I Need A Good Program

So I have been lifting for about 3 years now off and on, with varying types of exercise programs. Recently; however, I decided to get more serious and I started adding more supplements etc, took out cardio, and did more serious lifting. I have seen a change in the amount that I can lift now, but it isn’t very noticeable.

I have always had weak muscle tone and problem putting on muscle though. My problem is that over the last 4 months I have went from around 180 to around 205. It isn’t noticeable to others, as I am tall, but my midsection has definitely grown. I need some help on what direction I should take.

Should I add cardio, and go the less weight more reps route?
Should I stop taking protein shakes/eating as much?

I really need some solid suggestions for a good program to use or how I should modify my current one. Although I wouldn’t call myself a beginner, I don’t think I could handle an intense program. Also, to keep in mind, I have bad knees and shy away from doing heavy power lifts/leg lifting. Any advice would be welcomed greatly.

Simple pick a GOOD program from here IMO in your case Yhea your a beginner. Id chose something along the lines of TBT and I would do the leg work just let the knees be the limiter slowly work up on NO PAIN reps and get the knees stronger.

Sure add in a day or two of low intensity cardio if anything is going to trash those “badd knees” it repetative beating, jogging.

Yes keep eating no dont drop the protein unless you are getting enough from other food source as all protein powders are are very easy food.

Pick a good program look ast your diet tighten them both up, dont shy away from exercises that you find HARD make thenm priority, and be consistant.

Phill

Stop thinking about programs. There is no bad or good program. There is only what works for a few weeks until you have to change it up.

How’s your flexibility? I ask because flexibility has been my number one limiting factor for lifting heavy.

[quote]thekopper wrote:
So I have been lifting for about 3 years now off and on, with varying types of exercise programs. Recently; however, I decided to get more serious and I started adding more supplements etc, took out cardio, and did more serious lifting. I have seen a change in the amount that I can lift now, but it isn’t very noticeable.

I have always had weak muscle tone and problem putting on muscle though. My problem is that over the last 4 months I have went from around 180 to around 205. It isn’t noticeable to others, as I am tall, but my midsection has definitely grown. I need some help on what direction I should take.

Should I add cardio, and go the less weight more reps route?
Should I stop taking protein shakes/eating as much?

I really need some solid suggestions for a good program to use or how I should modify my current one. Although I wouldn’t call myself a beginner, I don’t think I could handle an intense program. Also, to keep in mind, I have bad knees and shy away from doing heavy power lifts/leg lifting. Any advice would be welcomed greatly.[/quote]

I would suggest reading the “Are you A Beginner II” thread, you can find this in the Beginners forum, it is very helpful and will steer you in the right direction.

How tall are you exactly? Being fairly tall myself it is hard to gain noticable size, I would say, keep chugging away and get some good size on yourself, and worry about cutting later.

Read the 7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Programs by Dr. JB focus on your nutrition and find a good program and stick with it for 4-8 weeks and make changes as needed.

Joe DeFranco has a really neat program out called Westside for Skinny Bastards, you can find that article on his website www.defrancostraining.com

You also mentioned that you do not squat. If squatting is out of the picture then I HIGHLY suggest you stick to deadlifting.