T Nation

I Need 8 Hours of Sleep With ZMA

Do you find it makes you kinda slow to actually become wakeful the morning <after rising, obviously> after using it if you don’t sleep a full 8 hours?

I find ZMA makes me feel pretty groggy in the early morning if I don’t get enough sleep… almost moreso than if I hadn’t used ZMA.

To rephrase this if it wasn’t clear, I feel groggy for the first 20-30 minutes in the morning after using ZMA if I don’t get a full 8 hours or more of sleep.

Happens to me as well. If I don’t sleep as long as my body would naturally (without an alarm), I’m definitely groggy when I wake up.

Tell me about it.

I have been noticing it alot more lately because I have switched to two-a-days. So I have been averaging 5 1/2 - 6 hours of sleep a night (Please nobody try to lecture me on the importance of sleep blah blah blah). If I take ZMA before sleeping on these nights getting up and going in the morning is more intense than my damn workout.

In fact, the other morning I woke up at 4:30, took 1 Spike, chugged a Lo-carb monster, sat down for a minute, and next thing I know its 7:15.

The Magnesium in ZMA and its absorption would probably lead to an increase in strength. Magnesium supplementation is documented to add maximum contractile strength, so if you are stronger you may lift more and put more strain on the body making you more tired.

I only get 6 hours of sleep a night during the week thanks to my lovely job, and the hour drive every morning. Anyway I take both ZMA and GABA about an hour before I go to bed and I feel fine in the morning. Try taking it a little before bed and experiment with what time works best for you.

[quote]TDog305 wrote:
Tell me about it.

I have been noticing it alot more lately because I have switched to two-a-days. So I have been averaging 5 1/2 - 6 hours of sleep a night (Please nobody try to lecture me on the importance of sleep blah blah blah). If I take ZMA before sleeping on these nights getting up and going in the morning is more intense than my damn workout.

In fact, the other morning I woke up at 4:30, took 1 Spike, chugged a Lo-carb monster, sat down for a minute, and next thing I know its 7:15.[/quote]

lafffff that shit is funny. see, i take ECA most morning immediately after brushing my teeth in the morning with a whole lot of ice water, before breakfast… helps me snap out of the ZMA grogginess.

[quote]Dr. Stig wrote:
The Magnesium in ZMA and its absorption would probably lead to an increase in strength. Magnesium supplementation is documented to add maximum contractile strength, so if you are stronger you may lift more and put more strain on the body making you more tired.

[/quote]

that’s definitely NOT it.

I have stopped taking the ZMA for this reason. My schedule I get home from work about 10pm and go back in about 5am. I get done with my morning clients about 9am, eat a meal and take a nap til about 1pm. Lift, back to work for the evening round of clients and I get home again about 10pm and in bed between 11 and 12. I think I’m gonna stay off ZMA for a couple weeks and see if it makes it any easier on me.

Actually I have found the opposite. I’ve been taking ZMA for about 1 week and seem to wake up before my alarm (Never done that before). When I do wake up I pop my HRX, Methoxy-7, and TRIBEX Gold before hittin my am cardio… SO I guess you could say ZMA helps me do my cardio :wink:

Justin

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
Dr. Stig wrote:

that’s definitely NOT it.[/quote]

I was only being partially serious.

I feel this way as well. I was discussing this with my roommate, and he said he never had the problem. I am definitely dead if I take ZMA and don’t get a lot of sleep.

Bear

Well its prob only asking/allowing you to get the amount of sleep you should have or really need. Sleep is a HUGE and often overloooked peice of the puzzle.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Well its prob only asking/allowing you to get the amount of sleep you should have or really need. Sleep is a HUGE and often overloooked peice of the puzzle.
[/quote]

wow amazing insight!

[quote]justinb19 wrote:
Actually I have found the opposite. I’ve been taking ZMA for about 1 week and seem to wake up before my alarm (Never done that before). When I do wake up I pop my HRX, Methoxy-7, and TRIBEX Gold before hittin my am cardio… SO I guess you could say ZMA helps me do my cardio :wink:
[/quote]
I have been taking ZMA for about a year and a half and have noticed that I always wake up too early in the morning and have difficulty in trying to get back to sleep. I usually take three capsules about a half an hour before I turn in. I delude myself by thinking that maybe the sleep that I get while taking ZMA is actually of higher quality.

Michael.

[quote]stoic27 wrote:
justinb19 wrote:

I have been taking ZMA for about a year and a half and have noticed that I always wake up too early in the morning and have difficulty in trying to get back to sleep. I usually take three capsules about a half an hour before I turn in. I delude myself by thinking that maybe the sleep that I get while taking ZMA is actually of higher quality.

Michael.[/quote]

Split it up throughout the day.

Problem solved

Hey guys,

Most of what I’ve read suggests that waking up feeling groggy is a good sign. If you just pop right up along with your morning wood, you probably weren’t in a deep sleep.

Problem solved[/quote]

It is not as simple as that, as there are dietary considerations to take into account when using ZMA.

It’s been a staple of mine for the past year or so. I only take 2 caps per night. If you chronically take it, maby try only 2 caps instead.

[quote]stoic27 wrote:

Problem solved

It is not as simple as that, as there are dietary considerations to take into account when using ZMA.

[/quote]

Not really, it only takes 30 min to digest.

So pop it 30 min before a meal.

Problem solved :slight_smile:

""It is not as simple as that, as there are dietary considerations to take into account when using ZMA. “”

Yes, specifically, avoid dairy and calcium containing products with ZMA.