T Nation

I’m Looking for Article on Dosages

If you have any links to articles that discuss why a specific does is given or how a doctor decides on a dose, I’d appreciate them!

Thanks and be well!

Cheers!

Dosage is completely subjective. A doc will decide on a starting dose bases on personal experience (usually 100mg a week) get tests in 6-8 weeks and adjust from there.

1 Like

The answer depends on the type of doctor. PCPs, urologists and endocrinologists will usually follow Endocrine Society guidelines.

https://www.endocrineweb.com/professional/endoscan/201403/abstract/what-endocrine-society-guidelines-testosterone-therapy-mean-en

Doctors that specialize in TRT or HRT are generally self trained and typically base treatment on symptoms. Dosing ranges from 100-200mg weekly (injections) and will tend to be higher compared to the Endocrine Society recommendations mentioned above.

1 Like

The best ‘middle ground’ where you don’t have to be concerned about not taking enough, nor concerned about not taking too much, would probably be roughly 150mg a week for the majority of guys. You can then adjust if required. If you start getting crazy side effects right off the bat, it would mean you don’t tolerate it well and should drop the dose way down and start low until symptoms subside. That’s the ‘simple’ answer.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll bring this to him and see where it goes. Based on reading I think I’d rather not start that low and just hold off.

If you need to explain this stuff to your doc, you need to find a new doc…

3 Likes

Danny makes a good point above. However, if your doctor is willing to be open minded, it could still work out. Many use TRT without medical supervision. Look at the number of guys that come on here for advice and manage their own TRT based on this forum. I think that is good and bad, as some members obviously know more about this than most doctors, while some dish out inaccurate, or even dangerous, concepts.

There is no way to know, but it would be very interesting to know how many black market TRT users out there.

2 Likes

This is part of the problem, aside from the standard 200mg every 2-4 weeks that a lot of doctors still follow for a medicine with a half-life of 7-8 days (cypionate) is just bat-shit stupid, there is nothing written and why you’ll see such large discrepancy between what doctors are prescribing.

As far as articles on TRT, you are going to be waiting a long time. The truth is everyone is different, take these examples, I’m at 7mg daily (49 mg weekly, low SHBG), or Highpull last time I checked is at 150mg 1x weekly and Danny at 250mg weekly->split up daily.

If your doctor is nervous about directing your TRT protocol, he will keep your levels suboptimal (<500) leaving you symptomatic forcing you to see out a new doctor, very common. The fact that you are here seeking proper dosing for men on TRT suggest you lack confidence in your doctor.

2 Likes

I’m always seeking knowledge. Not one for signing up for bro-science though this turns out as a great reference point.

Thanks for the reply. I think my doctor falls under those that aren’t really familiar with the process but is very willing to help. That I appreciate.

That’s what I like about him the most. He’s willing to help and listen.

Cheers!

1 Like

200mg, but thinking of experimenting with 50mg every 60 hours.

Here’s part of the problem for doctors who don’t have a clue.
From Drugs.com,

Usual Adult Dose for Hypogonadism - Male

IM INJECTION :
-Testosterone Undecanoate: 750 mg (3 mL) IM injection followed by 750 mg (3 mL) injected after 4 weeks, then 750 mg (3 mL) every 10 weeks thereafter
-Testosterone Enanthate and Cypionate: 50 to 400 mg IM injection every 2 to 4 weeks

I’ve also seen similar statements saying 100-200 mg every two weeks.

The TOP endocrinologist in Montreal (where I live) told me to take 400mg of Enanthate once a month.

No bullshit.

2 Likes

He must be French.

My first dosage, from my PCP, was 100mg every 14 days. The hot flashes and anxiety spikes from that roller coaster were epic.

1 Like

The endocrine society is incredibly conservative… from what I recall they don’t recommend TRT being initiated unless levels are below 175ng/dl

Guidelines are 75mg weekly, 100mg weekly max…

200mg e2w actually does work, I’ve done 250mg e2w, it works… but there’s a pretty fat dip at the end (not to the extent that I’d feel as bad as I did pre TRT)… note

Under this guideline, 400mg e2w still fits… that’s 200mg weekly.

Imagine he gets you on this protocol, asks for bloods a week in… Test is 2000ng/dl, he freaks the fuck out… “take 400mg every 8 weeks”

2 Likes

These men are outliers, there are so few of them it’s not even worth mentioning. The clinical study is pretty clear. I wonder if you had done it longer would those dips have gotten bigger making the protocol less effective as time passes.

That’s not the point. If uninformed doctors look at this many are likely to start at the low end causing grief for many months for the patient until/and if the patient is able to make them budge on dosage/frequency. Also, every 2 weeks is not weekly. They don’t even mention weekly as an option. The original doctor (PA I should say) that put me on injections probably read something like this and started me out on 100 mg every 2 weeks. I felt like I wanted to die.

Yes it does. It’s easy to forget all the guys on testosterone through their primary, or a urologist or endocrinologist going in every other week for their shot. I know an employee at an large urology practice and she told me all the guys want to come in on Friday for their injection, getting set for the weekend. These guys are very happy on TRT. Would they be happier injecting every week? Probably, but in the meantime, they say TRT is great.