild). Since I train late in the day (6pm) I keep the Carbs High GI; maltodextrin, white rice, potato etc… Now 4 weeks on I have gained 5lbs with no noticeable fat gain and a considerable increase in intensity in the gym. I was previously on a 6 month paleo.

If this sounds like something you can do but more geared towards fat loss then carb nite is probably worth the attention.

I looked up the Carb Nite and i have done a diet EXACTLY like that. It didn’t work :confused: The weekend carb load stuff just kills me. I basically eat paleo if I am not on a specific diet and it keeps me constant. As for the IF I work out twice a day. I forgot to mention I also do fitness and conditioning 5 days a week. I have to have food to sustain me throughout the day. But I will probably talk to my dad about it anyway. Thanks for the info!

Can you list what you ate yesterday with approx portion sizes

[quote]SuperPBJ wrote:
Simply put I need a new diet.
…I am 16 and a girl so bulk is not my goal.[/quote]

I am going to recommend Paleo or Green Face:

You are 16 and judging by your OP your at risk of developing an eating disorder. I recommend the Peleo style of eating or the slightly more restrictive Green Face diet because you need to develop a healthy relationship with food. These two diets are aimed at eating whole (un-processed) foods which is a good thing to learn as a teenager. Since your growing you don’t necessarily need to be afraid of grains but if you want to focus on eating lean cuts of meat along with whole fruits and vegetables that shouldn’t hurt.

I tend to agree with Jlone and JF. I wouldn’t worry so much about a diet as I would just making good choices. Cut out the crap(soda, fast food, junk food)and try to eat as many real foods as possible.

8 almonds pre-workout
3 eggs 2 johnson breakfast sausages
2 chicken thighs and a salad caesar dressing slice of cheese
1 Italian sausage with bell peppers and onions and an apple
I drink about 100oz of water a day plus a glass or two of tea. I haven’t had a soda since Thanksgiving, I don’t eat fast food unless I am traveling, and the only candy/junk food I eat is chocolate.
I don’t supplement or anything like that. And genetically I am predisposed to being strong and building muscle, but also having some stubborn fat.

Please explain how I am at risk of developing an eating disorder? I just want to be in the best physical condition I can before tennis season rolls around. And I really like to lift weights.

[quote]SuperPBJ wrote:
8 almonds pre-workout
3 eggs 2 johnson breakfast sausages
2 chicken thighs and a salad caesar dressing slice of cheese
1 Italian sausage with bell peppers and onions and an apple
I drink about 100oz of water a day plus a glass or two of tea. I haven’t had a soda since Thanksgiving, I don’t eat fast food unless I am traveling, and the only candy/junk food I eat is chocolate.
I don’t supplement or anything like that. And genetically I am predisposed to being strong and building muscle, but also having some stubborn fat.

Please explain how I am at risk of developing an eating disorder? I just want to be in the best physical condition I can before tennis season rolls around. And I really like to lift weights.
[/quote]

that’s WAY too little food for being young and active like you are.

I am almost never hungry though. Trust me I am not trying to starving myself, I know that my body needs lots of fuel for all that I do. If I’m hungry I will eat, but I usually stay away from snacking between meals.

Obviously what I am doing is not working, so thats why i’m looking to change.

Did yesterday’s type of diet make you go from 150-170 or were you eating differently at that point?

I started lifting during the summer and I travel a lot so my diet (if you could even call it that) was pretty messed up when I gained the 20. But it is the same diet I used during the spring and went from a non-lifting non-dieting 160 to a decent non-lifting 150. I look better at 170 than at 150 because of the muscle, but I know if i got down to 150 without loosing muscle I would be pretty beastly.

You’re female?

How tall are you?

[quote]SuperPBJ wrote:
Simply put I need a new diet. I’ve been working off of a low carb and high fat/protein diet for quite a while now and its just not working for me anymore. I started the Serious Growth lifting program and went from 150 to 170 in 3 months. I know I have gained a lot of muscle, but I would really like to cut the fat. I am 16 and a girl so bulk is not my goal. Ideally I would like to be at lean 145 without loosing the muscle I have already built. What are some good programs out there? The more I look the more it is information overload- and no one agrees. [/quote]

Judging from the nature of your post, you’ll probably be best off with the damn most basic baseline diet with a 10 to 15% caloric reduction from maintenance.

1. Set calories.
  2. 1 to 1.5 grams protein per pound bodyweight.
  3. Set fat as 20% of diet.
  4. Rest carbs.

Please outline your current diet.

Do you know how to design your own diet?

Do you know the caloric and macronutrient content of the most common foods?

Do you know the appropriate foods to eat?

How consistent are you in following diets?

If you can’t answer these questions with a positive response, then do yourself a favor and educate yourself and stick with a basic, lifestyle diet with some moderate caloric reduction before you start messing around with more esoteric strategies.

Oops, I see you posted your diet. Sorry about that.

I am 5’6".

[quote]Do you know how to design your own diet?

Do you know the caloric and macronutrient content of the most common foods?

Do you know the appropriate foods to eat?

How consistent are you in following diets?

If you can’t answer these questions with a positive response, then do yourself a favor and educate yourself and stick with a basic, lifestyle diet with some moderate caloric reduction before you start messing around with more esoteric strategies. [quote]

I don’t know how to design my own diet, the concept is pretty new to me.
As for the caloric and macronutrients content of common foods my knowledge is basic, but sound.
I am not sure if I know what you mean by appropriate foods. Foods such as whole/natural? or just good for you vs. bad for you?
My consistency for following a diet is pretty good. I have all of the resources and time to make that not much of an issue. Normally. Like I said before I do have times when eating well is difficult. Thanks for your input I will definitely look into designing my own diet.

Brick- 20% of calories from fat is rather low isn’t it?

why not 30, 40, 50, 60?

I consider lower than 20% to be lowfat, 20 to 35 to be moderate fat, and above 35% high fat. This is just my personal take on it. 70% is like getting to be ketogenic if there are no carbs.

People can use other percentages of course if that’s what they need or just feel like doing, but when someone can’t even design a diet, there’s something else they need to learn.

Recommending carb back loading, while it might be an OK idea for some, isn’t good for someone who doesn’t even know how to design a diet according to specific macronutrient and caloric contents.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
I consider lower than 20% to be lowfat, 20 to 35 to be moderate fat, and above 35% high fat. This is just my personal take on it. 70% is like getting to be ketogenic if there are no carbs.

People can use other percentages of course if that’s what they need or just feel like doing, but when someone can’t even design a diet, there’s something else they need to learn.

Recommending carb back loading, while it might be an OK idea for some, isn’t good for someone who doesn’t even know how to design a diet according to specific macronutrient and caloric contents. [/quote]

Gotcha, and am with you on the advanced dieting practices. Just something that probably isn’t needed, even more so for a 16 yr old, IMO