T Nation

I Need a Diet Plan

Sorry if this is the wrong section, though i do consider myself a beginner.

I’ve been training for around 2 months now, i measure 6foot 1 and around 200 pounds.

i feel my training program is fine, though im finding it extremely hard to find a diet for myself. Im taking protien shake after my workout and 1 at night. Iv tried cutting down carbs and only having them up till lunch.

What im really after is for some of you guys to help me out by recommending a diet to me that will help me loose weight well that comes with meal plans etc.

thank you.

I think it would be best for you to post what diet you are having now, including the cals plus carbs. (personal experience haha) and also what you want to archieve. (weight lost or bulking)

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=640350

You probably haven’t read this thread. Do it, and then post any questions you have.

And… yeah, your current diet wouldn’t hurt either.

I cant speak for the really experienced guys out there, ok. For me though its all about eating healthy throughout the day.

Example: fruit for breakfast with a protein shake, A high protein pre-lunch meal like leftover steak with another protein shake, a hearty lunch like macaroni salad or even spaghetti and meatballs if I have any leftover (I like Spaghetti, fuckin sue me, lol), then a light pre dinner meal like a turkey bacon sandwich, and for dinner Ill have a giant salad with 6 eggs and a shake, and another shake before I go to bed.

Its not perfect but it works for me. I hope that helped. I dont have alot of money to throw around so my diet isnt terrific.

ok thnx guys, anything you need to help me out with please ask. im willing to post whatever i have to to get this sorted.

breakfast - 8 30AM

  • 1 piece of brown bread toasted
  • cup of water
  • banana

snack - break time school 11 AM

  • often have crisps but from today cutting this out

lunch - 1 - 2 PM

  • 2 wraps with beacon and egg
  • water

after workout 4 - 5 PM

  • low carb protein shake
  • small plate of meatballs (2 - 4)

snack 5 - 6PM

  • low fat yog with apple

dinner - 7 - 8PM

  • steak
  • vegetables - brocolli, sweetcorn

workout

monday - chest/ abs
tuesday - biceps/ triceps
wed - break
thursday - shoulders/abs
friday - back

when i have time i also do a 30min sessions of spinning after my workouts.

At 200lbs you need in the region of 3000KCal per day to maintain body weight.

Start a food/training diary and count your calories. Try to hit around 2500 per day for weight loss and see how you go. Remember you are not really going to know what works for you over a period of time without making notes. IMO this is very important.

You really need to look carefully at your workout. There’s no leg work in there at all which is not good. Get some squats & deads in there.

As a beginner you can easily handle a full body workout several times a week and personally I’d be looking at doing exactly that for a while to build up some strength and experience in the lifts you need to perfect.

thnx for the reply, i cnt believe i left out legs, but dont worry i do do them. I fit them on in fridays along with back.

could you give me any opinions on doing the 30mins spinning after and my current diet?

thank you

[quote]Joseph7 wrote:
thnx for the reply, i cnt believe i left out legs, but dont worry i do do them. I fit them on in fridays along with back.

could you give me any opinions on doing the 30mins spinning after and my current diet?

thank you[/quote]

Your diet doesn’t look too bad at all. Good to see you dropped the crisps as a snack but your should replace them with something. A handful of almonds would be good.

As a beginner you really don’t need to worry too much about exact makeup of your diet as long as you are eating reasonably clean which you appear to be doing. Overall calorie intake will be more important at the moment.

It is good to get used to eating well though as it will help vastly in the future. I wish I’d started out eating half as well as that when I started lifting/training. There was no T-Nation to help out though back then.

As far as the spin goes, I only really have one question. How do you manage to do 30 minutes of spin after a workout?

OK - Yeah I know really. What I’m saying is that if you have the energy to do that after a workout, then you can put more into your workout.

How about skipping the spin and throwing in some HIIT once a week? Maybe a tabata session if you can handle it and own your own sick bucket.

BTW - Where are you from? I am guessing UK with your use of the word “crisps”.

Otep pposted these elsewhere - very much worth a read.

Mark Rippetoe’s Starting Strength


T-dawg Diet 2.0
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=473067

thnx, i figured my diet was fairly good and im guessing its only a fact of keeping to it to see the progress.

regarding the spinning, i pretty much take it as HITT training. I listen to my ipod where i have a set program.

regarding the energy left after the workout, well if im only working one muscle for a max of 45 minutes say 4 exercises i still have energy left.

here is an example of what i do for chest.

bench - 4 sets of 74kg - 8 reps

decline dumbell press - 4 sets, 8reps - 30kg in each hand

incline flies - 17.5kg each hand - 4 sets - 8 reps

standard flies - 15kg each hand - 4 sets - 8 reps

and 2 more exercises i dont know the names of.

  • im from spain :smiley:

[quote]Joseph7 wrote:
thnx, i figured my diet was fairly good and im guessing its only a fact of keeping to it to see the progress.

regarding the spinning, i pretty much take it as HITT training. I listen to my ipod where i have a set program.

regarding the energy left after the workout, well if im only working one muscle for a max of 45 minutes say 4 exercises i still have energy left.

here is an example of what i do for chest.

bench - 4 sets of 74kg - 8 reps

decline dumbell press - 4 sets, 8reps - 30kg in each hand

incline flies - 17.5kg each hand - 4 sets - 8 reps

standard flies - 15kg each hand - 4 sets - 8 reps

and 2 more exercises i dont know the names of.

  • im from spain :smiley:

[/quote]

SPAIN??? Damn - Another example of a non-brit speaking better English than me. :wink:

I really think you should be changing your workout to something like is outlined above, or a full on 5x5 for a while. This will vastly increase your strength and help in fat burning. Keep the spin if you are hitting it hard enough to class it as HIIT.

Apart from that and a food/workout log, take some pictures and measurements so you can see your improvements. 2 months isn’t long but I suspect if you had a photo from when you started and compare it to now you would see a difference.

Hang in there. The improvements will come.

[quote]Renton wrote:
Joseph7 wrote:
thnx, i figured my diet was fairly good and im guessing its only a fact of keeping to it to see the progress.

regarding the spinning, i pretty much take it as HITT training. I listen to my ipod where i have a set program.

regarding the energy left after the workout, well if im only working one muscle for a max of 45 minutes say 4 exercises i still have energy left.

here is an example of what i do for chest.

bench - 4 sets of 74kg - 8 reps

decline dumbell press - 4 sets, 8reps - 30kg in each hand

incline flies - 17.5kg each hand - 4 sets - 8 reps

standard flies - 15kg each hand - 4 sets - 8 reps

and 2 more exercises i dont know the names of.

  • im from spain :smiley:

SPAIN??? Damn - Another example of a non-brit speaking better English than me. :wink:

I really think you should be changing your workout to something like is outlined above, or a full on 5x5 for a while. This will vastly increase your strength and help in fat burning. Keep the spin if you are hitting it hard enough to class it as HIIT.

Apart from that and a food/workout log, take some pictures and measurements so you can see your improvements. 2 months isn’t long but I suspect if you had a photo from when you started and compare it to now you would see a difference.

Hang in there. The improvements will come.[/quote]

Im not sure what your talking about when you mention the workout. That is my current work out, are you saying its bad? if so what do you suggest? Try and explain in detail if you have the time as im not used to some of the terminology. thank you

[quote]Joseph7 wrote:
Im not sure what your talking about when you mention the workout. That is my current work out, are you saying its bad? if so what do you suggest? Try and explain in detail if you have the time as im not used to some of the terminology. thank you
[/quote]

I think he was talking about putting yourself on Rippetoe’s program:

Mark Rippetoe’s Starting Strength
forum.dutchbodybuilding…

sorry that link doesn’t work for me…

I started doing this last week:

It pretty much lays the plan out for you: How to calculate starting calories, and how to break down your macros and plan your meals. I put all the food I buy into fitday, and plan out my meals for the next day every night before bed. I’m dropping some weight, but it will be awhile before anything noticeable.

thnx for your input, i will defiantly read up on this when i get home later on :smiley:

thank you

im also making a diary of what i eat each day ill post todays eating later tonight.

[quote]Joseph7 wrote:
ok thnx guys, anything you need to help me out with please ask. im willing to post whatever i have to to get this sorted.

breakfast - 8 30AM

  • 1 piece of brown bread toasted
  • cup of water
  • banana

snack - break time school 11 AM

  • often have crisps but from today cutting this out

lunch - 1 - 2 PM

  • 2 wraps with beacon and egg
  • water

– after workout 4 - 5 PM

  • low carb protein shake
  • small plate of meatballs (2 - 4)

snack 5 - 6PM

  • low fat yog with apple

dinner - 7 - 8PM

  • steak
  • vegetables - brocolli, sweetcorn

workout

monday - chest/ abs
tuesday - biceps/ triceps
wed - break
thursday - shoulders/abs
friday - back

when i have time i also do a 30min sessions of spinning after my workouts.
[/quote]

-no protein for breakfast???
-snack 5 wheres the protein??
-if you cut out the first snack you go 5 hours without eating… that’s bad